Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 1st October 2016, 18:43
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Techniques, products, materials, components and build/construction will always change over time.
Apart from build/construction methods I think basic kit style and possiably the whole kit car industry can be split into 3 main categories or as I call them "hats"

I, The flying helmet and goggles.
This is the quirky segment , ie; Pembelton's , Lomax's, BRA ect. Built for the fun side of motoring.

2, The crash helmet,
The racers ie; 7's, Fisher Fury, Dax, Mev ect. Built for their speed and their racing ability's.

3, The flat cap.
The upper class, ie; GTO's, Cobra's, 250 SWB. Built for their style and presence.

Most of the kits in production today are designed to fit one of these "hats"

That said the Spyder doesn't fit directly into anyone of these "hats" but with not too much effort can be built by the individual builder to fit any one of them, for example.
The flying helmet = MAX224 style .
The crash helmet = phil9 style and my BMW style.
The flat cap = Swifty style.
Three very different styles made from the same basic shape. I belive this is why the old school Spyer has lasted so long.

But as paulL says.

Now I want to stay within JG/John's guidelines and "play nice", but there needs to be a reality check at this point.

I have always been positive about the original Sammio Spyder and think that "cheap and cheerful" is a fair description.

However, the fact that so many builders have created so many top quality examples is not linked to the quality of the original kit.
( See the "Useful Info" sticky for more examples.)

Suggestion Box:

Original Sammio Spyder
- Update the moulds to remove the few small issues that the builders were excepted to fix themselves.
- Update the internal framework to match, perhaps with some optional extras (e.g. handbrake & exhaust mounts).

New Sammio Spyder/Alpha
- Put a final version of this kit into production.

Stick to two simple Sammio products, one for the Herald and one for the Spitfire.

Spot-on paull.
This was my original business plan for SAMMIO.
The Spyder shape would remain unchanged but the "issues" would be sorted out along with tring to find a new donor.
I never dreamed the consequence of developing such an plan would take so long, so much time, so much effort and so much money

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There are very few long term Tribute builds, yet spending 3/4/5 years building a Sammio is the norm.

I meet Oxford a few weeks old and we both agreed how important the forum was to our builds.

But any relaunched Sammio Spyder has to appeal against the competition.

Again spot-on.

2017 Sammio/Ribble/Miglia Gathering:

Perhaps we should arrange a get together next Summer, when the good weather returns?

Again spot-on

The location would be critical, maybe a central holiday park so it could be spread over a weekend

Old 1st October 2016, 19:11
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Forgot to say the bonnet scoop on the SAMMIO Alpha has now been removed but will remain an optional extra

Old 2nd October 2016, 06:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

I like Micky1mo's "hats" comparison and Gary's "Glue ons" description.

I think you could group the build/construction options into three similar "boxes".

Meccano
- Everything from Caterhams & Westfields up to Ultimas.
- Predominately new parts and detailed instruction manuals.
- Kit costs are high, but build times are reduced (relatively).

Glue Ons
- Fibreglass panel kits from Tribute & DNA using relatively newer donor cars.
- Kit prices are "medium", but build times can be very quick.

Specials
- Obviously, this is where the Sammio comes in, using older Herald/Spitfire donors.
( At "just" 36, my car is one of the youngest Sammios, but most are 40/50 years old. )
- Kit prices are low, but build times are long*.
( * For most amateurs, not professional builders like Lancelot Link & Patoune. )

Which brings me back to the points Pops & Roadster were making…

When the Sammio Spyder was launched it was indeed a radial change from the "Meccano" kits.

By comparison, #66 was simple/spartan and, personally, that is what I loved about it.

As Mister Towed often says, you assemble a Caterham, but build a Sammio.

Unfortunately, I think it is the "challenge" of building a Sammio that ultimately restricts sales.

Although the original website's "How To" photo guide did make it look easy.

So I guess I should have been clearer that I was comparing the "Specials" to the "Glue Ons".

I had to look it up, but this is when Tribute launched these demos:
- MX250 - May 2012
- SWB 250 - August 2014

My point is that the SWB 250 now gives you an option of a classic car look, with modern car performance.

In addition, it could be built in a fraction of the time that an original Sammio would take the same builder.

Why limit your target market to a "hard core" of people prepared to spend years building a Sammio?

Anyway, that is a lot of words, with no photos, so I'll stop there.

Cheers, Paul.