Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 9th March 2010, 07:38
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Weather Gear

Guys - I'll be needing a tonneau cover - those of you that have them, what material are they made out of? Is it vinyl, or leather?

I have quite a bit of red vinyl left from the interior, and was wondering if it could be used by the company that makes the Marlin covers to make a matching one for me.

Also - I know (from Robin's experience) that the Marlin supplied cover can be a bit of a pig to fit, due to missing roll bar holes and the 'one size fits no-one' approach. Would it be best to measure up relevent key points on the cockpit to ensure a better fit?
Available from eBay
Old 9th March 2010, 08:57

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Well, it might not be of any use, but years ago I had a Spartan Treka kit car, and it needed an new hood (actually it was more like a tent). By then Spartan had gone out of business and I got a new one made by a local car trimmer and upholseter.

They had the car and made it to fit. At the time the cost was about £400, which included windows etc.

As you can see it used a huge amount of material.

So my advice would be to look in Yellow pages and get it custom made.

Last edited by Chris Cussen; 9th March 2010 at 09:05..
Old 9th March 2010, 10:26
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Guys - I'll be needing a tonneau cover - those of you that have them, what material are they made out of? Is it vinyl, or leather?

I have quite a bit of red vinyl left from the interior, and was wondering if it could be used by the company that makes the Marlin covers to make a matching one for me.

Also - I know (from Robin's experience) that the Marlin supplied cover can be a bit of a pig to fit, due to missing roll bar holes and the 'one size fits no-one' approach. Would it be best to measure up relevent key points on the cockpit to ensure a better fit?
The material used for hoods, tonneau's etc. is specific to that use. You can't use ordinary vinyl as it is too stretchy. The posh stuff is called double duck - take a look at the Woolies web site for some pictures. I would go to a local coach trimmer if I were you. I guess it will be more expensive but at least it will fit! The really nice looking ones sometimes have a bead arround the outside edge that matches the interior trim or the paint. The Marlin one has three zips in it and the centre one is offset. The idea is if it p!sses it down with rain you just zip out the minimum amount and at least the rest of the car stays dry even if you dont....

Mine will be absolutely useless in a heavy shower as there are big gaps around the roll bar. In fact I would be interested in getting a bespoke one made myself - I really hate things that don't fit properly.....

Robin
Old 10th March 2010, 08:02

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

You could try www.allwheeltrim.co.uk they mainly do land rovers but they have done custom stuff before
Old 10th March 2010, 08:28
Enthusiast

Thanks Chris.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:06
Enthusiast

Hmmm - my Google-fu is weak today... I've tried searching for local coach trimmers and only come up with one chap who makes leather stearing wheel covers.

Changing tack, cabriolet roofs found this:

http://www.autotrimmer.co.uk/index.html

He's in Milton Keynes.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:54
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

GOO
I used this one man band - very good - years ago to re-cover some seats in leather, and he is still in business.
He has re-upholstered plenty of classic cars in his time, including some pretty special Ferraris, so he has a good pedigree.

Simon
Simtrim - Tel:01406 381205

I plan to use him to trim my Cabrio - if his rates are still reasonable!

Mike
Old 11th March 2010, 09:59
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Hmmm - my Google-fu is weak today... I've tried searching for local coach trimmers and only come up with one chap who makes leather stearing wheel covers.

Changing tack, cabriolet roofs found this:

http://www.autotrimmer.co.uk/index.html

He's in Milton Keynes.
Why don't you try asking Woolies? I guess they must supply lots of coach trimmers

Robin
Old 11th March 2010, 11:30
Enthusiast

A cracking idea, which may have just borne fruit. I called Woolies, and they put me onto a chap in Daventry (Doug Sutton) who does this sort of work for AK Cobras.

Just had a chat, and he seems ammenable to do it - he just needs to measure up to give me a price, so I'll call him again next week and see if he can come and take a look.

I also have a number for an outfit in Wellingborough - Elite Coach Trimming (07949 980260)