Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 23rd May 2005, 14:57
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road
Default Build progress

We picked our kit up this weekend. I have updated the site with new pictures:

www.msportster.co.uk - made some more progress with the engine as well this weekend:

Inlet/Throttle body off

Shiny 1

Shiny 2

Need a bigger garage!
Available from eBay
Old 23rd May 2005, 22:35
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Good luck Richard with your build. Look forward to seeing your progess........
Old 23rd May 2005, 22:42

Richard is on a distinguished road

Richard here. Thank you

peterux: just wonder where did you get my name?
Old 26th May 2005, 21:20
Enthusiast

3 new pictures today! One very shiny rocker cover, now polished and painted black. Inlet manifold slowly cleaning up. Not sure how much more I will do on this one. Click me
Old 30th May 2005, 18:50
Enthusiast

Done quite a bit more since posting last time, here's some pictures:

Rocker cover now looking nice

Now on engine and polished up (thanks to Richard), new clutch installed

Rear swing arm, Richard did this one

More high temp paint, still wet waiting for it to dry

Coming along nicely now (more pics on www.msportster.co.uk)
Old 30th May 2005, 23:03
Enthusiast

AndyDane is on a distinguished road

Can't believe you think you need a bigger garage - looks huge to me !!

Andy (versysmallgarage)

www.marlinsportster.co.uk
Old 30th May 2005, 23:24
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDane
Can't believe you think you need a bigger garage - looks huge to me !!

Andy (versysmallgarage)

www.marlinsportster.co.uk
True We're clearing some stuff out which leaves quite a bit of room to both work on the car and the extra bits
Old 11th June 2005, 16:10
Enthusiast

Construction began properly for the first time today. Already I am having issues. The rear spring seats dont line up - its worse on one side than the other.

I've put some pictures up here: http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=7

Any thoughts?
Old 21st June 2005, 21:35
Enthusiast

More new pictures up this week

Rear suspension test fit. Although the rear spring seats dont align properly the springs seem to go in ok. I'm not 100% happy with this but for the moment it will do. I installed new suspension top mounts from an E46 Cabrio, an E30zone recommendation. Please see new pictures in the gallery: http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=7

The AVO rear dampers are working very well. Although I had to use the standard plastic covers as the ones that came with the dampers were not quite long enough.
Old 28th June 2005, 18:25
Enthusiast

Default Ball joints

After waiting on missing ball joints, it turns out they're not part of the kit. So ball joints ordered from Marlin.

Steering Wheel should be here soon, all that is needed now is the steering rack (on order) and front shocks (also on order) to test fit the front and get everything in the right place.

Having some issues with the brake lines. I have finally figured out where all the braided hoses are supposed to go, but none of the copper tubes seem to have the correct connectors on them. That means I will need a joiner, if such a thing exisits, or get new pipes made up
Old 3rd July 2005, 17:27
Enthusiast

Some more pictures of the progress. I've installed ball bearings from the donor car on both the brake and clutch pedal. Needed a bit of lathe work but it got there in the end.

Diff in place

Suspension top mounts, old and new

New ones installed

Rear test fit

Brake caliper cleaned up, painted and test fitted

Drilling out pedals to fit donor ball bearings

Bearing in place

Clutch assembly

Marking hole for brake light switch

Brake light switch in place
Old 4th July 2005, 09:25
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Looks like you are doing an excellent job Patrick. Keep up the good work. Am enjoying your posts.

Cheers, John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 6th July 2005, 22:58
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
Looks like you are doing an excellent job Patrick. Keep up the good work. Am enjoying your posts.

Cheers, John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Thank you

I got big funny shaped box from Marlin today. Quite a lot more bits, specifically ball joints and shocks. http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=6

Front suspension is together! Just need the steering rack now for final test fit. I've put pictures up of the progress. Also test fitted the front antiroll bar. I still need to fabricate brackets for them.
http://www.msportster.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=7&offset=24

Test fitting front roll bar with donor braket (need to make some for the Sportster)
Old 10th July 2005, 20:28
Enthusiast

Got my hands on a 3.91 LSD this weekend! So cleaned it up, removed all the rust and painted it. Also completed cleaning up the front calipers. Need a new dust cap before I do the other side.

Front wheel test fitted

LSD Fitted

LSD from bottom
Old 23rd July 2005, 18:57
Enthusiast

Test fit of engine. Got bored waiting for steering rack so we thought we'ed "chuck" the engine in and see how it fits - very nicely from the look of it. The gearbox mount bracket is a bit off so its being held up with a jack until thats bent in to the right shape and had one hole moved a bit.

Old 20th August 2005, 18:09
Enthusiast

Since the last post we've fitted the gearbox cross member - that was bit of pain getting the holes in the right place!! Got there in the end though so the car is movable on the build stands again!

The brake servo/master cylinder/pedals are clamped in for test fit. I think I am going to have to move the whole assembly to the left over the standard location. There's not much room for the accelerator to move, and i would like a bit more room for my feet too. I think I am going to have to bend the brake pedal bit so there is more gap between it and the accelerator.

Also today we recieved new rear brake spash plates so I went about installing them. Needed holes cutting in them - this was due me not wanting to take the hubs off. Enough has been take off for the plate to go past the back of the hub leaving all the handbrake assembly parts and the brake hose braket in place.

Also eye'd up where to put the gear lever, i think I am going move the handbrake handle a bit to give more room for the gear lever. I am waiting for Marlin to send the steering rack back to me again then I can position the wheel, hand brake and gear lever all at the same time
Old 23rd August 2005, 20:59
Enthusiast

Gear lever in place - rear is being held up with an old handbrake cable for the moment until I make a mount for it.

I put the rubber gromet from the donor car in today. Looks good. Still need to make a bracket to hold the rear up.

The 2.8ltr Z3 stick has shortened the shift, but not excessively. It feels just about right now.

The standard E30 stick felt a bit like an oar of a row boat when you changed gear
Old 27th August 2005, 17:33
Enthusiast

Dropped the car on its wheels and took it out on the driveway as it was nice and warm. Not done a great deal except play with the alignment of the steering column now that the rack is in place. Its also the first time it's been on the wheels with the engine in. The front suspension feels good! The steering is very direct the smallest movement from the steering wheel translates instantly to a small movement at the wheels. I can't wait to drive it! It'll be a fare few months yet though! I've taken a few pictures of the whole car as I dont have many of those yet:

Max led the way today:

Old 2nd September 2005, 16:44
Enthusiast

No pictures today, but the pedal box is now securly mounted on the car. I've also mounted the back of the gear lever assembly. Decided to keep it simple and used a P-clip. I may revise this to something more sturdy. I've also decided that the Z3 1.9 gear lever I bought is not stubby enough so I am going to get my hands on one from a Z4 3.0ltr. Still awaiting confirmation on part numbers as there are two different types.

http://www.msportster.co.uk/
Old 14th September 2005, 16:01
Enthusiast

Mounted the tank, We had to make up some spacers to bring it all the way back. I dont have any pictures yet - watch this space!

Also done a bit more work on restoring parts off the engine. The wiring loom got a clean as well as all the water pipes. The metal pipe off the front of the engine was rotten through so I ordered one from a breaker to replace it. The replacement had a bit of surface rust but other than that very good. Thats also been cleaned up and painted.

A friend sourced a fuel pump for us so thats ready to go. I have to place an order for fuel pipes, filter and oil cooler. Also a few bits and pieces for the car. I've decided to get a full new set of OEM disks and pads from Motormec. Still making a list for all that! I will get some more pictures up soon.