Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 10th July 2020, 12:59

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Front Brake Saga (cont.)

The other day, when weather permitted, I wandered down to the cave to complete the assembly of my front brakes, dreaming that, help in the shape of my furloughed son being available, bleeding activity would soon follow. Hopes dashed again, as ever. I'd carefully assembled the pads and anti-squeal shims into the callipers with the merest smear of copper grease (unlike that tall bloke who puts it on with a trowel), and bolted the units onto the uprights. So far, so good. Next job: flexi pipes. Aaaaargh, they're too short. Check various internet sources and discover that GT6/Vitesse callipers have a metal pipe and bracket which brings the outboard flexi-pipe attachment more central to overcome any stretching or fouling. Buy necessary pipes, fabricate suitable brackets (they're unavailable) after studying You Tube videos, fit same, offer up flexi pipes: still too short. Aaaaargh again! More research reveals that extra long flexis are still needed for this application. I bought the necessary on line in stainless this morning so the saga should be concluded in next week's forecast good weather. I really hope so. The picture shows the current state of play.

My seamstress friend, who did such fabulous work for the A352, has gone to live in the USA so I decided to have a go at making the seat covers myself. I bought a pre-owned sewing machine on line this morning and am picking it up about 12 miles away tomorrow. How difficult can it be .

Regards, Mick
Old 12th July 2020, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
I bought a pre-owned sewing machine on line this morning and am picking it up about 12 miles away tomorrow
I decided, as the weather was so good, to pick this up in the A352 'D-Type'. It turned out to be more like 20 miles each way, and pick up was in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, with my purchase balanced rather precariously on the passenger seat, I'd got about a couple of miles back down the twisty B road when a hood down E-Type appeared going the other way. I thought 'This is well worth acknowledging' but the lady driving it went into raptures, taking both hands off the wheel and madly waving them above her head with a huge smile as we passed. A magic moment that made my day .

Regards, Mick
Old 13th July 2020, 22:40

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

I see an engine and gearboxless Monaco on eBay, just sayin!
Old 14th July 2020, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
I see an engine and gearboxless Monaco on eBay, just sayin!
Hi Dpaz

I couldn't find it. Do you have either a link or the item number please?

Regards, Mick
Old 14th July 2020, 09:04

Bellicose is on a distinguished road

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moss-mona...QAAOSw7t9eTWXb
Old 14th July 2020, 09:34

Thumbs up

Hi Bellicose

Thanks for that. I think the hyphen bamboozled their search engine...

Regards, Mick
Old 14th July 2020, 11:08

redratbike is on a distinguished road

No paperwork v5c
Old 14th July 2020, 22:50

I did reply but it doesn't show, Belicose is the one.
A bit pricey?
Dave
Old 17th July 2020, 07:40

Cool

Nice!

Regards, Mick
Old 19th July 2020, 07:18

Talking Getting There

My new SS front brake hoses arrived in the week and, given the hoops I've had to jump through, it was with some trepidation that I set about fitting them. This turned out to be a doddle as I'd only gently nipped up their predecessor's attachments.. The moment of truth arrived and turning the steering from lock to lock revealed that they are plenty long enough. My delight was rather tempered by the back of the nearside wheel hitting the body on full left lock. I'd already (years ago!) fitted lock limiting hose clips to both ends of the rack, it seems another is required - more evidence of the body's asymmetry. Here are the shiny new bits in situ. Excuse crap photo', an orb web spider had spun between the cover and the cave roof necessitating delicate uncovering and gymnastic contortion.

I spent a couple of hours on You Tube yesterday learning the techniques of machine sewing vinyl which resulted in a burst of Ebay activity. Teflon foot, special needle, strong thread and correct machine lubricant are on their way.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 19th July 2020 at 07:19.. Reason: Typo.
Old 21st July 2020, 15:55

Smile It's a miracle x 2

I wandered down to the cave this morning before it got too hot, and consulted my 'To Do' list. Adjust handbrake and bleed brakes were two of the four remaining so, as pedal pushing assistance had been negotiated for later, I decided to pitch in with the former. In order to get my Machine Mart aluminium racing jack (great buy!) under the diff. a few feet of forward movement is required. The garden is slightly downhill so removing the chock achieves this. Why won't it move? Ah, it's in gear. Why don't I sit in and see if the clutch has freed itself as the engine's been run a few times. To my amazement it had. Miracle no.1.

