Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 18th November 2011, 17:13
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Another order - I've had an email from Ian Papworth saying he would like a full kit (servo, adaptor, clevis).
Old 18th November 2011, 17:54
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Sweet, anybody post in the marlin enthusiasts group on Facebook? I've put an update on my site pointing people here.
Old 18th November 2011, 22:22
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Mild Steel or Stainless Adaptor

I've had a reply from the engineering company advising they can supply mild steel or stainless adaptor plate.

If the mild steel is around £7 + delivery, and the stainless £10 + delivery what are your preferences?

Bear in mind drilling 6mm stainless can be very difficult unless you have a slow revolution pillar drill and cutting fluid.
I can get the master cylinder holes cut if you know their positions relative to vertical, and what centres they are on, for a small extra cost.

For those with master cylinders that fit the Metro servo direct it will be easy as I have one to take details from.

Mike
Old 19th November 2011, 10:06
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Stainless for me please
Old 19th November 2011, 11:49

Bobnic is on a distinguished road

Mike, Great thread!! Am in the process of a build at the moment. Have got a metro servo and sourced a master cylinder already, will put these on the car as it's being built, as have got them and adpated them (and paid for them already!!). But I may well come back to you once the car is on the road to place an order, although I appreciate you are buying in bulk at the mo, would be a shame to waste the work/money spent on the bit's we've got already!

Keep up the good work!!

Rob
Old 19th November 2011, 13:12
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
Mike, Great thread!! Am in the process of a build at the moment. Have got a metro servo and sourced a master cylinder already, will put these on the car as it's being built, as have got them and adpated them (and paid for them already!!). But I may well come back to you once the car is on the road to place an order, although I appreciate you are buying in bulk at the mo, would be a shame to waste the work/money spent on the bit's we've got already!

Keep up the good work!!

Rob
Rob

That's fine. I'll order a few spares of the adaptor and clevis as they are so cheap: and I think you'll pick up a servo within £5 of what we pay, so you are not going to lose out.

But you will want one, eventually........................................ ...!
Old 19th November 2011, 13:39

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road

I am with Mike, put me down for the adaptor plate and clevis too please.

Glad to ante up in advance if needed.

Thanks

John
Old 19th November 2011, 16:17
Enthusiast

All - I've moved the order list to a separate thread, for ease of finding and updating.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...4266#post24266

I'll keep an eye on this thread going forward, and if and when people add their names to the order or change their requirements, I'll update the other thread.
Old 19th November 2011, 16:44
Enthusiast

BTW - went for a blast this afternoon. Brakes still a revelation.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:33

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

Mike. I would prefer a Mild Steel adaptor plate as I only have a weedy pillar drill and will need to drill holes for the master cylinder on final assembly. Presumably the "new" mast cyl securing screws are countersink type and tack welded to stop them rotating? If so countersinking in Stainless will not be easy. As per the attached photos my inlet and outlet ports are opposite config to the photos on earlier posts for some reason. I hope this will actually help me gain the extra 2" forward shift by rotating the whole master cylinder clockwise when viewed from the front, followed by some careful re-bending of the rigid copper brake pipes. As I have a remote reservoir the only constraints will be keeping the outlet ports high enough to allow for bleeding the master cylinder after reassembly. Pete.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:35

Not sure where the photo went. Will try again.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:39

Grrr! Final try with small file size 33KB!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunter mast cylinder.jpg (32.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 19th November 2011, 21:56

NigelB is on a distinguished road

....................Just a thought as a possible way of increasing the bulk purchase numbers.

I wonder if it's worth talking to Mark and Terry at Marlin, let them know of the trials that Mike and Jason have carried out and the marked improvement in braking performance the dual servo provides. Marlin may think of adding it as a kit option for all new builders.

Probably a bit of a long shot given the stock levels they work with but it may be worth letting them know. When you see what they charge for a servo on their current price list the dual 7" could provide them with a healthy margin............................!!

N.
Old 19th November 2011, 22:17
Enthusiast

GV8Pete - that looks like the same as my cylinder. It's probably the Marlin standard Sierra one... I'll update your preferences on the order list.
Old 20th November 2011, 08:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
....................Just a thought as a possible way of increasing the bulk purchase numbers.

I wonder if it's worth talking to Mark and Terry at Marlin, let them know of the trials that Mike and Jason have carried out and the marked improvement in braking performance the dual servo provides. Marlin may think of adding it as a kit option for all new builders.

Probably a bit of a long shot given the stock levels they work with but it may be worth letting them know. When you see what they charge for a servo on their current price list the dual 7" could provide them with a healthy margin............................!!

N.
Nigel

Part of the reason I have organised to make a kit up is to make it easy for builders to get hold of the kit, and at a reasonable price................neither are philosophies particularly associated with Marlin!

I agree we should try and make future builders aware there is a significantly better servo option, but they will be able to buy direct from Duksville at a much better price.
I am happy to order half a dozen spare adaptors and clevis, as they are so cheap, to keep in stock.
Old 20th November 2011, 08:55
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Well you guys have been busy and well done to all those involved.

I would also like to be included on the list for all parts nessecary to complete modification.

I am not sure what servo/master cylinder I have perhaps you guys can identify from the attached picture.

Old 20th November 2011, 16:53
Enthusiast

As you're using the adaptor plate Stuart, I think that's probably a BMW master cylinder.

What's your preference on finish on the servo and adaptor plate? For the time being I'll put you down as Plated / mild steel...
Old 20th November 2011, 17:12
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
As you're using the adaptor plate Stuart, I think that's probably a BMW master cylinder.

What's your preference on finish on the servo and adaptor plate? For the time being I'll put you down as Plated / mild steel...
Yes plated/mild steel is fine for mr.
Old 20th November 2011, 23:00

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Time for me to join the list.

Although my build is on hold, the last thing I did before stopping was to work on the servo set up. I have a new metro servo with E30 master cylinder using the Marlin supplied angle change adapter plate. I intend to fit a reservoir on top of the master cylinder so I will need to drill the new plate myself to get the angle right.

Therefore, put me down for a standard servo, clevis pin and mild steel plate without holes. Payment available whenever it's needed.

Thanks, Sorton
Old 21st November 2011, 07:42
Enthusiast

Added you to the ever growing list. We may need a container load at this rate...