Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 30th July 2006, 18:31
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road
Default sva wheel question?

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that the sva doesn't have anything to do with the registration of the car as in whether it's registered as new or age related?

I will probably put 17" wheels on but am thinking some cheap used rover ones for sva if it is possible then swap them over for the new ones after!

Car is more or less at rolling chassis stage now so need some wheels soon to send build trolleys back

Cheers
Craig
Available from eBay
Old 30th July 2006, 23:04
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road
Default Sva

Craig

You are right regarding the sva and age related ect.

In the matter of the wheels, your main concern is to be sure the overall distance at which one revolution takes the car is the same as was on the original. In simple terms the wheels have to be the same overal size, otherwise the speedo may read wrong, over rather than correct or under.
Old 30th July 2006, 23:37
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

I thought that the speedo must read correct or above the actual speed with in a certain % or am i wrong

As for 17" wheels you may have to mod the wheel arces as marlin turbo's 16" with slicks for track use were rubbing on the wheel arces when he was as Llandow allthough that may have been the suspention set up

Jerry
Old 31st July 2006, 10:10
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Craig,

I'd put on standard rover wheels. they will fit correctly, with wheel nut thread engagament OK, and won't protrude outside the arches (although it is bloody close!)...

17" wheels..........hmmmmmmmmm........you would need quite a high ride height for those. i may be wrong...but 16" wheels look right....

my 16" wheels with track tyres on did rub the arches but that was more a problem with ride height and spring settings (need to go a bit harder again)...

HTH

John
Old 31st July 2006, 10:36
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

As long as you reduce the tyre profile when you put bigger wheels on the speedo will read correctly. Its only if the overall tyre diameter changes you get problems.

There will be minor variations but nothing significant, here's a nice little form you can use for calculating sizes: http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
Old 31st July 2006, 18:24
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Cheers Guys!

I may get 16" wheels am not 100% decided yet, but does anyone know how wide you can go on the rubber esp on the back?

but regarding the speedo I think I will have problems anyway as I am using the type r engine with a Rover speedo so I think that when the car is complete I will have to try and get it calibrated somewhere....the same goes for the rev counter as the rover one redlines a couple of thousand earlier than the type r engine

Craig
Old 31st July 2006, 19:47
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Just like to add that from some of the press road tests, they all seem to indicate that the 15" wheeled cars have the better handling. I seem to recall that they were refering to Dan's Silver ex-Marlin demo car.

Regards

Mike
Old 1st August 2006, 07:54
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Craig.

The better package as far as Which Kit was the silver one. This had 15" and 195 rubber.

As far as the speedo, I bought one of these to convert the speedo.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm

But never used it due to me converting the gearbox speedo. Converts vertually anything to anything using electronic speedo signal. Let me know if it's any use to you.
Old 3rd August 2006, 15:29
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road

just my 2ps worth on the subject of wheels and tires..

Go for 15" as 16" will make the car very 'bouncy' with low profile tires..

Careful when you buy your alloy wheels as the offset needs to be the same as rover's (if I remember correctly its offest 45 - otherwise wheel will stick out of the wheelarch)

Even with 195 width, you will almost definitely need to cut out some of the GRP under the wheelarches in the front as your wheels will rub when suspension is compressed.. So forget about anything wider - the car really doesn't need it.. (we race with 195 width rubber!)

Hope this helps?
Dylan