Jack up, axle stands, remove wheels and set to tightening the threaded adjustment ends of the transverse cable until there was no slack either side. I checked the shoe adjuster - still spot on - and applied the cockpit lever. Drums locked. Miracle no.2.

As I type my assistant is unavailable. I spent half an hour earlier bleeding the rear brakes single handed using a length of architrave to depress the pedal whilst my other orangutan like limb worked the nipple. Can't say if this was successful as the front pipes of course contain some air so no 'pedal' yet.

Regards, Mick
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:51

Default Another tiny step closer...

I was down the cave early yesterday, wondering if there was anything I could get on with before my bleeding assistant surfaced. Looking at the butchered coaming above the scuttle I decided that fashioning a full width ally cover (which would have to follow multiple compound curves) was an impractical pipe dream. Next best, small individual plates over the two worst and most visible areas. A trial run with small card templates decided me that, although it was ugly, it was nevertheless a lot better than nothing. I transferred the shapes to thin ally, cut them out, drilled fixing holes, bent them to the correctish profile over a breaker bar clamped in the vice and riveted them on. Not pretty, but undoubtedly an improvement.

Postie had by this time delivered three of the four sewing machine related items I'd ordered, the outstanding one being vital to progress on seat cover fabrication so nothing doing there. Much later help was available so brake bleeding commenced. Only a very soft pedal could be achieved without vigorous pumping so I dismissed my assistant and set to checking all the joints. I quickly identified and tightened the culprit, which was one of those into the four way union. The cave was by now a furnace so I called it a day

Regards, Mickl
Old 24th July 2020, 07:17

Not much to report from yesterday: my bleeding assistant was unavailable so I decided to play with the sewing machine. After a couple of schoolboy errors, and discovering that some parts of the machine weren't designed for bloke sized hands, I got acceptable seams in pieces of scrap vinyl. I also discovered that the teflon foot advertised as 'suitable for my machine' wasn't. An e-mail to the vendor elicited a request for a photo', as my machine is 'very unusual'. "Well he would say that, wouldn't he."

After perusing pictures of sundry 50s Italian racing machinery I'd decided that Mobil Pegasus stickers for the nose would suit. They arrived (by return) yesterday. Excuse even shakier photo' than usual - DTs, moi?

Sun's shining, off down the cave.

Regards, Mick
Old 14th August 2020, 07:03

Sharing the cave with wildlife. Taken yesterday.

Regards, Mick
Old 14th August 2020, 19:32

Worrisit?
Old 15th August 2020, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
Worrisit?
A fox cub. It sat there for five or so minutes having a good scratch. Broad daylight in the middle of the city. I love it .

Regards, Mick
Old 15th August 2020, 07:34

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Very cute. Where I live the wildlife takes pictures of us...
Old 16th August 2020, 09:26

Default Browsing 'Replicas' on Ebay...

I think I may invest in a wad of lottery tickets this week....

Divine.

Regards, Mick
Old 15th September 2020, 07:23

Thumbs up Bled at last

Three weeks ago today I was cutting my daughter's grass, which includes shifting the trampoline (in which she'd put my granddaughter's paddling pool) to get to the bit underneath. Failing to take into account the weight of storm water dumped in the paddling pool I did myself a serious mischief lifting it. Hamstrings - ouch! Both hernia repairs - ouch! Slipped disc - ouch! This put progress on hold and was followed by last week's house/dog/cat sitting for a holidaying friend.

In the interim I'd bought an Eezibleed due to the fag of recruiting help, plus the lack of success. Anyway, yesterday, at last feeling up to it, I pitched in and the job was done in what seemed like no time. The only tiny hiccup was the master cylinder cap not sealing at first, even after a gentle tweak with water pump pliers. A few twists of PTFE tape sorted that and success - a hard pedal .

Seat covers here I come.

Regards, Mick
Old 15th September 2020, 07:47

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
Hamstrings - ouch! Both hernia repairs - ouch! Slipped disc - ouch!
"Ouch" doesn't come into it. I'm glad you are on the mend. Eazibleeds will always make you feel better once you get the seal.