Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 18th January 2016, 09:26

Kit 275GTB is on a distinguished road

I have emailed the replacement for VOSA for some definitive answers and in the usual fashion, received a computer generated reply saying that due to pressure of enquiries at this time it may be some weeks before I get a proper reply.

Turning to the question of who designed the 275GTB, there are conflicting answers in today's literature (due to repeating old disinformation?) but I can point you to http://everything.explained.today/Ferrari_275/ where they have some good info.

For me, the clinching point is that Pinin Farina was at that time a personal friend of Enzo Ferrari, whereas Scaglietti was the contracted body constructor. Farina designed and built the (ugly) 275GTS of which less than 200 were sold whereas about 970 of the 275GTB were built by Scaglietti in various street and racing variations. When Luigi Chinetti, the US importer, asked Ferrari for a soft top version his request was refused but eventually a run of 10 was sanctioned and Scaglietti built them all.
Old 1st February 2016, 19:48

I have had a definitive reply from VOSA re glazing. The front window must be made from safety glass (not plastic) and E marked by the manufacturer. The windows to each side of the driver must be made from safety glass or safety glazing (i.e. treated plastic) and be E marked. There is no requirement for the rear or sunroof or windows behind the driver.
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:20

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Hi George
Interesting stuff! I’m building a Dino at the moment and have been trying to understand the rules on windows. Your

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit 275GTB View Post
I have had a definitive reply from VOSA re glazing. The front window must be made from safety glass (not plastic) and E marked by the manufacturer. The windows to each side of the driver must be made from safety glass or safety glazing (i.e. treated plastic) and be E marked.
confirms what I thought.

However I must admit that for the rear window I thought that it should be “Safety glazing” and should be “e” marked on the basis of these statements in version 9 (June 2013) of the IVA inspection manual, section 45 Safety Glass :-

4. All other windows (including sunroofs and removable glass panels) and side-screens must be “Safety Glazing” (which may be made from glass, or from plastic) and display the relevant markings. (see notes 2, 3,4 and table 1)

Note 3: “Safety Glazing” made from plastic means material which is so constructed or treated that if fractured it does not fly into fragments likely to cause severe cuts. “Safety glazing” made from plastic must have an “e” mark applied by the material manufacturer.

I am also aware that Table 1 of this section states that for “Other windows and other glazed panels”, which (I understand) includes the rear window, the “Relevant markings (Mandatory) in addition to “e” approval” requirements” are “None”
Does this bit of your note from VOSA refer to “Safety Glazing” or “e marking” or both?

Quote:
There is no requirement for the rear or sunroof or windows behind the driver.
Cheers
Neil
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:51

Default Glass and glazing

Hi Neil,
Thanks for your more thorough explanation, as usual the MOT and IVA requirements are different. For IVA, ALL windows must be E marked, for MOT, there is no mention of E marking for other outside windows. So for a Z3 based car, (which should not need an IVA) you would still have to replace any side window with E marked glass or polycarbonate but the rear window does not have to be E marked ... unless anyone knows better.
George
Old 4th February 2016, 10:55

Hi George
I never did understand why the MOT and IVA requirements were different, the idea that I have to have an e marked rear window for the IVA test but if I broke it I could then, quite legally, replace it with a none e marked window is more than just a bit strange!

Just need to send off a note to the Ferrari spares suppliers to see if their plastic rear windows for the Dino are e marked!

Neil
Old 5th February 2016, 12:00

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Just been reading through this thread about windows. Just my pennies worth, does is say anywhere that a car requires these windows? Why not just not put them in? If they are there then they have to follow the rules of being E marked and safety glass etc but if there isnt side or rear windows then no rule applies.

A few years back when i had all my windows tinted on my car (including the front drivers and passengers) when i got pulled over by the police, i simply had to have the windows down because if they where up it made them illegal on a public road.
Old 6th February 2016, 07:03

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HUFC View Post
...Just been reading through this thread about windows. Just my pennies worth, does is say anywhere that a car requires these windows? Why not just not put them in?...
The "Rods 'n' Sods" forum has a ton of stuff on the IVA rules and this a quote from kapri when a similar question was asked.

"...car has to be COMPLETE for BIVA. Doesn't have to have a screen on a roadster, anything below a certain height is classed as a wind deflector. Closed car doesn't have to have wind down widows but if glass is left out then remaining door must have no provision for fitting glass...

Which ties in with the previous comment about the odd differences between the MOT & IVA rules.

