Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 1st September 2017, 13:19

Barber is on a distinguished road
Default Tribute Z3gato (?!!)

When I got interested in kits again a couple of years ago the Tribute models and re-body approach won out over other options, (principally getting a ragged or unfinished Minari with a zippy 1.7 16 valve injected boxer engine).

Whilst initially attracted by the Tribute 250 SWB, I soon realised that I wanted something different. Next up I toyed with the idea of a cobra back end, Z3 hardtop and something like WCAs short nose front. But that was not quite right either (though still a good option for me if nothing else materialised – see the Ferrari style below) so I started searching the internet for images of what took my fancy. I found this... the Alfa Zagato SZ Tonda. They sell for in excess of £250,000, so obviously a real one was not on the cards.

After initial discussions with Chris at the end of last year, and early in this, it became clear that it was a significant ground up design project, and was not likely to get prioritisation from Chris any time soon. A pity as it remains my favourite style and size. It would have gone onto an MX5, MK3 probably. I think that is an Aston Martin DB4 GT (not Zagato) in the background.

All was not lost though. The 50s and 60s Italian designs of Pinifarina and Zagato grabbed my attention and the hunt was on. More web searches followed and I decided that I preferred the Zagato designs ahead of Pinafarina. As well as the Alfa design above, Zagato came up with a few more in the late 50s and 60s. None of them are cheap options to go the ‘original’ route though.

There is this from Masserati....

Especially the back

This from Fiat.....

Liking that scoop and more like the Alfa

This from Lancia....

That front is more like it but the rear wing and grill look clumsy. Elsewhere, images of the dash look clean.

This from Ferrari....

That has a ‘muscle’ presence, and a long bonnet and scoop. But not as elegant as the others and the brake vent is a bit of a wart on the nose (unless you like Cobras).

This from Aston Martin....

Liking the slimmer waist and proportions up front. This is an approved, Sanction II replica that sold for over £1,250,000. Gulp.

I also spotted this on Zagmad's build thread.....

Built on an MX5, it prompted me to contact Chris to find out if the opportunity had gone, it had, ah well.

But it set my mind to thinking, and Chris's too. Was there a way to advance existing investment that could yield a Zagato like style on a Z3? I’ll explain why not Z4 later.

Last edited by Barber; 25th April 2018 at 06:09..
Available from eBay
Old 1st September 2017, 16:49

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

The red Zagato................only its mother could love it!

I wonder if a hardtop (of ny design) on the MX5 or Z3 would be better using the original soft top front clips?
No cracking problems and the rear clip would then be removable.
Should also make the build easier and quicker.
Is it the angle the picture has been taken from or has Zagmads dipped at the A post?
Looks nothing like the last picture.
Old 1st September 2017, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
The red Zagato................only its mother could love it!

I wonder if a hardtop (of ny design) on the MX5 or Z3 would be better using the original soft top front clips?
No cracking problems and the rear clip would then be removable.
Should also make the build easier and quicker.
Is it the angle the picture has been taken from or has Zagmads dipped at the A post?
Looks nothing like the last picture.
Gasp, how dare you, sir.

There are so many bits that will be different on mine, it probably makes sense to stick with Chris for the roof. I am not overly fussed about having a removable top. Thanks anyway.

It won't be quite like that anyway. Zagmad's was an early version, he has gone a completely different direction now. Not sure what it actually looks like at present, we have only seen photos of other production cars.
Old 1st September 2017, 18:29

Sorry, but I meant all hard tops to be fixed with the original soft top clips to avoid cracking and to make the build easier.

The Zatago looks as if it was breed from a Beetle and some other ugly car, sorry but it is simply Fugly.
Your last mix was much better.
Old 1st September 2017, 20:01

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Barber - Well I am always amazed at what Chris and Dan can do with bits they find lying around.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Barber - Well I am always amazed at what Chris and Dan can do with bits they find lying around.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 2nd September 2017, 14:14

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I really like the red Zagato at the top ...its got very obvious Porsche 356 influence to my eye , which can never be a bad thing .....
Old 2nd September 2017, 14:21

Evanta cars used to offer this gorgeous example before they ceased trading .....

Old 2nd September 2017, 15:02

The red alfa was a mid to late 1950s design. The silver one has some very obvious leanings when you compare it to the green Sanction II in my post. Some of the AM Zagatos have a scoop on the bonnet too, showing the heredity from the db4 gt.
Old 2nd September 2017, 16:14

The Evanta is very pretty, much more so than the red beetle lookalike
Old 2nd September 2017, 21:15

obr is on a distinguished road

This sounds great.

I always loved zagmad's project until it changed directlon. The front end (even at concept stage) looked great.

