Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 6th February 2012, 21:58
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Thanks Peter/Robin will give them a call.

I have that some hole in the underside of the pedal box, never did anything with it.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:01
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Not sure what the IVA man would have to say about open access to the engine bay so may seal it up just for that
It never even got a mention at my SVA and I'm sure they must have seen it as they spent a good time inspecting under the car.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:07

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

I do so wish I had read your excellent site Jason before I started it this morning. Could have saved a lot of swearing and wondering how the hell you undo the bas**** nuts.
Hey ho
Old 7th February 2012, 11:16
Enthusiast

wow that site has the most terrible shopping cart system I've ever run into! Got there in the end though.
Old 7th February 2012, 20:51

andrew curtis is on a distinguished road

At last l'm in the madabout site still cannot get into M O C site !,Anyway many thanks to every one for their help and information with the servo upgrade on my sportster it's a great result as reported through Mike
Old 7th February 2012, 21:09
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew curtis View Post
At last l'm in the madabout site still cannot get into M O C site !,Anyway many thanks to every one for their help and information with the servo upgrade on my sportster it's a great result as reported through Mike
Welcome, Andrew!

Great to hear about your breaking news (ugh!)
Old 7th February 2012, 21:55
Enthusiast

hi Andrew, thanks for the review
Old 7th February 2012, 23:38

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road

Hi Andrew, thanks for the review!

I have a 20mm Cortina MC but I am some way off being able to test it. I think it will be fine though.

On the subject of the servo nuts, I am pretty sure that the access plate I have cut will make removing/refitting much easier

John
Old 8th February 2012, 07:42

mashtun is on a distinguished road

Hi Andrew and welcome aboard! I've been mightily impressed with the friendly & helpful advice that abounds on the Madabout forums and this particular thread's a great example.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:32
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
wow that site has the most terrible shopping cart system I've ever run into! Got there in the end though.
It arrived today, very quick shipping
Old 8th February 2012, 18:36

andrew curtis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree11 View Post
Hi Andrew, thanks for the review!

I have a 20mm Cortina MC but I am some way off being able to test it. I think it will be fine though.

On the subject of the servo nuts, I am pretty sure that the access plate I have cut will make removing/refitting much easier

John
What made my job so easy was the fact that l had previously cut a square 3" hole thro the top of the bulkhead alowing acess to the linkage,Brake peddle to servo and top two studs of servo ,This was done 3 or 4 years ago to change the mini servo for another to no avail !,It may be of intrest that the conection between peddle and servo consised of a very small yoke from the servo [non ajustable]to a solid square bar with a bolt through it and a bolt through the other end side mounted to the brake peddle, I have side mounted the new larger H D yoke strait onto the brake peddle as there is plenty of length and thread ajustment , it keeps the alinment strait and anyway the bolt cannot be withdrawn totaly from the brake peddle as it fouls the framework beteew this and cluch , The only other mod was to replace the push rod from servo to master cylinder all pipes were long enough [my luck] so the actual job only took as long as it takes undo nuts bolts and pipes etc oh and bleeding brakes !
Old 9th February 2012, 08:40
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew curtis View Post
It may be of intrest that the conection between peddle and servo consised of a very small yoke from the servo [non ajustable]to a solid square bar with a bolt through it and a bolt through the other end side mounted to the brake peddle
Welcome Andrew!

That sounds like the standard arrangement. Good idea to have a trap door in the top of the bulkhead for access. I may do that myself as nowadays I find crawling upside down in a footwell less and less attractive...

Cheers

Robin
Old 9th February 2012, 14:14

I visited Marlin recently and on the car they were building at the time (the one recently reviewed in CKC, Mark has cut two access holes. One in the top and one in the side. You can see them in one of the pictures in the article. I have put one in the side and I think it is adequate but to put another in the top would be an easy job. John
Old 9th February 2012, 19:33
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Last Servo Kit Sold

The last of the Dual 7" servo kits has been sold and dispatched today.
I have no more available.

I had partly intended to take it to Stoneleigh, so I hope some of you early adoptors will bring your cars along to show them off?

Mike
Old 9th February 2012, 20:27
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
The last of the Dual 7" servo kits has been sold and dispatched today.
I have no more available.

I had partly intended to take it to Stoneleigh, so I hope some of you early adoptors will bring your cars along to show them off?

Mike
Mike, I was hoping to see your car at Stoneleigh this year
Are you thinking about becoming MBM's European distributor? Maybe a good business opportunity if Mrs Garner can stand any more Servo boxes

Seriously though, we ought to get Nigel Dean (Kit Car guru and jorno) to take a peep as I'm sure it would be of great interest to a whole range of Kitcars.

...peter
Old 9th February 2012, 21:02
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I'll be there. With a painted car this time! Barclays will be paying for my paint job either one way or the other (bonus or redundancy payment)
Old 10th February 2012, 07:18

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Paint at last!
Same Jaguar colour or have you changed your mind again?
Old 10th February 2012, 07:59
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Same colour - jag black cherry.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:22
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Are you thinking about becoming MBM's European distributor? Maybe a good business opportunity if Mrs Garner can stand any more Servo boxes

...peter
Mmmmmm, I do seem to have become quite possessive of this little project. That's why I am trying to close it off from my involvement now. Hopefully everyone has enough knowledge and detail to see their own car through to successful completion.

I was a bit disappointed that we only picked up 3 owners away from the Madabout site who joined in (Alan Hogg, Ian Papworth, and Rob Aubrey from MOC forum). The benefits seem so good to me that there must be others (I know one for certain) who would benefit from the upgrade. However, we have advertised the upgrade through the MOC Forum, and through the Pitstop magazine, so there is little more we can do. I would like to think show-casing the up grade at Stoneleigh would be the natural end of this little project.
For those that follow, the information is out there: the adaptor plate will be the only item that can not be bought off the shelf. But any self respecting kit car builder could make one/get one made. (I still have the opportunity to get a second batch made, but only if there are 10 or more interested)

So, good luck to all, and do let us all know your own results/experiences.

(Robin, Patrick, and Peter(ux) are all fairly close to letting us know how their cars compare before and after)

Mike
Old 10th February 2012, 18:46

Mike, Greeting from Canada (warmer than there I think!) Thanks for all your hard work on this. I am sure that we are all far better off now. I for one really appreciate it. John