Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 5th July 2017, 20:01

davecymru is on a distinguished road
Default And now for something completely different - a Toylander!

As some of you know, a number of years ago i bought a set of Toylander plans as my father was ill and i wanted us to do a project together to help get him though it and i'd just had my 2nd son, so it seemed ideal!

ref: https://www.toylander.com/

I bought the donor vehicle (a mobility scooter) and my dad ordered all of the wood, batons, glue and screws. He then went through the plans and made up a cutting list but sadly he then fell really ill and he eventually passed away a few years ago before we'd really got chance to get stuck into it.

I put everything in my mums garage and didn't even want to talk about it..

Roll fwd a few years..... it was a couple of months before my youngest son's 8th birthday and my mum said that if i didn't crack on and build it now it would be too late and i'd regret it!

So enough waffle, i was kicked into action and with some help from the boys we ended up turning one of these:

Into this!

It's not an exact replica and i've taken the same approach as i've taken with the big projects i.e. get it up and running and enjoy it and then improve over time, so at least the boys (and the neighbours!) and out and using it!

Apologies if this thread comes over as a bit self indulgent, i was going to post a build thread on here as we built it, but given everything i ended up completing it in just over 3 weeks and i wanted to put this up in order to properly wrap up this project in my head.

If there is any interest i will dig out some of the "build pics" as now that I've finished this i would heartily recommend it as a project to any of you other kit car types with young children, or who are just young at heart

Last edited by davecymru; 5th July 2017 at 20:04..
Available from eBay
Old 5th July 2017, 20:50

Groobster is on a distinguished road

Yes please Dave more pictures please and how you built it, I want to build one for my son who is two years old but I keep getting my time taken up with my marlin kit car. Really sorry about your Dad.
Old 5th July 2017, 22:40

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Looks great DC.

You might just have also invented a new line of mobility vehicles suitable for disabled former squaddies and farmers...
Old 9th July 2017, 09:55

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave – Thankfully I saw your photos before the Photobucket ransom started.

It looks like a great project to me and I’d love to find out more about the work involved.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:56

Groobster is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave you have inspired me and I have bought some plans for a toy lander 1 Some questions about your build did you put a swinging frount axle in yours
And did you use a donor mobility scooter for the motors or did you buy most of the parts from toy lander?
The build manual dose not mention anything about using a donor mobility scooter and how to incorporate the parts I think this is to incorage people to buy all the parts from them.
Any pointers and advise would be appreciated.
Thanks Angus