Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 30th May 2006, 20:49
Kit Car Dreamer

sconcia is on a distinguished road
Question Another newbie needs help!!

First of all, Hello all!!

I'm a newcomer to kit-car building, and have decided that the 5exi is the car for me. If anyone's interested, my main reasons for doing this are that I want a sporty, unique car to drive, and I also want the experience and learning-points that come with building it. I think I need to concentrate on balancing these as I don't want to end up spending 3 years building a car, but I equally don't want to give in and get Marlin to build it for me.

But there are a few things that confuse me so I'm glad to discover that this forum exists, and hope that a few of you won't mind answering some potentially silly questions!! I've been through most of the posts on here, but they seem to cover quite specific issues (which I'm sure I'll be grateful for at some point in the future). What I really want to do now is to come up with a plan in terms of the order I should be doing things but I don't feel I know quite enough yet.

So far, all I've decided is that I'll be going for the Type-R engine option. And this is where most of my confusion lies as the Marlin's website seems geared towards the K-Series option.

So...

1. I'm fairly convinced that I don't want to strip a donor 200. Am I right in thinking that this is a reasonable thing to do seeing as I won't be needing the engine and gearbox anyway? Am I missing out on anything by not doing this? I understand Marlin offer the necessary parts for £350. If I'm planning different wheels and brakes, is this still worth it, or should I just buy the remainder of the parts from a Rover spares retailer?

2. Which Honda bits do I need? Is it just engine, gearbox and ECU or are there other adaptors/connectors that I'll need to connect it all to the rest of the car? Does the exhaust system just happen to fit OK? And do Marlin source all this, or do I?

3. I'm probably being over-ambitious here, but I'd love to choose my own detailing such as seats, instruments, and basically anything visible. Don't worry, I'm not talking Max Power here; just something to keep the artistic bit of my brain functioning. Would this be really stupid for a newbie like me? Would it be better to keep it as standard as possible, get it up and running, and only then change things if I'm still keen?

4. From the website, it looks sensible to buy everything except Module 3. My reasoning is that Module 3 basically contains the body, which will take up a lot of room, and I won't need it for many many months. Is this right? How long should it take to get to the powered chassis stage?

Apologies if some of these questions seem obvious. I would (and probably will) ask Marlin, but being of the internet generation, I like to read a few different opinions before I buy anything. Also, by the time I go and visit Marlin, I'm sure I'll have a whole new batch of questions.
Available from eBay
Old 31st May 2006, 07:52
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I too am a newby but have learnt so much which was my main aim apart from driviing a fast sports car.

First if your a newby, like I was, then this is not a nut and bolt job kit car. You will not get everything in the kit and you just bolt together like a Westfield. It is also a challenging build as you will learn skills your not even aware of yet.

Your questions....

1) £350 for all the Rover parts needed is good money. Saving on the donor. The purpose of the donor car has two functions. 1. To supply the parts you need cheaply. But if your getting the parts new (which will cost more) then I not think a donor is necessary. 2. As a skip to pinch bits from instead of going to the scrapies.

2) Not sure which bits you will need for the honda. Would assume running gear and engine electrics. Perhaps someone wlse can add. The Stainless Steel exhaust is supplied by Marlin to fit.

3) All part of the fun doing a kit car. Individual. I think there are 4 turbo's that I know of, and all done the electrics different! There will be no car identical!

4) Additional to Module 1&2, I would order the ally side panels (both diagonal ones and if your not having doors, the side ones. You can get them from a local metal place, but I would suggest get them from Marlin. A little tip. Don't fit the diagonal ones until you have done the dash electrics. As I've just found out!

Hope that helps.
Old 31st May 2006, 11:52
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi, I'm new to kit cars aswell and I too have gone for the type-r with a view to supercharging when finished but I know now that the chassis will not handle the power so looks like I will be stuck with standard engine!!!

I am sure Big fella who is well on with his build could tell you more as I have just started but basically what you need is enigine, 6 speed box, engine harness, air box with piping and inner drive shafts as Marlin supply the outer ones at extra cost! The ecu needs to be connected to either a black box marlin supply or the inside replaced by something like Hondata to overcome all the alarm etc.

I have also found that you need a lot more parts than what is listed on the Marlin website even if they are only small eg fuel filler neck!

