Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 3rd February 2012, 08:11

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Bushes - to Poly or not?

I was going to add this question to my own build thread (Preston Sammio) but thought it was worth a thread of its own.

I've started my shopping list for the reconditioning of my suspension and would like to get a consensus as to whether the extra expense of fitting a full set of poly bushes is worth it or are the original rubber type more than adequate? As I'm going for a full strip it would be silly not to change them in any case.

Obviously I'd like to hear from anyone actually 'driving' the bushes but please share your thoughts even if you haven't got that far. I'll be starting to strip and clean after the tub goes this weekend so will be looking to put a Rimmer or Canleys order in fairly soon. (Experience with bushes from either of these suppliers would be interesting too)

Cheers all
Available from eBay
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:18

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Andy, i have gone with rubber

As we're losing 25% in weight by ditching shell, i assume the undercarriage will be that much stiffer? Also, i don't want to take all the fun out of going round corners... 50's stylee.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:08

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

unless you are going to race it or drive it hard then the rubber standard bushes are fine. I have always fitted standard to my cars and as they are brand new, they are good for quite a few years. The poly bushes last longer I am told, but 10-15 years is long enough for me!

The orignal rubber bushes on my donor Vitesse are 47 years old and it passed the MOT!
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:30

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

My original rubber bushes turned to dust as I stripped down my (admittedly rotten) chassis so I had no choice but to replace them.

I went with a blue poly-bush set from Canleys -

blue because they're standard firmness -

Poly bushes because I couldn't find anyone selling a set of rubbers (fnaar, fnaar), so it was easier to order a full car set of poly-bushes -

Rimmers because their price was the most competitive (from a reputable source) working out little more expensive than building up a set of rubber bushes bit by bit.

The orange poly-bush sets on't ebay look like good value and if I'd seen the ad before ordering mine I'd have given them a go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-He...#ht_2837wt_905

Good luck!
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:04

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default poly bushes

We have just rebuilt the front suspension on the SE5 which is to become a G46 we have used yellow poly bushes.

The opinion in the various scimitar forums was that you would never replace with rubber, however they all said not to replace the rear suspension bushes with poly as this would make the handling to firm and Skippy.

We had fun (not) fitting the first poly bushes until we found out it is just like Victorian childbirth! lots of boiling water required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope that helps
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:06

Oh yes, I remember with no fondness at all, changing all the bushes on front and rear MX5 suspension. It was just as well I had some spares as the first few were nightmares!
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:12

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

I've built a lot of cars. For me it depends on how you are going to drive the car. Is it for fun on the street or to be on a track. The poly bushings are more ridged. The handling will be more precise but the ride will be more harsh. The rubber is more compliant. I do most of my driving on rough roads. In these light cars i choose to go the rubber route.
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:15

I'm erring towards the original rubber bushes for many reasons and the compliance is the one I'm putting top. I don't see the Sammio being a track car, more a ''B' roads on a summer afternoon with a country pub in sight' kind of experience.
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:23

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
more a ''B' roads on a summer afternoon with a country pub in sight' kind of experience.
that's why I am building mine
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:59

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Charman.tech - Where did you get your front suss replacements from? Did they come as a set? Any joys sourcing the rears? I am hoping to replace all mine real soon.

Any advice beyond hot water appreciated.
Old 4th February 2012, 11:57

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default poly parrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Charman.tech - Where did you get your front suss replacements from? Did they come as a set? Any joys sourcing the rears? I am hoping to replace all mine real soon.

Any advice beyond hot water appreciated.
We got then from Graham Walker Ltd and he was able to supply an extra one after we destroyed the first one, add Fairy Liquid to the hot water on the list a big vice and various socket heads and luck, when they go they just pop in when they don't, they don't.

On the front suspension we replaced the roll bar drop links, all the bushes sleeves and washers (re-used some bolts) the trunions, top ball joints and the wheel bearings which cost just over £200 including overnight delivery.

Still got to look at the front end for brakes and steering rack, It would appear that the original discs were man enough and even when uprating to a V8 so with the reduced body work weight they should be fine. Madmark told me the other day that SD1 callipers will go onto the SE5a which means I think XJ6 front callipers will work, we have yet to look into breaks.
Old 4th February 2012, 18:43

Nick59 is on a distinguished road

Well I have gone down the route of red polybushes....for no other reason than I have done a sort of red and black theme on the chassis suspension scheme....to be fair I replaced my TVR S3 in blue polybushes and the ride was great.. no jarring just a firm crisp ride...suppose I will just have to let you know how the reds feel when on the road... they do look pretty tho :-)
Old 4th February 2012, 19:10

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick59 View Post
Well I have gone down the route of red polybushes....for no other reason than I have done a sort of red and black theme on the chassis suspension scheme....to be fair I replaced my TVR S3 in blue polybushes and the ride was great.. no jarring just a firm crisp ride...suppose I will just have to let you know how the reds feel when on the road... they do look pretty tho :-)
Agreed. I've gone for a kind of red 'n' black theme to my chassis which is only spoiled by the blue polybushes. Should've gone for the red ones for aesthetics but blue won out for a cushty ride.