Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 3rd December 2011, 14:54

lancelot link is on a distinguished road
Default Barry Mays Sammio Spyder Build....

Carrying on from the initial thread relating to this car appearing on ebay - Barry Mays from East Preston near Littlehampton has bought the car and has asked us to get involved in finishing her with a few changes...

Here's how she arrived.....

As you can see this is very early .....car number 2 in fact. Pretty much produced before the moulds were finished for production and sold before the Exeter launch in 2010.

The car features a heavily modified German style bonnet ...the only one available at that time and has the earlier skinny body as well...

Barry has asked for a Lancia style bonnet to be fitted and because we fattened the later bodies up a bit to accept the Lancia bonnet proportions better and also because this early body has only been temporarily fitted ...we have decided to change the body as well...

So , if anyone wants a cheap , secondhand Early Sammio body , please email me direct....before it goes on ebay !

£275 ONO.

Barry's car is an early Vitesse Mk 1 chassis with a GT6 engine fitted...having previously spent time under a Spartan , it has the engine set back and raised slightly.....we might need to deal with some clearance issues on the bonnet with a central scoop or bulge , bit like Phil Jacklin has had to on his....

The chassis is like new ! Everything new or refurbed....its very nice...
The internal framework is home made as no frames were available at that time and its not too bad ...I will have to make some slight mods , but more of that later....

Barry has given me a degree of freedom on this car to take it the way I want - obviously I will liase with him on any changes , he likes his D-types by the sound of things , so colour could be Jaguar influenced ( maybe Ecosse blue ) with all things considered , my freedom , the Vitesse/Spartan chassis , wheels etc...this could be a slightly different build .......

Last edited by lancelot link; 3rd December 2011 at 15:03..
Available from eBay
Old 5th December 2011, 19:33

so following on from my previous posting , we have made a new body for Barry and fitted it temporarily ( slung it on ! ) to see what changes we need to make to the existing framework....first glances show not too bad , dash line is wrong and steering bit too far back , but not too bad....

As suspected the change in engine position has raised an issue or two....centre of the engine is ok , a nice purposeful looking scoop will deal with that ...we are also going to have to make a teardrop blister style bulge to deal with the carbs...It will look pretty aggressive when done and with the side exhaust etc should look like it means business !

more progress tomorrow....
Old 5th December 2011, 21:32

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Looking better already and I do like the colour.
Old 10th December 2011, 14:28

Colour is what happens when you have a few tins with 'not quite enough ' in them !

Actually looks alright with the black rims....

I think this car is going to end up Ecosse blue - which I am looking forward to...nice to see different colours being tried out.

Barry has asked for this mod.....MOCK UP ONLY !!

We will produce a mould and these will be offered as an option for our Spyder range...

will add pics as it develops....
Old 10th December 2011, 15:08

I'm glad you pointed out that it's only at the mock-up stage Gary, it's so seamless it looks like your actual D-Type.

Ecosse blue's going to look stunning, especially with that fin on the back.

On the subject of colour, will the primer colour make a significant difference to the top-coat hue? If so, what's the ideal primer colour for a dark red finish?

I'm almost settled on RAL pearl ruby red for mine as it's the closest I've found to the colour I've seen most D24's finished in and I rather like dark red.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2804287885...84.m1423.l2649

Oh, I hope you got what you needed to recoup from the 550 project and good luck with the spitfire donor transition. That makes real sense given the ready supply of very cheap mk IV's and 1500's on ebay.

BTW, they do 5 litre tins for £80 delivered free. That looks like good value to me, anyone agree/disagree?

Last edited by Mister Towed; 10th December 2011 at 15:15.. Reason: Additonal info.
Old 10th December 2011, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I'm glad you pointed out that it's only at the mock-up stage Gary, it's so seamless it looks like your actual D-Type.

Ecosse blue's going to look stunning, especially with that fin on the back.

On the subject of colour, will the primer colour make a significant difference to the top-coat hue? If so, what's the ideal primer colour for a dark red finish?

I'm almost settled on RAL pearl ruby red for mine as it's the closest I've found to the colour I've seen most D24's finished in and I rather like dark red.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2804287885...84.m1423.l2649

Oh, I hope you got what you needed to recoup from the 550 project and good luck with the spitfire donor transition. That makes real sense given the ready supply of very cheap mk IV's and 1500's on ebay.
TOWED....
That is your actual genuine Racer tape holding that fin in place you know....as used by many a Banger Racer round these parts ....

I am looking forward to the blue going on ....try and talk him into some roundalls climbing up the fin as well - I think...

Primer can make a difference but not with a dark red really ...I would use grey on that...

Porsche mouldings got me back about half what they cost - but I am cool with that...

Spitty project has me a bit fired up .....just gotta finish the G46 and accessories but nearly there...first G46 BODY goes out Tuesday....