I have purchased about 90% of my parts now which are all new so as to register a new car, which has cost me in parts so far about £1300, with the total build expecting to be around the £18-20k mark

Craig
Old 31st May 2006, 12:56
Enthusiast

Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig
I have purchased about 90% of my parts now which are all new so as to register a new car, which has cost me in parts so far about £1300, with the total build expecting to be around the £18-20k mark

Craig
Doesn't sound far off. It was approaching 17k when I added up all the costs to build the type-r car I was doing, that was all new (apart from engine) and painted

How Do you know the chassis won't handle the supercharger Craig ? Is this something that Marlin have told you ?
Old 1st June 2006, 10:54
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road
Talking

If there is anything that you need help on i will gladely try and help allthough there is going to be a some things that will be difficalt as i am only the second person to do the type-r marlin being the first and i am doing things that they have not
One word of warning make shore that you get all the plugs that go in to the ecu as i have one missing
My mate is going to make one for me as we have got the wiring diagrams for the type-r
Also did marlin give you a disc for the type-r it contains all the info on the civic that will come in usefull

Regards
Jerry
AKA ( Big-Fella )
Old 1st June 2006, 10:58
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
How Do you know the chassis won't handle the supercharger Craig ? Is this something that Marlin have told you ?
More info Please !!!!

Regards
Jerry
Old 1st June 2006, 19:51
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

Hi, I don't know 100% that it wont handle the power but my chassis was meant to be stronger as when I told Mark about chargiong the engine he was unsure the standard chassis could cope.......

When I picked up my kit Marlin stated that the most power they had tried through the chassis was 200bhp

Anyway when I picked up the chassis it's just a standard one so when a neighbour had some friends round that have knowledge of building fast cars I had them take a look at the chassis! They all agreed rightly or wrongly that the chassis would twist with 370+bhp given some welly!

Having spent a quite a bit of time speaking to a guy called mark at TTS performance they would do the kit for £4500 fitted giving an easy 330 at the wheals @ 15psi.

So I think that I will wait and see if you are still charging yours Jerry to see if it's ok....before I proceed

Craig

PS does anyone have the core dimensions of their radiator as I'm struggling to get one

Thanks
Old 1st June 2006, 21:33
Kit Car Dreamer

Cheers for the advice guys. It all sounds very daunting but I'm up for a challenge. Just hope it doesn't get TOO frustrating.

Big Fella, I may well take you up on your offer of help. I haven't ordered the kit yet but I'll make sure I get hold of that civic info.

I need to sort out a trip to Devon soon to speak to the guys at Marlin and make an order. Are there many decisions that you have to make at order stage?
Old 3rd June 2006, 16:29
Enthusiast

SDMC001 is on a distinguished road
Default Oredring stage

Hi Newcomer.

I recieved my kit in february, and today just got it to the point of a rolling chassis, as I have a week off later in June and hope to put the engine in.

In the matter of which car, I have chosen to stick with the 1600 k series, for two reasons, 1 as you stated earlier Marlin are very keen on that, but also for cost, the Rover 200 buble shape around P reg supplies most of the donor parts. I have had to source several bits separatelly, the fuel neck, as this was the type from the earlier Rover pre P reg, cost £3. The front caliper carriers, as the rover I had, had non vented front disks, and the rear calipirs, and carriers, and hand brake cables. If you went second hand probaby get change ut of £150.

You probably will want new brakes and some other bits, you can try Adrian at British car parts, 01884 35745, tell him you are building the Marlin.

These are in no way reccomendations of what car to go for, but just going over what I have used.

The car goes together quite well most parts fit with the minimum of modifying, but as said by some one else, this aint no Westy.

If you order packs 1&2, they come with the bulk of what you need, a few others had made comments of what else to buy which makes good sence, I also reccomend you buy the carpets (You can lay the chassis on them and mark them out then store them) the fuel and servo pipes, and the cat, although marlin do supply a link pipe, but depending on where you are going in so much as registration you may need a cat in the car is post about 93 ish.

What I would suggest, and this is only a personel view, but use as much as you can from the donor car, if thats the route you take, as these bits should not give any issues at SVA, after you can titivate as you like.

As you have seen from the forum there is a lot of useful help and advise there, I find it better sometimes rather than going to Marlin, as people often find better ways of doing things.

Are you in the south east?

Best wishes with the build.

Steve
Old 3rd June 2006, 23:19
Kit Car Dreamer

Noworriesvw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconcia
Cheers for the advice guys. It all sounds very daunting but I'm up for a challenge. Just hope it doesn't get TOO frustrating.

Big Fella, I may well take you up on your offer of help. I haven't ordered the kit yet but I'll make sure I get hold of that civic info.

I need to sort out a trip to Devon soon to speak to the guys at Marlin and make an order. Are there many decisions that you have to make at order stage?
There was quite allot of parts required from the honda civic that we didn't realise when we sourced the engine for Big Fella's build, if you need a list you can contact me or Big Fella and we should be able to guide you.. Also where are you located to..
Old 6th June 2006, 20:55
Kit Car Dreamer

Cheers. Will do that after I've been dwon to see Marlin.

By the way, does anyone have an email address for Marlin? I tried sales@marlinsportscars.co.uk as per their website but it was bounced back at me.

Oh, and for those that asked, I'm near Southampton.
Old 6th June 2006, 21:19
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

For emailing Marlin try.........

terry@marlincars.co.uk

regards

Peter