Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 19th April 2015, 07:19

Rickard is on a distinguished road
Default New build of a Marlin E39 Sportster

Hi, here is a new member of this site/forum and also an celebration to all of you who has shared all of your buildings and problems and not at least - all solutions to solve yours/others problems - it has been joyful reading for many hours - so thanks to all of you!

So here I hope that I can share my building of a E39 based Marlin Sportster - located in the small village Ilsbo, just outside of Hudiksvall in the north part of the middle of Sweden.

It all started many years ago - I was thinking of a Superseven or similar - but it was one problem - my length - when I tried so squeese me in a Westfield - I relized I am in truble - I will never find out how it would feel like driving one. I searched for something other - and found Marlin Sportster. I felt this is it! That was back in time - and as all know - life can make some wild turns sometimes... so for many years I have planned for this moment - the arrivel of the parcel - and now it stands in my car place here at home.

We went to Mark and Terry for 2 years ago to find out for real if this would be something to spend money on. There Mark showed us his latest building of a sportster based on a E39 - and we felt this is what we have been looking for... and then he explained his own personel situation of life.....

He explained - what ever would happen - Terry will provide what you need - and she have done it in a great way - thanks a lot Terry!! So our parcel arrived one year and one day after that Mark passed away - RIP Mark.

So now starts all the work with dismantle the donator - at the same time that all our snow just have melted down and all we have hidded in it is showing that we have some work to do in the garden.... bad timing!
Pictures will be at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/our_marlin_sportster/

Last edited by Rickard; 19th April 2015 at 07:24..
Available from eBay
Old 19th April 2015, 08:19

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Welcome Rickard, sounds like quite a project, exciting.

Slightly confused, are the build pix on the Flicker link yours, or research? Have you started the build, or finished it?
Old 19th April 2015, 11:45

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Think the first lot of pics are of the dream think they are marlin demonstrator pics and another finished car

and the lower pics are the reality

I.e. Unbuilt kit

Good luck RIckard
Old 19th April 2015, 11:46

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Hi Rickard,

A very warm welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure how much experience there is here of building the E39 based Sportster, but there's a wealth of experience from E30 and E36 based builds and everyone on here has always been happy to share their stories, experience, war wounds, and solutions.

Enjoy your build, and from many winter hours spent in a cold and damp garage, I hope yours in Sweden is heated................!!

Nigel
Old 19th April 2015, 21:24
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Rickard,
we have already chatted over on Flickr but another welcome to the MAKC forum.
I'm sure we will be all following your build with interest.
You must be the most nothern builder on this forum!

Are you planning to keep the auto gearbox or change to manual?

looking forward to your updates, all the best,

Peter
Old 19th April 2015, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Valve Ed View Post
Welcome Rickard, sounds like quite a project, exciting.

Slightly confused, are the build pix on the Flicker link yours, or research? Have you started the build, or finished it?
Hi, we are at the starting point... so far, so good...

Yes, the other Marlins is inspiration pics... so right.

//Rickard
Old 19th April 2015, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Hi Rickard,
we have already chatted over on Flickr but another welcome to the MAKC forum.
I'm sure we will be all following your build with interest.
You must be the most nothern builder on this forum!

Are you planning to keep the auto gearbox or change to manual?

looking forward to your updates, all the best,

Peter
Thanks, well - there is not many racetracks around here - nearest around about 150 kilometers, about 93 miles from me, next one is allmost the double - in the other direction... so my choice is automatic. Yes I know - very unusual choice, but i like cruising before racing, so far...

I have found one Marlin down at Arvika and he know one more - but he did not know his location yet - we contacted each one the same day to him, so he was very surprised over it - so it is at least 3 of us here in Sweden.

//Rickard
Old 19th April 2015, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
Hi Rickard,

A very warm welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure how much experience there is here of building the E39 based Sportster, but there's a wealth of experience from E30 and E36 based builds and everyone on here has always been happy to share their stories, experience, war wounds, and solutions.

Enjoy your build, and from many winter hours spent in a cold and damp garage, I hope yours in Sweden is heated................!!

Nigel
Thank you - yes, there will be a BIG heater....

Yes, I have found out that - but I am thrilled about getting the rear axle from the E39 to our Marlin - I fell in love with it when I saw it at Marlin Cars. I also found it easier to get a nice E39 here in my area..

If I manage to discribe my problems - I sure hope for all help I can get from you guys!
Old 19th April 2015, 21:47
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Nice to see a new builder on the board - welcome
Old 19th April 2015, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
Think the first lot of pics are of the dream think they are marlin demonstrator pics and another finished car

and the lower pics are the reality

I.e. Unbuilt kit

Good luck RIckard
Thanks! - and you got it right!

