Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 26th April 2012, 08:52
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I used the screw type clips as that is what the OEM's like BMW and Ford used to use. I just slipped 10mm id hose over the fuel tank and swirl pot connections and I have not had a problem. IIRC 10mm hose is bit loose on the 3/8" copper pipe so I think I soldered some brass olives on the end of the copper pipes to stop them blowing off. I think with hindsight, flaring the ends would have been just as good.
..peter
Old 26th April 2012, 11:08

morris is on a distinguished road

Yeah I gave up on my plan to run JIC-6/8 threaded stainless braid everywhere once I estimate the cost in the hundreds. Plain old rubber and the screw type clips it is then.

Just need to see if I can hunt down a pre Red top pump filter with 10mm push ons now. There are loads of little plastic ones out there which I suppose would do the job or the nice glass ones. If it was in the engine bay I wouldn't mind but I can't help thinking that glass that close to the stones and whatnot bouncing off the road is not a good plan. If I go that route a shield of some sort will be a must
Old 26th April 2012, 12:27
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default fuel filter

Hi morris, Do you need a pre- pump filter, the facet red top has a filter built in.I would also consider changing your tank outlet and inlet to 8mm, as this keeps the whole fuel system uniform, and gives you greater choice in filters and fittings.The best choice of filters is found on ebay under 'sytec fuel filter' hope this help
Old 26th April 2012, 18:43

Hi Jeremy, yes I'd come to the conclusion that the built in filter on the red top would probably be ok. I've just been nosing around in under the back of the car and have come to the conclusion that on the E36 rear subframe setup there's just not enough room to fit an additional filter below the level of the tank other than fixed somehow to the side of the diff. Even then it would be very close to the rear drive shaft. The redtop pump will fit nicely vertically on the rear bulkhead and I can already see how to get some hose to it and how to come back on the return leg over the top of the subframe so I think I'll not over complicate it with extra things bolted in.

On keeping to 8mm hose, I think my red top will come with 10mm in/outlets so I'd be making more work for myself there (or cost on new brass bits anyway) and with the 10mm running up to the swirl pot and back and 8mm onto the engine there's a disconnect there anyway. I'm going for a cylindrical swirl pot and most of them have 1/2"/12mm outlets to the engine too so there's another hose size to account for. I'll probably get some of those customised though anyway to have them put on the correct sizes of the pot so there's an opportunity to have the sizes adjusted too.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:14

I'm planning on getting my fuel lines in front to back either today or tomorrow. Just wondering if there's any thoughts on the following

- Will the IVA man let me get away with one larger P clip holding both lines (10mm rubber)? I can't see why not if they're secure. as I already have the gearbox in I've not got a lot of room to work in the tunnel so looking for ways the minimise the amount of riveting and drilling.

- I know you're not allowed to have tanks and filler necks etc in the passenger area but would I get away with running the lines down the passenger side of the tunnel on the outside, again to make fitting easier plus reduce the prop shaft clearance issues at the rear.

- Would I get away with running the lines under the passenger floor. I can see this would introduce a risk of damage from stones and speed bumps etc but I could mitigate that with some sort of covering. Production cars do it this way.

- my facet red top pump had some 3in1 like oil in the filter compartment which I presume is to help ensure it's properly primed on first use. I leaked a few teaspoons when I opened it up to take a look inside. Do I need worry about topping it up?
Old 4th June 2012, 17:00
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian,
personally, I would always use individual 'p' clips to avoid the lines rubbing together regardless what the IVA man thinks. You can mount two 'p' clips on one bolt so no difference to the number of holes or bolts to do up.
There is loads of room in the tunnel above the gearbox and propshaft so just mount them high up on the side of the tunnel. I think under the floor or inside the passenger area just adds complications and potential issues.
I don't recall have any fluid inside my Facet pump so I wouldn't worry about priming it. I think its more important that the HP pump doesn't run dry so run your LP pump first to make sure the swirl pot is full before the HP pump starts up.

Propshaft, brake and fuel lines. by marlinpeter, on Flickr