Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds

Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds In a Vortex with your Phantom build? Share your build experiences here.

Old 10th April 2006, 20:12
Kit Car Dreamer

bgullatt is on a distinguished road
Default If only in the US!

I have always loved this car since it was first introduced. It never came available here in the states.

I am currently starting a scratch built that will follow the concept of the Phantom GTR using a Ford Contour as the mechanical donor. I have found most of my glass donors such that I won't have to have any custom made.

Two things I am curious of on the GTR. Was the Honda front suspension moved to the rear and steering eliminated? What was used for front suspension?

Also wondered if you could tell me how many pieces the body is made of? It seems that there is an outer shell and a cockpit tub. Are the door jambs a part of the shell or the tub? Are they bonded together or does the tub bolt to the chassis then the body bolt onto the chassis/tub?

Bill Gullatt
Harvest, AL, USA
Available from eBay
Old 10th April 2006, 21:15
Enthusiast

ricola is on a distinguished road

Hi Bill,
Suspension is bespoke, double wishbone up front and de dion at the back. The outer shell is all one piece except for the rear bumper, the inner tub is bonded to the outer shell before the shell is taken out of the mould so all one structure which sits on the chassis.

Hope that helps...

Rich
Old 10th April 2006, 23:57
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

Bill, it might be worth you emailing phantom, there is a chance they might export you a body shell if thats what you wish for, the only problems you would have would be modifying it for LHD from RHD.
Old 11th April 2006, 15:25
Kit Car Dreamer

I emailed Phantom last year several times but they never responded. I emailed Virago this year and got a response but they said it would be a while before they were producing and probably longer before they would ship to US.

I am proceding with my design and will frequent the build forum here. I think the kits on your side of the pond are so much nicer than things available here. We have a couple of top notch Cobra and GT40 makers and a bunch of junk too. Then we have way to many Fiero based Ferrari attempts. There are multiple companies doing Locost kits but very few doing original design mid-engine coupes.

May be an opportunity for me!

Bill Gullatt
Harvest, AL - USA
Old 9th June 2006, 15:18
Kit Car Dreamer

Default Scratch built progress

I am progressing with my scratch built as far as collecting parts. I am considering using 94-97 Ford Mustang (SN95) door glass and windshield. Many more of them here in the US. I wanted to know what year Celica to compare length and radius of the glass. I have decided to go with Ford Contour (Mondeno?) for mechanicals. Currently working on chassis design in Alibre CAD. I don't see this as a Phantom copy but rather a similar concept in design and construction based off of US components. Also toying with another idea something similar to a Noble.

Bill

*What year Celica glass does the Phantom use?

*Bill

*its the year that had pop up headlights and the curved waist line, around 93* iirc.
*the indicators we think are 92-93, but are a pain to find, they are a weird *size, if you're making a body to suit bits, use the later or earlier indicators, *you can get modern clear crystal looking ones much easier and cheaper.
*EddyP
Old 2nd February 2007, 05:42

Mylesofsmyles is on a distinguished road

What happened to this thread? I know I am a new member on this forum, but this topic appears rather enticing. Living in the US, I can only envy the Vortex GTR. Between the Phantom Vortex GTR and the K1 Attack, it is as if US kit enthusiests are boycott from the good stuff. I have plans to build a Factory Five GTM, but have a few other projects in mind in addition. Unfortunatly I don't have the knowledge or skill set to completly design or redesign a new kit, but I have a plethera of ideas and would love to influence anothers' concept. I have been doing the best I can at drafting a rough sketch, but can't quite perfect my drawing either. Again, I have some great ideas.

As far as this thread is concerned, I would love to see some more action here. Bringing a Phantom Vortex GTR derivative to the US is a marvel idea, one I would love to see. According to the doner parts list on Phantom's web site, it seems feasible to substitute the donor vehicle to a more common FWD vehicle; options seem endless.

If there is anyone on this forum with the motivation and skill set to develop a new vehicle, Phantom Vortex GTR derivative, I would love to offer my ideas and insight to make this a hit in the US.
Old 6th February 2007, 22:41
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

If you want to do anything in the US id have thought a sensible option would be to buy a UK built phantom, ship it over, and use it to locate alternative donor parts, youve got early honda legends over there so thats the vast majority of the bits sorted.
The tricky bit would be modding the body so that it suits LHD, steering column, pedal box, heater etc.. all would have to switch to the opposite side.
This would probably be easiest by using parts from US donors rather than UK ones.
You just neeed someone in the US with a lot of will power and even more money