Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 25th May 2015, 21:04

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

Did you try a post on difflock forum? It would be a major engineering job to fit portals on an ML, do they even have a proper separate chassis? How does the drive get to the rear end? Have they a separate transfer box? Anything is do able with enough time and money but it would be far easier to put the ML engine and dash in the g wagen mated to whatever gear box then have a prop shaft made to fit existing transfer box then extend the chassis and fit another standard back axle floating behind. There are sometimes Jeep Cherokees on eBay with portal axles that go for less than the axles would of cost.saying that the ML would never work in 4 wheel drive unless you could somehow match exactly the diff ratios in the portal to the existing front diff. Good luck with it. Ed.
Old 1st June 2015, 20:06

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

To be honnest big scary monster the more ive looked into this the more im thinking to just stick to the origional idea of just swaping the bodies and having an 02 plate G wagon that looks the biz rather than going down the 6x6 route, although it would of been nice!
Old 3rd June 2015, 08:07

Agreed it would be tremendous but it would be so hard to engineer and there is a huge risk of it not driving well if at all on the road, you could always disconnect all drive to the rear wheels and just have front wheel drive which would wheelspin like a maniac and sound brilliant screeching the big tyres ( although somewhat ruining the 6x6 illusion) I look forward to seeing what you achieve as your kobra and gto are my favourites of each so far, I think I would do a 4 wheel one first then you can sit and stare and ponder about an extra axle. Hope I didn't sound like a massive downer I was only sharing the experiences I have had or been involved in, in fact the land cruiser I posted pictures of has been off the road for months due to diff ratio issues whilst trying to fit diff lockers that have to come from Australia , that and he has lost the keys. What colour you thinking for the Spanish streets? Matte black and carbon wrap has been done to death in marbella anyway, think I'd go baby blue especially for the wife's car. There is a maclaran SLR brush painted by hand very badly with blackboard paint that knocks around the harbour in marbella its kind of the ultimate screw you I'm loaded car. Ed
Old 3rd June 2015, 08:32

Brain wave build your original plan you then have a g wagen rolling chassis once the floors removed this has a proper chassis solid axles proper transfer box and would be much easier to add an extra axle probably even possible to make it a driven one then put an extended g body back on take molds off the back and arches and sell them.
Or sell the g rolling chassis on the diff lock 4x4 forum, quarry basher buggy builders will pay a good price for it I recon. Ed
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:01

This is what forums are all about, advice! And I'm glad you gave me some much needed. Im going to just go with the body swap and the choice of colour will be either the VXR Blue to match my wifes Range Rover or maybe a Ferrari Red. Its defiantly not going to be black, silver or white as thats all you can seem to find for sale at the min.

I will also be on the look out for another G wagon thats running in the future to build a G wagon 6x6 as appose to a ml 6x6. (But dont tell the wife!)
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:24

Well you don't tell mine about the new ride on mower I NEED to sit next to the speed boat, 2 Jeeps, camper, and motor cross bike, oh and I might NEED a new van as well as those new transit appeal, she doesn't go into my garage much as long as her Lexus is polished every month I'm rite.
I thought I'd read you where building it for her, was that just a rouse?
What I thought this aft was there must be a market for a body swap g wagen be it 4x4 or 6x4 to fit on a discovery chassis also it would really annoy the merc purests , what's your weather like ? My friend in Majorca's just invited me over. Ed.
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:28

The origional plan for the g wagon body swap would end up being my wifes but she wasnt interested in no 6x6! Im in Mexico at the min and the weather is warm but been rainy. Its better weather in Alicante where I live!
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:38

MonsterCan is on a distinguished road

Why not make a Mercedes-Benz G500 4x4² it is in the £200,000 range so very exclusive.
And it is a lot more usable then the 6x6 and also cheaper to build.
Old 4th June 2015, 14:03

I think im going to stick with the body swap 1st and see how I get on with it!
Old 4th June 2015, 14:07

Just bought the wheels, 22" AMG replicas. Tyres are 283/35/22. I may need to put bigger tyres on to make them look right But the good news is they are the same size tyres on my wifes Range Rover and that all have 7mm + thread on! (And a Brucey bonus is that there is 5 of them, 1 to be mounted on the back)

Does anyone know where I can get the AMG domed resin style badges that fit on the alloy where the AMG would normally be engraved?
Old 4th June 2015, 19:10

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

A massive range of wheel centre caps on ebay. There were about 300 different jag ones when I bought some a couple of weeks ago.
Old 4th June 2015, 19:47

Not the center caps im after landmann, if you see the last pic (top right) you see the edge of the alloy rim. The origional amg alloys have the amg logo engraved but the replicas, as these are normally come with a domed resin sticker with the amg logo. Cant fing them anywhere!
Old 4th June 2015, 21:16

y cymro is on a distinguished road

If you can't find original badges there are a number of sellers on eBay who'll make resin domed badges from your own artwork.
Old 4th June 2015, 21:27

jones is on a distinguished road

You can get them from Merc themselves.... or WCA's SLK?
Old 4th June 2015, 21:41

I had a set of amg wheels on my CLS and they where engraved with AMG, i didnt think Merc done the domes resin 1s?
Old 4th June 2015, 21:58

jones is on a distinguished road

Do you know what embarrassingly I used to work for them and I had completely forgotten, BUT you are completely right! now you've reminded me they were all recessed in the alloy.

I think y cymro has the best bet then
Old 4th June 2015, 23:01

Has anyone got an ebay link to somone that does the resin logos?
Old 4th June 2015, 23:24

Im a few £££ lighter tonight but just bought the new style front bumper, rear bumper, wider wheel arches and a roof spoiler...

They will be getting deliverd to tribute early next week so im sure if anyone need to upgrade their G wagon tribute should soon be able to help you with that.......

Ive still got to shell out for the headlight surrounds and a front grill. Ohh and all new lights. Non of which are cheap!
Old 5th June 2015, 09:20

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

Just saw this new model today.
Mansory Gronos G63 AMG 6X6 with 840 horsepower .

Old 5th June 2015, 14:08

Ebay 181438369443 £4.99 Ed