Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 27th January 2013, 15:24

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road
Default Underfelt

Gents, after this last cold spell I ventured into the garage to strip all of the carpeting and crap trim that was there from the previous owner.
I removed the seats and steering wheel to give me more access and upon removing some of the carpet I discovered that some areas have been fitted with underlay felt.
My thoughts are why ?

My Sportster has a very throaty noisy exhaust which defeats the object of sound deadening felt. i am tempted to remove this as well.

The question is have any of you fitted felt under your carpets.

In fact you may have because I know you have radio's / cd players. Your cars are quieter than mine so you could hear it.

Will be on the blower this week to Woolies to order same stuff as Jason.
Available from eBay
Old 27th January 2013, 20:31
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I fitted sound deadening foam rubber sheet under my carpet as I didn't want any resonance or booming inside the cockpit. Sure you can hear the exhaust but other than that my car is very quiet inside and often people comment on that.
It cuts down on the engine noise and gives the car a solid production kind of feel and it also makes the carpet squashy when you put your hand down to get in and out or knock your knee against the tunnel.
I chose foam rubber rather than the traditional felt in case the car got soaked in a downpour.
I used a heavier sound proofing material in the boot space.
I bought the stuff from this company...
http://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/

I would definitely use it again.

...peter
Old 28th January 2013, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I fitted sound deadening foam rubber sheet under my carpet as I didn't want any resonance or booming inside the cockpit. Sure you can hear the exhaust but other than that my car is very quiet inside and often people comment on that.
It cuts down on the engine noise and gives the car a solid production kind of feel and it also makes the carpet squashy when you put your hand down to get in and out or knock your knee against the tunnel.
I chose foam rubber rather than the traditional felt in case the car got soaked in a downpour.
I used a heavier sound proofing material in the boot space.
I bought the stuff from this company...
http://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/

I would definitely use it again.

...peter
Thanks Peter, I can understand your thinking. I think therefore I will leave the felt the felt in situ. just needs a touch of adhesive in places to restick it.
Like the idea of the rubber sheet underneath, so will replicate that.

Incidently love all your work on the Sabre, quality job.

Just had a renewal quote from Adrian flux insurance and they quoted me £183. Therefore gave 2Gether Insurance a call ( from the Marlin website ) and they have quoted me £130. Big difference. Obvious where I will go.
Old 28th January 2013, 14:11
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpearce View Post

Just had a renewal quote from Adrian flux insurance and they quoted me £183. Therefore gave 2Gether Insurance a call ( from the Marlin website ) and they have quoted me £130. Big difference. Obvious where I will go.
That seems a very good price! IIRC I pay about £200 with Adrain Flux but that includes breakdown and recovery cover.
Old 28th January 2013, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
That seems a very good price! IIRC I pay about £200 with Adrain Flux but that includes breakdown and recovery cover.
My existing insurance with Adrian flux also covers breakdown, but I have AA breakdown cover which covers every vehicle my wife or I drive. So if I break down in the Marlin the AA will recover it, oh and me of course.

2Gether insurance also has breakdown cover included for that £130.