Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 16th July 2006, 17:30
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

This is what plan B may look like:

Then pipes & back box or perhapse after SVA side pipes.

A bit of a switch round from style of substance to substance over style. At least this way we'll get the most power out of the engine
Old 16th July 2006, 20:13
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Patrick that manifold must be costing a fair amount? I must say that the Marlin designed exhaust is a very neat solution to twin side pipes and sounds beautiful even thoug the cost sounds a lot. Do some measurements before you purchase as the clearance around the oil filter and the engine mounting is pretty tight for 6 branch.
Old 16th July 2006, 21:08
Enthusiast

Yes, it's not cheap - but neither is the Marlin exhaust. The choice was show or go and the final decision has landed on go due to the issues surrounding the "show" exhaust I had in mind. I also I don't like the Marlin exhaust design personally I dont see the point in having pipes either side if the engine is a straight six. Looks nice though
Old 17th July 2006, 07:46
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
The choice was show or go and the final decision has landed on go due to the issues surrounding the "show" exhaust I had in mind.
Sorry the "show" exhaust didn't work out - I thought that it was looking pretty promising in the mock up stage. What finally made you decode to drop this idea - was it just problems with the place that was making it?

Robin
Old 17th July 2006, 08:17
Enthusiast

I may go into more detail once we've got the car back in our garage, but that won't be until Tuesday - it was a bit of mess
Old 18th July 2006, 19:39
Enthusiast

Well the cars back, don't want to go into details but now there is plan B - a performance under floor exhaust!

We are sorted for the manifold (pictured above, put a deposite down) and first section of the exhaust. However the rest of the exhaust is still needed. Can anyone recommend some options other than custom chrome for good quality exhaust components.

I've seen Jetex, there's magnaflow from the states but is there anything else out there work looking at? Jetex seem have quality issues from the comments I have read.

The other option would be to use a 325i after market back box (Eisenman are supposed amongst the best, but there a lot $$ involved) and join it up to the manifold, but I'm worried that these would be too loud for SVA. And they come with lots of funny bends not needed for the Sportster.

Twin back boxes either side of the car might be quite cool! The manifold has an X pipe after it so that ought to equalise the pressure so that we could run two seprate back boxes.
Old 18th July 2006, 20:45
Enthusiast

You could do worse than the system I am using from the manifold back. Two straight stainless pipes at about £25 and a TR6 silencer - or the setup that Peterux is using also looks quite good.

Robin
Old 18th July 2006, 21:47
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick

I've seen Jetex, there's magnaflow from the states but is there anything else out there work looking at? Jetex seem have quality issues from the comments I have read.

Patrick, what a shame your 'special' exhaust didn't work out. I think it would be unique but you have obviuosly had some problems with that company that you are not prepared to share in public.

I used Jetex bends. Nothing special but good value for money and fast delivery. Mine is bit of a diy solution to keep he cost down. I used the original BMW front section(320i), some Jetex bends, and some stainless steel TR6 silencers bought second hand of eBay.(designed with paper and sellotape in front of the TV in the winter!)

I have no idea how it will sound or perform, but the system uses BMW manifold and twin pipes all the way to the back, so i figured that would be sufficient for my 2 litre 6 cylinder engine.

I think of it more as the Mark1 version than maybe the final solution!

Your new header looks superb. I nearly bought one of those whilst on holiday in Florida two years ago but couldn't face carrying it through the airport!

good luck,
Peter
Old 19th July 2006, 12:12
Enthusiast

Yeah, the manifold is pretty Still something nice to look at when you open the bonnet!

I've spent a long time looking at designs now, I liked the idea of an E46 M3 backbox to start with (nice and cheap on eBay) which would be quite cool look, but the design is a complete mess internally, not sure what BMW were smoking that day!

I do like that TR6 back box, it does look really nice!

I wonder if I used the old manifold/stock 325i system I got of the donor but shorten the middle of it - would that pass SVA seeing as its a tad on the old tired and rusty looking side! It would mean being able to get through the test and the fit whatever afterwards without having to worry about noise (with in reason obviously!)
Old 19th July 2006, 20:58
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a quick and inexpensive solution.

A quick wire brush and a can of Halfords exhaust manifold spray should be fine.

So long as it's not actually leaking or rusted through I can't see how they could fail it?

Sound level should be Ok too.

Peter
Old 20th July 2006, 07:28
Enthusiast

If you re-use the BMW exhaust box you might have problems with ground clearance. You need to aim for about 4 1/2 inches minimum between the lowest part of the exhaust and the road when the car has a normal load otherwise you will ground on speed bumps and things like getting on and off the SVA rolling road!

Robin
Old 20th July 2006, 10:11
Enthusiast

Good point! Ground clearance is now a bit issue. Need to have a look and see what bits stick out how far (Im not in the UK at the moment so it will all have to wait until I get back home anyway now! Thanks for all the input guys
Old 20th July 2006, 13:23
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

power flow are quite a good source for bits and bobs, like silencers, pipe, tail pipes etc...
you going to T14?
Old 20th July 2006, 17:24
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyP
power flow are quite a good source for bits and bobs, like silencers, pipe, tail pipes etc...
you going to T14?
I'm not able to go as I'm out the country Enjoying the sunshine in Austria

I picked up a DTS catalogue today with lot of stuff in, wanted a D&W cos the girls in there don't look as rough, but couldnt find one

There's not much universal stuff as the kit industry over here is mucher small to pretty much non-existant. I did however see a "Which Kit?" on the self going for the bargin price of €11 I left it there even though it had a Marlin Roadster on the cover, I shall buy a copy when I get home!

Rumus use an interesting bit of kit. There's a flap in the back box that you can adjust to partly block the exhust thus reducing the noise output. Jetex have got a db limiter plug that you can place in the pipes somewhere, presumably that has much the same effect as the the flap on the remus.

Is there any harm in using straight through silencers? Again I've heard negative comments - but do these people actually know what they are talking about?!?

As far as I've been able to read the best thing to do after the manifold is the get the gasses out as quick as possible via the least complex route - using twin pipes as the BMW exhaust does improves ground clearance so its probably best to stick to that than go for a Y piece and a single bigger pipe.

I like the idea of a cherry bomb, just from the name and the paint colour!
Old 21st July 2006, 11:24
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

for some of the more technical bits you could PM firestarter on TA, he designs exhausts for lotus
Old 21st July 2006, 12:20
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyP
for some of the more technical bits you could PM firestarter on TA, he designs exhausts for lotus
Now that's something worth knowing!! thanks
Old 29th July 2006, 18:54
Enthusiast

Hows this for a cheap alternative to a custom built side pipe system!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-side...QQcmdZViewItem