Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 22nd February 2011, 21:02
Kit Car Dreamer

Will5 is on a distinguished road
Default What does this do?

Not for the first time I am completely confused.

There is a 3 Pin connector coming from the ECU, looking at the comments in other threads Jason has identified that the Green wire is important. But what should this be connecting to, I have spent hours pouring over the Haynes wiring diagrams with a magnifying glass. I think I have found it (although one of the colours is different - Brown Yellow is white in the manual) the description is 'Wire harness connection (near glovebox)' I am not sure what this means. Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticiapation

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECU 3 Pin Connector.jpg (71.2 KB, 14 views)
Available from eBay
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:49
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

I'm assuming that you mean this thread:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...9&postcount=33

So you'll know that the green wire in that three way plug goes to the coil of the main relay and is energised when you turn the ignition on.

I clipped the other two leads, heat shrank them and bound them into the loom when I recovered it. They don't seem to be of any use in the Sportster, and I never managed to decipher the wiring diagrams (Haynes, Bentley or BMW) for those cables.
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:04
Kit Car Dreamer

Will5 is on a distinguished road

That's good news, so don't need to worry about the other wires, phew!

Thank you for the confirmation.

I'm coming to the conlusion that I should have taken alot more of the wiring and connectors out of the doner. One thing I wished I had taken out was the light switch connector.
Old 23rd February 2011, 07:36
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I used the complete engine loom as it came off the donor. The relays associated with the engine were connected in that loom - I didn't have to "manually" wire anything.

I remember a spare connector by the ECU but on my car it didn't go anywhere. (and still doesn't....)

Robin
Old 23rd February 2011, 07:49
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

So did I. I didn't reuse the BMW fuse box though, so my wiring will be different. But that green cable definately goes to the Main relay on my loom... and without power to it nothing happened...

IIRC, I connected to the 'run' feed from the ignition switch - it's one of two green cables. Apparently one of them has a violet stripe on it (if you can see it, that is) which is not the one to use (I did, first time round and it caused a fair bit of head scratching) - as it doesn't supply power on the ignition portion of the switch, just accessory and run.