Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 21st September 2012, 10:05
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpearce View Post
Ian, I was watching Wheeler Dealer" last night and the guys had bought a Cobra replica that had still to go through the IVA process to get it road legal. Now they needed to get a new exhaust made to get the emissions down to the required level. This meant that they had to fit cats to the big V8.

The cats were very small and very stream lined so were not ugly to look at, infact they looked perfect for the setup.

My point is don,t discount cats from your build.
Setting aside the Green issue of emissions, why would you want Cats? They are expensive, fail, and rob the engine of horse-power.
Keep the faith, and keep pressure on VOSA to accept the age of your engine, by proving the engine numbers.

..................unless, of course, your Green credentials exceed your more base male desires to control cost, and go faster for longer and cheaper!

- can you now see all 8 digits in the top row?

Mike
Old 21st September 2012, 10:32
Enthusiast

Default BMW Proof of Engine Age : Contact Details

As this seems to be a concern to all new builders, I have attached my letter from BMW confirming the engine age, with all the contact details you might require.

For obvious reasons I have blanked the central numbers, but it is an 8 character number that you need to be able to prove on the engine block.

Old 21st September 2012, 13:54

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Setting aside the Green issue of emissions, why would you want Cats? They are expensive, fail, and rob the engine of horse-power.
Keep the faith, and keep pressure on VOSA to accept the age of your engine, by proving the engine numbers.

..................unless, of course, your Green credentials exceed your more base male desires to control cost, and go faster for longer and cheaper!

- can you now see all 8 digits in the top row?

Mike
I know its not pc these days, but I do not have any green credentials.

Which is why I have a Sportster and my daily runabout is a gas guzzling 3.2L petrol engine.

Don,t like diesels either, they are for tractors and lorries.

All I was saying is that the cats shown on the Wheeler dealers programme was not ugly.
Old 21st September 2012, 14:08
Enthusiast

Quote:
I know its not pc these days, but I do not have any green credentials.

Which is why I have a Sportster and my daily runabout is a gas guzzling 3.2L petrol engine.

Don,t like diesels either, they are for tractors and lorries.

All I was saying is that the cats shown on the Wheeler dealers programme was not ugly.
Sorry Dennis, if it came across as a dig at you, it was more a tongue in cheek poke at all of us, as the only one who contributes on here with less than a 2.5 litre staight 6 is Chris Cussen - and he confesses to a heavy right foot!

Your point was well made.

(..... I have to say the 3.0 straight 6 diesel under my daily bonnet is just as refined as the petrol 6's we are using in our cars, and just as sharp on acceleration........but I still wouldn't chose it for my Cabrio!!!!)

Mike
Old 21st September 2012, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Sorry Dennis, if it came across as a dig at you, it was more a tongue in cheek poke at all of us, as the only one who contributes on here with less than a 2.5 litre staight 6 is Chris Cussen - and he confesses to a heavy right foot!

Your point was well made.

(..... I have to say the 3.0 straight 6 diesel under my daily bonnet is just as refined as the petrol 6's we are using in our cars, and just as sharp on acceleration........but I still wouldn't chose it for my Cabrio!!!!)

Mike
Did not take it as a dig at myself Mike, my fault really for not writing it differently.

Obviously left myself open re my diesel comment but we are all different and its how I look at diesels but I was not wishing to have a go at anyone who owns or likes them.

Difficult to not offend people when writing comments.
Old 21st September 2012, 20:33
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ian, I was watching Wheeler Dealer" last night and the guys had bought a Cobra replica that had still to go through the IVA process to get it road legal. Now they needed to get a new exhaust made to get the emissions down to the required level. This meant that they had to fit cats to the big V8.
I don't get Discovery Channel so I had a look at their website for this programme. They call the car an 'AC Cobra' which clearly it's not.
It's a replica and not a very nice one.
Very tacky wheels with fake spinners. If it has an old Rover V8 or american V8 then they could have got the engine dated and not bothered with CATS.
It looks a pretty mediocre example from the pictures. What did they claim to get for it? I reckon about £16K.

P.S. this is a dig at the TV programme, not you Dennis
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I don't get Discovery Channel so I had a look at their website for this programme. They call the car an 'AC Cobra' which clearly it's not.
It's a replica and not a very nice one.
Very tacky wheels with fake spinners. If it has an old Rover V8 or american V8 then they could have got the engine dated and not bothered with CATS.
It looks a pretty mediocre example from the pictures. What did they claim to get for it? I reckon about £16K.

P.S. this is a dig at the TV programme, not you Dennis
Sorry Ian, its gone a bit off the trail of your post.

I know its not a pop at me Peter, but I belong to several aviation forums where insults abound, but I do not mind if people have a go at me. It would be a sad place if we were all the same.

Hope you enjoy your day at Princes Risborough.

I did say the cobra was a replica which they bought for £17,500 and think they sold for £22,500 making only £1000 on the deal after their mods. It was a big Chevy engine with an Edelbrook carb in which they changed the jets for smaller sizes and added the new exhaust, complete with cats and all to reduce the emissions, but it did reduce the power as well, which they mentioned briefly.
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:13

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

I'm pleased to be allowed to post messages in such exalted company.
I must try to find a couple more somewhere.