//Rickard
Old 19th April 2015, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Nice to see a new builder on the board - welcome
Thank you.

//Rickard
Old 19th April 2015, 22:36
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome

Hi Rickard

May I add my welcome too -it is great to see a new build appear, and I'm sure you will develop a strong following as you progress.

There is at least one other e39 Sportster build on the go - he is "Well North" too - somewhere around Aberdeen!. His name is Cameron Mitchell - on here as "Cammy". He started his project with an M52TU engine, but after some hard won advice from other builders elected to go with the same engine as yourself - the M52B28.

Cameron's blog is here:
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ighlight=Cammy

From what Cameron has described, the kit sounds very good, making use of the entire e39 rear sub frame which is secured with just 4 bolts - so easy. Installing the engine is bit more tricky though - you'll see we've all had our head scratching moments over getting it aligned in the chassis/bonnet!
(- mine is a Cabrio, but has essentially the same steel chassis from which the Sportster was developed)

Good luck, and keep posting photos of your progress.

Mike
Old 20th April 2015, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi Rickard

May I add my welcome too -it is great to see a new build appear, and I'm sure you will develop a strong following as you progress.

There is at least one other e39 Sportster build on the go - he is "Well North" too - somewhere around Aberdeen!. His name is Cameron Mitchell - on here as "Cammy". He started his project with an M52TU engine, but after some hard won advice from other builders elected to go with the same engine as yourself - the M52B28.

Cameron's blog is here:
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ighlight=Cammy

From what Cameron has described, the kit sounds very good, making use of the entire e39 rear sub frame which is secured with just 4 bolts - so easy. Installing the engine is bit more tricky though - you'll see we've all had our head scratching moments over getting it aligned in the chassis/bonnet!
(- mine is a Cabrio, but has essentially the same steel chassis from which the Sportster was developed)

Good luck, and keep posting photos of your progress.

Mike
Thank you,
Yes I have secretly followed you both before I selected what to build of and I can only agree what kind of problems I think I can get into - and I am very happy about how you both have taken pictures and documented all of different situations there can be into this kind of building kit cars.

I think there is the most scary moment - the electrical wiring to get everything to work as before or how it should work... and what and how I should cut/skip different parts to my car.

One other thing I am thinking about is this with ABS brakes - should I or must I install it to get everything to work properly.... I have not decided yet what I should go for....

//Rickard
Old 20th April 2015, 08:21
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Hi Rickard

Welcome from me also. I will also be watching your build. I have an E30 Sportster built at arround the same time as the one that you have pictures off on your Flikr site.

The best advice for the electrics is to make sure you photograph and label everything carefully when dismantling the doner. I re-used the E30 wiring loom including the fuse box and all relays. I spent an entire winter season identifying all the circuits and stripping out everything not needed. As a result the electrics went together easily with everything working first time. Even the engine!

You can see my build here. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martinclan/

Personally I wouldn't use the ABS. It just adds complication to what already is a relatively complex build.

Cheers, Robin
Old 20th April 2015, 13:54

Thanks, yes I have prepared myself by investing in some good labels that I can write on and also invested into Bentley´s manual of E39 - there is very good descriptions of what everything are and what colour - it is "just to do it".... but the reality often get you some surprises sometimes and Mr Murphy can add in something.
Old 5th May 2015, 12:15

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

Rickard, you are the third e39 builder on this forum, both cammy and I are also building, currently I am the furthest ahead building the e39 build and I can
Offer much advice as there are a few areas that need some attention! On the whole it is a really good build though! I live very close to marlin and have been helping them with a few of the problems with the e39 build. I would be happy to have a chat with you and offer some build advice of you want it. Send me a pm and we can have a chat.
Old 7th May 2015, 06:06

Thanks, yes I will do that. I am very happy to know that you can provide such service. I think my biggest issues is about all the electric wiring....

//RT
Old 30th November 2015, 19:51

Well - a long summer has made some disturbing activity to the building of our Marlin but now the time is right to get back into the garage...

For those who are interested - https://www.flickr.com/photos/our_ma...57650196898214

Now I am working with getting the rear axle in place - all replacement work is ended - "just to get everything in place"...
Old 29th May 2016, 20:58
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I've been going through all your pictures, interesting the differences to the E30 donor chassis.

Seems they've re-enforced the scuttle are a bit and moved the light mounting. Biggest change is obviously the rear subframe mounting and suspension.

Nice to see the seatbelt bar part of the chassis now.

I think think the upper wishbone mounts could do with bracket front and back - I've got giant washers here to stop the wishbones wandering off the bushes.
Old 30th May 2016, 17:51

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

As nice as the e39 mounts are they don't comply with the minimum anchorage point height for iva. My car is off back to Marlin to have the upper belt mounts moved higher up.