I am thinking of using a version of that fin on the Spitty version...
Old 10th December 2011, 15:28

I can see a Spitfire based D Type-alike flying out of your lock-up Gary.

As for your (barely noticeable) use of sticky tape, I used to work on Tornado fighters and you'd be surprised how often damaged bits got bodged together with 'speed tape' by the riggers (airframe fitters).

And thanks for the advice about the primer, I was struggling to find an answer to that one.
Old 10th December 2011, 15:47

'Been looking at pic's of the D-Types and noticed that the fins (on the ones that have them) aren't level, but are angled up into the airstream:

I know you don't copy originals as such Gary but I thought you might like to try both styles before making a mould.
Old 10th December 2011, 15:50

YOU ARE RIGHT TOWED ....We have a picture on the workshop wall of one thats really raked....I just thought the level'ish ones looked better !!

MORE AERO LIKE...

Looking at that picture , you can see how short the D type looks - which was one reasoning for using its 'styling' as a background for the shorter Spit version.
Also , the Spitty wheels have a bit of a Dunlop look about them.....

Last edited by lancelot link; 10th December 2011 at 15:52..
Old 10th December 2011, 16:03

Yes it is a shorter looking car than the D24. As for the spitfire wheels I've posted this link before for the dummy spinners that would complete the Dunlop look:

https://www.europaspares.com/product...____CPDS_.html

My plan was to attach them to the spitfire centre trims but decided to go with wires eventually instead.
Old 10th December 2011, 16:31

I knew I'd seen Dunlop race wheel replicas available somewhere...

http://www.classic-jaguar-racing.co....lery.php?cat=7

The polished ones look like good value.
Old 11th December 2011, 16:54

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

This is fun.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:54

did a bit more today - Barry has requested doors , so doors he shall have !!

We are going to take a splash mould from this car and develop a mould insert that can be used with our existing moulds to give the option of doors or no doors next year.
The Cordite will be the same as well.....

early days but modified internal frame and a big hole is a start !!

doors are about 27'' long and about 17'' deep - approx measurements and the front curves so that the shut is slightly in front of the screen but curves back to behind the screen at the top ....similar to a Porsche 550...

door shut detail and inner door structure to follow...I will be using 2mm steel plate where possible to give strength to the shuts ...when we offer these as an option , steel plates will be supplied as part of the package...

Last edited by lancelot link; 23rd December 2011 at 15:58..
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:32

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Steering wheel looks quite low...

;-)
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:45

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Oh dear, I always wanted doors on ours...........

Better get the angle grinder out again.
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:06

Patton is on a distinguished road

Hi Gary, you and Mike managed to to get some work done then after my unannonuced visit and all the yaking, well I was in the area "be rude not to". Thanks on the advice and tips on painting Skippy I'll ring you the end of next week, PAT
Old 8th January 2012, 12:44

Managed to get a few bits done on this beastie this week...

Mike has created shuts now and got one door provisionally hung - lots of gapping to do but it gives you an idea of where its going...

The doors have been made from the original outer skins and ply shuts. This is all bonded and glassed together....Because Barry's is the first ( 2nd ) to be done , his will be slightly different as future examples will be moulded and produced in glassfibre.....

This picture shows the hinges in place ....TRIUMPH HERALD BOOT HINGES ...So don't throw them away as I will buy them !!

Further pics show reworking of the dash area using most of the original frame but re-positioned and our template for the tail fin....This follows the line of the headrest and boot area and goes just past the rear of the car by about an inch and then curls back slightly...bit more interesting than straight down.
When we supply these as accessories , they will be moulded with a bottom flange ( oo-er ! ) that will fit the existing body contours and give you a mounting lip about an inch or so to sikkoflex / bond / rivet the panel in place...

Final instalment shows the beginnings of Mikes patterning for a bonnet scoop.
We were lucky with the GT6 engine - it has been raised which I thought was going to be an a*se ache , but because it has been moved back a few inches , it has saved the day....no part of the rocker protrudes the bonnet...I thought we were going to have to fit a Phil Jacklin style scoop AND a blister for the carbs , and it could have looked a bit too busy....now we just need an asymetrical scoop for the carbs....I think it is going to look ok for it ...the tail fin , scoop and sidepipe give you a suggestion of the six cylinder thats lurking and gives the Sammio a bit of an edgy look....

Old 8th January 2012, 17:41

That's coming together really nicely. And the scoop doesn't look out of place either, the D24's are covered in them.
Old 9th January 2012, 18:35

bit more detail on the scoop now....Barry asked for Rivet detail on the scoop and the rear fin.

Mike has made some goor progress here.....

I like the opening to the scoop- cut back slightly with a bevelled front lip and the mounting flange...looks like it could be hand crafted ally and when its all painted in the Ecosse Blue , its going to look great...

Last edited by lancelot link; 9th January 2012 at 18:38..
Old 9th January 2012, 18:42

Roadster is on a distinguished road

i like the look of this
Its going to be a looker when its all in its new livery