Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 7th January 2010, 08:21
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Thaks for the advice Peter. Like yours - my rear clossure panels are not symetrical. In fact there sems to be quite a significant difference in the shape of the rear tub between the left and right sides (not noticable normally).

I am going to fit some small 4" speakers - there should be room enough for those.

I guess your hindsight is due to the fact that you can't actually hear the radio if you are travelling at any speed! In fact my main reason for fitting a radio is to get traffic reports if I am ever unlucky enough to get stuck in a traffic queue.

Cheers

Robin
Old 19th January 2010, 14:51
Enthusiast

Default CD Player help

I am looking for some help. I just purchased a new (old stock) Blaupunkt from ebay. I plan is to butcher it to give me a remote mounted head unit with the main unit probably hidden away in the boot.

Of course it doesn't come with cables or connectors. Are all CD players pretty much standard - or am I gonna need some Blaupunkt specifc connectors?

On the back there are two main connectors with 8 tabs arranged in 4 vertical of 2 (if that makes sense) plus a further smaller connector with 3 horizontal rows of somewhat smaller tabs.

The manual says that the two main connectors are for all the usual stuff (speakers, power etc.) wheras the smaller connector is for extras like line in and remote.

Any idea's?

Cheers

Robin
Old 19th January 2010, 15:30
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Headunits normally have their own propitiatory connector on the back. They come with a loom that goes from that do an industry standard ISO connector.

Some units have these iso connector on the back, if your lucky that may be the case, otherwise you'll need to source a new loom.

ISO connectors look like this:

The black one (left) is for power, remote on, dimming, earth etc and the brown one (right) is for speaker connections. Very often these are all in one plug like the left plug on this:

EDIT: You can get an iso connector in halford if it fits then just chop it up
Old 20th January 2010, 08:41
Enthusiast

Thanks Patrick

It has an ISO connector - I took your advice and got one from Halfrauds.

The Blaupukt CD player is rather good even though is is an old model. It plays MP3's, has an Aux connection and the option of a remote. The dinky winky 4" speakers soon struggle though.

Next step is to see if I can split the head unit off without destroying the whole thing. If it looks not do-able I will see if I can get a remote instead.

Kind regards

Robin
Old 20th January 2010, 17:25
Enthusiast

Sometimes the old stuff is the best I'm using Alpina CDA-7969 which a pretty old headunit but it's very good
Old 24th January 2010, 19:12
Enthusiast

Default Radio

Well taking the radio to bits to locate the front panel remotely from the rest of it proved easier than I expected. Fortunately the connector that joined the two together had 16 ways spaced handily like a IDC connector (Electronic buffs will know what I mean) "All" I had to was to solder a 16 way ribbon cable between them and bob's your uncle...

Ok - so it helps if you are handy with a soldering iron but it really was quite simple to do.

Robin
Old 24th January 2010, 21:17
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Nice work Robin - I assume that you'll put some strain relief on the cable at some point? After all that fine soldering, you wouldn't want inadvertently rip the cable from the board, or bugger up the traces.

Where are you going to mount the remote panel? And what are you going to do for an ariel?
Old 25th January 2010, 07:48
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Nice work Robin - I assume that you'll put some strain relief on the cable at some point? After all that fine soldering, you wouldn't want inadvertently rip the cable from the board, or bugger up the traces.
I superglued the cable to the little daughter board at the display end. At the "box" end it is clamped nicely between the cover and PCB with a strip of foam rubber. You couldn't swing on it but it is reasonably secure

Quote:
Where are you going to mount the remote panel? And what are you going to do for an ariel?
The display and controls are going on the handbrake console. The main unit - either in the boot or behind the driver seat. It's out of sight in the boot but perhaps a bit vunerable to careless dragging out of luggage. Also the CD is not very accesible then. So perhaps behind the seat with a cover over it.

To answer your other question - yes I changed my mind about the colour (again). This time though I will stick with it as a just bought a length of matching (Jaguar) carpet for the transmission tunnel and footwell sides.

Robin
Old 25th January 2010, 18:24
Enthusiast

nice work
Old 25th January 2010, 20:51
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Robin

How does your Blaupunkt hook up to an MP3 player?
Does it have a cable/socket in to the back of it?

Was this a one off purchase on ebay?, or are there more available - it seems to suit fitting remotely, with relative ease?, and definitely worth considering.
What speakers are you planning to fit, and where will you mount them?

Mike
Old 31st January 2010, 17:38
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Robin

How does your Blaupunkt hook up to an MP3 player?
Does it have a cable/socket in to the back of it?

