Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2015, 20:19
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road
Default The sammio motor company- - up date

Hi All, I wrote this letter several months ago but was unsure weather to list it or not.
In light of the recent listing I thought it might be time after all I have nothing to hide!!!

November 2014

I know a lot of you are wondering what’s going on with SAMMIO/RIBBLE production, so here’s an update.

When Andy first approached me regarding taking-on the RIBBLE business, I was well aware that things were not so good and that a lot needed sorting. However, after a lot of thought, and with a large overdraft secured, I felt I could turn the business around.

My intention was to use the old SAMMIO name, re-work the moulds, update the jigs, and set about promoting the SAMMIO MOTOR COMPANY.

Andy would retain full ownership of the RIBBLE NAVIGATOR, PILOT and PILOT CV moulds, and he would receive a royalty on each sale. I was also prepared to rework and refurbish the moulds to bring them all to a good standard. This was to be done at my expense.

To help things along I sorted out the unfinished turnkey cars and also took on a few other projects, all this was to help Andy clear his workshop.
All was ticking along nicely until evidence of some of Andy’s business dealings began to come to light (along with some very unhappy customers). The problems with the RIBBLE range were far greater than expected. Although daunted I did continue with my business plan.

When I actually got to see the Ribble moulds I was really shocked to see the state they were in!!! In my opinion most if not all were unusable and beyond repair, in fact the only mould that could be used was the original Spyder body and bonnet mould!. That said even these were on there last legs as they had been used over 150 times!

Although again I felt let down and disappointed, I still thought with my plan in place, I could turn things around so kept at it

Then Andy went too far and became greedy. Not only do I believe he ripped-me-off for a significant amount of money, he has also moved the goal posts.

In a recent letter he now refers to the RIBBLE moulds as SAMMIO moulds, and declared that he will retain sole rights over, not only the SAMMIO moulds but also the SAMMIO name. In addition, he wanted a royalty on ALL kits and ALL products sold under the SAMMIO name. I felt this was too much. In fact, I think it’s taking the fu**ing piss.

I already have the SAMMIO G-46 moulds and the rights to use them, so there was going to be a problem. Not only that, but on talking to Gary Janes, he claims he retained the SAMMIO name and the right to trade under that name all confirmed when Andy bought the business from him, and apparently it’s in the contract!

So now we definitely have a problem or should I say “had” a problem because I have now protected the SAMMIO name.

The name SAMMIO is now a registered trade mark.

The trade mark classes are:

Class 12: Motor vehicles; sport cars sold in kit form; parts and fittings for motor vehicles, sport cars and kit cars.

Class 37: Vehicle and kit car construction, maintenance, servicing, restoration and repair services; consultancy, information and advisory services relating to the aforesaid services.

The SAMMIO trade mark will one day, be accompanied with a SAMMIO “logo”, this will be followed with a SAMMIO badge and a SAMMIO vin plate.

I will be promoting the SAMMIO MOTOR COMPANY with GJ’s blessing and will be releasing the A1 Alpha, followed by the A1 Alpha SS (opening doors). I have two new kits in the pipeline along with the all-new SPYDER, in which I hope to involve GJ in its development.

I also have some new accessories such as a new bonnet, fiberglass seats (which will give maximum leg room in the Cordite/Navigator), and a very nice round dash with clock pod. All these item will fit the original RIBBLE/SAMMIO bodies past and present.

My new website is coming with details of the release date for the A1 Alpha which should be early 2015.

At present I am still trading as REPLICA RIDES of Swindon, so if anybody would like to contact me they can. Details at www.replicarides.co.uk

My workshop in 10 min from J16, M4, everyone is very welcome to call in and have a chat. I have a very good kettle and enjoy all things eatable i.e. hob nobs, jaffa cakes, cream cakes etc..

It is worth noting that my workshop is also only 5 minutes away from the “ McArthur Glen Designer Outlet Village” so you could drop off the other half and call-in. It’s a cunning plan that up until now has always worked!!!

As you can imagine a lot of effort and money has been invested in this project which all takes time but I hope it will be worth it in the end.

I hope these few works will help everybody understand what’s going on and why things regarding RIBBLE/SAMMIO have been so very quiet

Right now if anyone wants a RIBBLE PILOT or PILOT CV body/bonnet I can get Chris (at Tribute Automotive) to make one, and Andy will receive a royalty.

All RIBBLE accessories such as the dash, wind screen surround, tonneau cover and of course the RIBBLE Navigator body/bonnet are unavailable as Chris refuses to make then because the moulds are unusable and twisted. They will stay twisted as I refuse to spend more money on what is now a doomed project..

As I keep on say “just watch this space”

Regards
Mike.

Although as I have said this letter is a few month old, nothing has changed.
Any help or ideas for the SAMMIO logo would be most welcome.
Only one thing is for sure.
THE SAMMIO MOTOR COMPANY is my baby and I'll run it the WAY I WANT, HOW I WANT, WHEN I WANT and with WHO I WANT.

I get fu**ed off with people who "think" they know better.

I get fu**ed off with so say "experts".

I get fu**ed off with people telling me "how" to do things.

I have been building specials for over 30 years but I still class myself as a "knowledgeable amateur".
I am still learning form both professionals and amateurs alike.
This forum never success to amaze me as is full with a vast knowledge which is openly shared by all it's the best build manual I'v ever seen.
I will always refer potential builder in this direction.

Thanks for taking the time and making an effort to read this chapter and remember every body's welcome at SAMMIO HQ.

Regards.
Mike
Available from eBay
Old 2nd May 2015, 20:30

garyh is on a distinguished road

Good luck, Mike.
Old 2nd May 2015, 20:35

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that it's been such a rocky ride, but pleased to hear the project's beginning to get back on track.

imho there never was anything wrong with the Spyder, you just needed to work with what you got.

I couldn't be happier with mine - a fast, fun affordable fifties road racer that doesn't look like a kit car - and building it was just about the most satisfying challenge I've ever undertaken.

Good luck with the project, I'll be following progress with interest.
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:04

swifty is on a distinguished road

Nice to see that somebody has taken the legal way forward to protect their future and hopefully move the Sammio brand forward in a positive manner which can only add value to the kits already out there.

Your comments on the Navigator molds being beyond use certainly rings true to me as i am building a navigator that to be quite frank was unfit for purpose when the body originally arrived and it's only due to the fact that i am willing to amend the faults that Andy did not have me paying him a visit for my money back, but at the same time i have thoroughly enjoyed the build along with this forum.

Good luck Mike and i to look forward to seeing what your company turns out.

Last edited by swifty; 2nd May 2015 at 21:07..
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:09

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your troubles Mike. Good luck for the future, Im sure that it will all be worth it in the end.
Old 3rd May 2015, 06:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
...Any help or ideas for the SAMMIO logo would be most welcome...
There were a few options/designs for a Sammio badge on this thread.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3610
Old 3rd May 2015, 10:33
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

No further comments on this thread as I can see the way it is going to go.
Mike has laid out the way things are with his new company, comments about Ribble are not going to move things forward.

John
Closed Thread