Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 17th June 2009, 08:04
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
One more (unrelated) question...
When I come to put some notches at the top of the rear tub for the seat belts to go through, do I align the notches parallel with the eye bolts or with the centre of the seats?
Centre of the seats. The rear seat belt mount is offset (not in line with the centre of the seats) for some reason and if you make the slots in line with this the seatbelts will foul. As Patrick said make sure that the cut-outs are nice and smooth. And don't forget you will need to arrange some sort of upper support arround which the seatbelt turns. Either the bar supplied by Marlin (not great IMHO) or a bar welded between the hoop of the roll bar as Patrick and I have done.

Robin
Old 19th June 2009, 20:56
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.

Thought I'd share my experience whilst ordering new seats today. After deciding that the Roadster 7 seats wouldn't pass IVA, I decided to order some Recliner Sports Seats direct from Cobra. Having left 3 messages in 3 days asking them to ring me back which they didn't, I eventually rang Europa, spoke to a guy who evidently knew exactly what he was talking about, answered my questions precisely, couldn't have been more helpful, and charged me 60 quid less than Cobra were about to!! Job done!

Am working on a fairly simple solution to the bumper problem, basically involves sticking an extended ally piece onto the existing bumper and bending it round (i) back towards the vehicle (ii) within 30mm of the chassis/bodywork. Will post some pics when the prototypes are up to scratch
Old 24th June 2009, 18:59
Enthusiast

Ah yes, and another fairly well known IVA issue, I think:
The rear fog light can only come on when the dipped or main beam is on. Fairly simple fix, just got to feed the rear fog relay from the light relay output, but I wish I'd known about it at the start, my relay box is a PITA to get to!!
Old 6th July 2009, 18:10

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Another IVA gotcha. I've bought a VIN plate off ebay, and the IVA Manual USED to say the characters should be "not less than 4mm high". Well Mr.Pedantic could fail it if the characters were 4mm high, so on Thursday I ordered a set from amazon of letter/number stamps that were 5mm high.

On another thread there is a link to the latest manual and it now says "Not less than 3.5mm high" so I could have ordered a smaller cheaper set. Not that the difference was huge, I got my set for £12.60
Old 6th July 2009, 18:25
Enthusiast

Yeah I ordered a set of 8mm stamps when I was using the draft IVA manual which said they had to be at least 7mm high.
Have you re-made the Marlin manufacturer's plate so that 'Marlin' is in capital letters?? They were going to charge me 15 quid for a new plate so i got a mate at work to knock me one up for free and it only took 2 days
One point I wasn't quite sure about. In the IVA manual it says that the VIN number must be stamped into the chassis on the right hand side, yet in the complete kit car article (see link above) it shows a plate pop-rivetted in which would pass. Surely this isn't quite the same as stamping it into the chassis though??
Tim
Old 7th July 2009, 07:18

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

I've taken it that you need to have a VIN plate, pop riveted on, plus the VIN itself stamped on the chassis.
That is what was required many years ago when I built a Spartan Trekka.
Modern cars have both too.
Chris