Old 3rd September 2017, 13:28

I am not really a fan of using OEM badges on kits and replicas, but just noticed the Zagato Z on the side of the Evanta. Hmmmm

This car will be a Tribute to the designer, rather than a particular marque. Would that make me bad?
Old 3rd September 2017, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
I am not really a fan of using OEM badges on kits and replicas, but just noticed the Zagato Z on the side of the Evanta. Hmmmm

This car will be a Tribute to the designer, rather than a particular marque. Would that make me bad?
DIFFICULT ONE ...It doesn't bother me ...the Pinafarina badges get used a lot and they look ok to my eye ...I too , don't like the great big ''Begging Donkey'' badges etc that get plastered everywhere ....but designer badges feels less of a no-no to me ...can't really justify my opinion , just exactly that , my opinion ...
Old 3rd September 2017, 17:40

zagmad is on a distinguished road

2 vev would be easier to replicate . The 1 vev requires a short over hang and low haunches at the back. I learnt the hard way. Life goes on. The new build is taking hints from the maserati zagato but with sharper,crisper wings . Quite drawn to the two tone of the fez 250 zagato. Hope all goes well . Measure twice cut once
Old 3rd September 2017, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
DIFFICULT ONE ...It doesn't bother me ...the Pinafarina badges get used a lot and they look ok to my eye ...I too , don't like the great big ''Begging Donkey'' badges etc that get plastered everywhere ....but designer badges feels less of a no-no to me ...can't really justify my opinion , just exactly that , my opinion ...
I tend to agree. Given how many times designers have used other designers' ideas and styles, together with re-peddling across several marques, what the actual design ip is, becomes almost impossible to determine. Some of the Ferrari rear ends done by Pinafarina are almost indistinguishable from Zagato ones. People are not going to look at a tribute (or even a replica if it comes to it) and say, "Wow, I thought that was really a Pinafarina".
Old 4th September 2017, 18:36

Default Part 2

So what is it exactly that I want? In summary:

An every day driver.
A coupe, with aircon.
Electric stock windows (roadster or coupe)
Electric heated seats probably the Rover ones
Something like Kidge's 275 lined roof.
Dash maybe using the z3 instruments and warning lights, with a glove box or recess
Modified doorcards maybe like those in andysharrock’s Build No 4 thread, possibly with small pockets, though Kidges modified Z3 approach appeals.

Style wise, externally, I am not a fan of the 250 door skins. And despite some design compromises, I will go with the original Z3 doors, hence why not a Z4. I will most likely make handle modifications such as WCAs Fiat handles at some stage, though the early BMW Series 3 handles also appeal and are probably easier to do.

I was impressed how good the Z300s look in the flesh with the slimmer waist. The photos do not do them justice. Thanks Nick and IainA for sharing experiences on here, but especially at the club meet this summer.

Nose is still open, could be similar to any of the Zagatos above.

The MGB slab back window will not do for me. And rear quarter lights are required to offset the required changes if stock roadster (or coupe) windows are retained. I see Roadster has had similar thoughts previously too. I will probably swap the wing mirrors with the modern mini ones, though not sure how I will treat (or fit them) - body coloured covers probably.

Wheels - as this will be my every day driver, and given that there is a premium to getting this off the ground, something like Dunlop style steels is an economic option, or maybe Calibres like ericholm. The Maserati above looks like it could have Calibres from that distance. Only the Alfa and Lancia have steel wheels, and compared to the Alfa, the Fiat looks better for the spoke style wheels.

The deal with Chris is now done, so watch this space after Christmas.

Next on the list of things to do is to get the donor 2.8 when prices drop in the next few weeks. Could be a challenge as probably I will be abroad working for 3 weeks at the end of September, and a 10 day holiday planned for October. In the meantime, start looking and shopping for the accessories that Chris will need for the initial build.

I know that my taste or ideas may not be to everyone’s liking, but heyho. There will also be style compromises resulting from not starting from scratch as well. So be it, I have faith that Chris and Dan will come up with the goods.

All opinions and feedback are welcome, (sooner rather than later). Once we kick off, there will be minimal changes to the project.
Old 4th September 2017, 19:47

I would suggest getting a donor asap to iron out any bugs. Also, remove the door cards and see how you like a long journey without an armrest. Very hard to get comfy without an armrest.
You might be able to fit a retro armrest from an MGB or similar.

There was s set of BMW Dunlop style wheels on Ebay last week from Germany last week, looked the same as the steels but were actually alloy wheels. I think they were £88 inc delivery.
Old 4th September 2017, 22:17

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Depending on how the build is constructed, getting a fresh MOT just before strip down begins might help.

As, for example, ericholm’s build was able to stay road legal while under construction.

Based on these two statements I think you have every chance of ending up with a great car in the end.

”Once we kick off, there will be minimal changes to the project.”

”I have faith that Chris and Dan will come up with the goods.”

Good luck, Paul.
Old 5th September 2017, 05:47

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There was s set of BMW Dunlop style wheels on Ebay last week from Germany last week, looked the same as the steels but were actually alloy wheels. I think they were £88 inc delivery.
these look good

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/253088156760...14&_mwBanner=1
Old 5th September 2017, 11:43

Quote:
I would suggest getting a donor asap to iron out any bugs. Also, remove the door cards and see how you like a long journey without an armrest. Very hard to get comfy without an armrest.
You might be able to fit a retro armrest from an MGB or similar.

Good advice, I never thought about that.