Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 5th February 2012, 21:32

seanick is on a distinguished road
Default Frontspring rates

This may be of interest to you Sammio builders..

Faulkner springs, Chichester were fantastic in getting the rate I wanted and the ride height lowered.
My kit car is herald based, 13/60, on its original 200lbs springs, too hard and to high. Hardly dropped at all when on its wheels.
Following Faulkner instructions, I measured the length of the compressed spring in situ, the the current ride height to the ground. Then put the spring compressors on and wound them up until the lowered height was achived. Then I measured the new compressed length, made a note and whipped the spring/shock unit off. Compressors back on, I removed the spring at took it to Faulkner. They put it into a machine that compressed it to its original length. That gav a required load in pounds.
The Spitfire has 150lb springs, and some Dutton Pheaton forums quote 110lbs. Wanting to stay a bit sporty I wanted somewhere between the two.
After a few trials with neew springs in the machine, which compressed the springs to my desired spring length.

We settled on a 140lb , 12" free length. It achived a drop of 2 1/2".

The car is SO much nicer to drive. My fillings stay intact, the drop has got rid of. The positive camber, and I have lost the under steer and got overseer. Yippee! No difference in roll as antiroll bar still doing its job. I can see the suspension working si much easier, as the cycle wings bob about.

whole process took about 6 hrs, and the springs were 35 squids each plus vat.

There were some springs in the office, all colours. 'They are for Maclaren, and those are going to Germany...'

Hop this info helps you lot get yr Spiders right.
I am not connected, just a satisfied customer etc..
Cheers, Nick
Available from eBay
Old 5th February 2012, 22:04

Patton is on a distinguished road

Thanks Nick, a good bit of info, and not just for us Sammio'ers. contact no:- 01243 543049
Old 6th February 2012, 22:08

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Nick, they should just perfect for my lowering job and just up the road too! Another big 'thank you' for the info.

How's it going with the tyre choices for your 15" wires on the Burlington? Sycamore cars are holding onto one of my old 185's for you to try when you are ready.

Paul.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:30

seanick is on a distinguished road
Default Triumph spring spec sheet

Here is a link I was sent by a member on the Burlington site. Its a table of spring rates of Triumph models.

http://clubtriumph.eu/cgi-bin/forum1...?m-1168516251/

Some more info..

www.dfaulknersprings.com

12" free length (same as standard, if you use shorter with the same shocks then the springs will become unseated if you go airbourne).
2.5" I.D.
140 Lb.

Item code 12PO140

iIn this size rates available from 50Lb to 400Lb!

Last edited by seanick; 20th February 2012 at 13:40.. Reason: More Info.