Was this a one off purchase on ebay?, or are there more available - it seems to suit fitting remotely, with relative ease?, and definitely worth considering.
What speakers are you planning to fit, and where will you mount them?

Mike
There is an aux input at the rear. I won't be using an MP3 player myself but I guess you could connect one here.

Yes - it was an new old stock purchase from ebay. The seller was "wilcodirect". I don't know if he has any more but it was a bit of a bargain at £35 - even if it is an old design. I also managed to buy an infra red remote for it for a tenner - which I probably don't need now.

It was pretty easy to remove the front panel and mount it remotely as long as you are handy with a soldering iron.

I am using some very small (4") speakers mounted in the rear quarter panels. They are a budget type from one of the better speaker makers (name escapes me atm. EDIT Vibe). They sound OK but you have to crank the volume up as they are not very efficient.

While we are on the subject of radios - has anyone tried one of those cheapy amplified aerials that sticks to the windscreen? I though it would be equally at home on the inside of the rear tub....

Robin

Robin
Old 31st January 2010, 20:42
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
While we are on the subject of radios - has anyone tried one of those cheapy amplified aerials that sticks to the windscreen? I though it would be equally at home on the inside of the rear tub....
Robin
Yes, I tried one of those stuck under the scuttle.
It works but probably a proper aerial would be better. It may be better in the rear tub away from all the engine electronics and loom, etc.
...peter
Old 7th February 2010, 17:17
Enthusiast

Default Centre Console

I completed the centre console today. Just need to mount the radio body now and that's another milestone. I have also almost completed all the trim (other than the carpets which I will do after painting)

Hmm - next time I photo something I must remove the mucky fingerprints first....

Next job - polishing the bonnets. I have bought £50 of polishing mops and gunge. It looks like it's gonna be a bit messy though.....

Robin
Old 7th February 2010, 21:17
Enthusiast

Hi Robin,
nice radio fitting.
Keep us posted on progress of your bonnet polishing.

This guy managed it.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4718081...07270/sizes/l/

...peter
Old 8th February 2010, 08:09
Enthusiast

Awesome picture. Not a finger print in site.... I wonder if he wears gloves when driving it LOL!

I wasn't expecting to get a finish anywhere near as good as that but it's something to aim for. Unfortunately I have a couple of very deep scratches and if I polish the bonnets to too high a sheen I think they will stick out like a sore thumb. So the current plan is to go for a more matt finish. Apparently you can adjust the finish by using different grades of polishing paste.

Anyway - its a job I am looking forward to as it is another step towards getting it painted!

Stoneliegh will be interesting this year if we all manage to get there with finished finished cars!

Robin
Old 15th February 2010, 18:13
Enthusiast

Default Steering Wheel

Moto lita steering wheel. It's enough to make a grown man weak at the knees....

And the final install of the radio. The red wire is just a temporary "arial". Most of the other wiring will disappear under the carpet. In the end I fitted it on the rear "shelf". It was that or the boot. But being on the rear shelf means that at least I can get to it to put in a CD. (Albeit only when stationary).

Old 15th February 2010, 18:37
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Wheel =

Looks the dog's danglies!

Any chances of some pics showing the adaptor plate? I guess it's just a lump of polished, machined metal with the 6 x 70mm holes interspersed with the moto ones...
Old 15th February 2010, 20:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
Any chances of some pics showing the adaptor plate? I guess it's just a lump of polished, machined metal with the 6 x 70mm holes interspersed with the moto ones...
It's a little more complex than that - but that is the basic idea. I'll try and poost a picture tomorrow. Mine is painted - as it matches better with the Momo adapter. (Also, the polished one is about another tenner plus then you would need the billet horn push which is about another £30) It adds about 15mm to the "height" of the momo adapter so in my case I didn't need a dished wheel. In fact the 14" flat wheel I selected is about right. I think a 13" would be too small. In fact I think you could probably even go for the 15" wheel.

The wheel itself seems to be well made. The wood is laminated. I reckon you could get a good match with some good quality mahogany or merranti marine ply. I too am thinking about replacing the door caps and dash eyebrow with a laminated wood version - but that'll be next winters project...

Robin
Old 15th February 2010, 21:24
Enthusiast

Ooo niiiiice steering wheel

The only thing I'd be a bit worried about with the radio where you've put it water getting to it
Old 15th February 2010, 21:33
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Ooo niiiiice steering wheel

The only thing I'd be a bit worried about with the radio where you've put it water getting to it
Only if you drive in torrential rain with no hood!

But you wouldn't do that, would you?