Hope that helps, Paul.
Old 6th February 2016, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HUFC View Post
Just been reading through this thread about windows. Just my pennies worth, does is say anywhere that a car requires these windows? Why not just not put them in? If they are there then they have to follow the rules of being E marked and safety glass etc but if there isnt side or rear windows then no rule applies.

It appears that this loophole was closed in 2012 when a note was added to the IVA inspectors manual viz:

Note 6: The fitting of window ‘glass’ is not mandatory but where fitted it must be assessed according to the required standards and if it is obvious the window has been deliberately removed for the purpose of the test then the window can be considered missing.
To confirm that the window has been deliberately removed an examiner should ensure that there are no window mechanisms, runners etc. or other window fixings that would indicate that a window should be fitted. If it is clear that, without modification, a window can be fitted then the window is to be considered missing.

So it looks like if the inspector thinks the window has been deliberately removed or not fitted in the first place then the car will fail.
Old 8th February 2016, 15:38

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Sounds simple to me then, dont fit the windows or mechanism or frames till after it passes. Job done!
Old 8th February 2016, 15:57

Just wondering, If I leave the Z3 windows (with their E marking) in place until I have had some new ones made up ...
Old 13th February 2016, 20:45
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Hi, first let me congratulate you on an awesome project and on your recovery after neuro problems. About 25 years ago I looked at doing a similar project. The base car way back then was a series 1 Mazda RX7. I got a shell to use as a base and spent countless hours drawing and modelling. I intended to use polyurethane rigid foam and fibreglass over it. You might find this a useful technique for any areas that can't be cut and joined from your mouldings. It is super easy to sand with sandpaper and surfiles. It might free up some design decisions for you. Glue a bit of foam on, sand it to shape, throw it away and start again if you change your mind.....Here's the article on the process that got me started:

http://www.rqriley.com/frp-foam.htm
all the best
Ross (in NZ)
Old 14th February 2016, 09:59

Hi Ross,
Good to hear from someone from "down under". Two of my best friends are there at the moment and are in love with the country.
That is a fascinating article for anyone building their own design of kit car. I am starting with panels copied from an original car so my problems are slightly different, but some of the tips will be really useful when I come to build "make up" joining panels between the Z3 chassis and the 275 panels. I also have to make wheel arch eyebrows, headlight cover panels and an enlarged rear window. A lot of my time has been taken up by making spare copies of the side "gills" and sticking them in different places with masking tape. Those decisions have now been made and it is full steam ahead. Photos will follow.
Many thanks,
George
Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 20:30

Hi Everyone, Sorry I missed you at Stoneleigh, this year,I have just come out of hospital after a stroke. If you are waiting for a 275GTB look-alike you will have to wait a lot longer as I now have sight and walking difficulties.
George
Old 6th May 2016, 21:54
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

George,

We are complete strangers but please accept my best thoughts . I hope you get well enough to continue at some stage.

My warmest best wishes

Dave
Old 6th May 2016, 23:06

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Everyone, Sorry I missed you at Stoneleigh, this year,I have just come out of hospital after a stroke. If you are waiting for a 275GTB look-alike you will have to wait a lot longer as I now have sight and walking difficulties.
George
Get well soon
Old 7th May 2016, 08:27

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... I have just come out of hospital after a stroke...I now have sight and walking difficulties...
Hi George,

One of my mates had a stroke just over a year ago (he was 51).

I know stokes affect people in different ways and he initially lost speech and right side movement.

Thankfully, he had made major improvements in all areas within the first 6 months.
( He went from hospital to a care home before he could return to his own home. )

One year on, he still has some slight problems left, but his quality of life is miles better than it was initially.

So I wish you all the best in your own recovery.

Take care, Paul.
Old 7th May 2016, 09:12

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Everyone, I have just come out of hospital after a stroke.....now have sight and walking difficulties.
George
Take care and look after yourself.
Get well soon.
Old 7th May 2016, 09:29

jones is on a distinguished road

George sorry to hear the news, I truly wish you well and a speedy recovery.

Best regards,

Ian
Old 7th May 2016, 10:30

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Hi George
I'm sorry to hear your miserable news. My dad had a stroke in his 50s and lost speech and use of his right side, but with determination overcame most of the effects. You strike me as being a determined bugger so keep badgering the nurses for exercises and stick with 'em.
Best wishes
Steve
Old 7th May 2016, 17:45

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear that