Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 11th February 2006, 17:41
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Oh Fudge...

Bugger, Bugger, Bugger!

I've been gradually stripping stuff off my donor car, in readiness for the big day when I hoick the engine out and get the running gear off.

Well, the engine was almost free (only held in by the mounts and the gearbox and exhaust). So I finally got round to trying to get the manifold and first section of the exhaust off.

The bolts (hah! I use the term loosely - blobs of corrosion is a better description) fought me at every turn. Most of them engine ones only came out with the studs, and some had to be ground-off before extracting the studs.

The blobs holding the exhaust to the manifold where even worse. So, I thought I'd take the same tack - grind them off and pull the studs. Big mistake. The studs seem to have merged with the manifold - they weren't budging at all. So I thought I'd drill them out, and retap. 6 busted drill bits later, I've got 3 almost drilled out, and one that has a drill bit well and truly lodged in the stud. I cant get the bugger out! It's wedged in so tight, and trying to drill out the drill bit is proving futile.

So it looks as if I've fubar'd it. Anybody know where I get a replacement?
Available from eBay
Old 12th February 2006, 08:56
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi there, greatoldone,

I too had issues getting one rusted stud out of my manifold, but I did eventaully get it out.
If you have part of the stud still protruding, try clamping this bit in a large vice and then grabing the manifold in both hands and rotating it.
If not I would try ebay, as i have seen them for sale from time to time.

Or there is these guys but I have not used them myself...http://www.fabdirect.com/index.html

I have a spare inlet manifold, if anyone is interested, but I guess that's not much use

all the best, Peter
Old 12th February 2006, 10:04
Enthusiast

Alfie is on a distinguished road

Try Fritz's Bits in somerset,( 01823 669425). I have found them to be very friendly, helpful and knowledgable. They build racing engines using their own custom manifolds and have a huge stock of used bmw parts, so theyr'e almost bound to have what you want.

Good luck, Alfie.
Old 12th February 2006, 11:19
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Also keep an eye on the classifieds at www.e30zone.co.uk I've managed to get a few parts there when needed

Otherwise try www.partsgateway.co.uk
Old 12th February 2006, 17:29
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys - Looks like I've managed to get one off e30zone.
Old 13th February 2006, 19:11
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Rusty Nuts

Sounds like I must have been lucky when I stripped my donor then - I didn't have a single blob. I put it down to BMW quality - but maybe it was just plain luck then. Not so lucky this week however - I have been "requested" to stop playing cars and decorate the lounge - groan :-(