Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds

Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds In a Vortex with your Phantom build? Share your build experiences here.

Old 9th June 2006, 08:38
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road
Default Headlamp Options

Ken and Rich,
we're now got a few options for headlights, thought it might be worth putting a thread up about them so we could discuss which would fit, as i know Ken has already had a play with some units.
From looking around i think the options are:

VW Lupo
Porsche 997
VW Bettle
BMW Mini
Mercedes E class (if the smaller fog light is cut off)
Posrche Boxster (the new ones, however these will require a lot more work to make fit i feel as they do go around the front of the body partially unlike the 997 units)

I think the mini and lupo ones due to the angle theyre at in the oem location, they would have to be stepped back into the phantom body, then possibly use the phantom perpex to make them seem flush with the surface of the body, or just keep a step there.
Available from eBay
Old 9th June 2006, 10:42
Enthusiast

ricola is on a distinguished road

I think the ideal lights would be the 997 ones as they aren't too recognisable as coming from a Porsche, sort of a generic oval shape. Mounting/adjusting would be a pain tho'.

I've already bought my BMW M3 bi-xenon projectors, for which I will make a conical shroud with a groove to take a circular angel eye sidelight. I'll make up the complete headlight pod into the phantom parts so it should be a complete sealed assembly which then bolts into the body.

Looking forward to having a play with the Lupo lights this afternoon if we can Eddy... Worst case you can come over to mine and we can hold the bit of body I have next to a neighbour's lupo.. I definitely wouldn't add another cover to the equation, just fit the headlight so it looks like it is semi-sunk into the bodywork...
There are plenty of mini lights floating about, but I really think they are very recognisable with their chrome surround and would confuse the identity of the car...

What have been your thoughts Ken?

Rich
Old 9th June 2006, 14:28
Kit Car Dreamer

bgullatt is on a distinguished road

In the states we have quite a few that you may consider. Chrysler has some figure 8 looking units. Toyota has some that are almost a teardrop shape.

Bill
Old 9th June 2006, 23:23
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Other porsche headlight is the 993 (halogen) which if you fit it before SVA gets around the selfleveling and washer requirement of the 997 discharge lights.
I have tried new mini lights and the metal shell of the new Beetle. They could be made to fit but one problem would be the rear progection of the lights, there is quite a large amount behind the lens and I reckon it would foul the wheel arch liner at least and maybe the the wheel as well on full bump.
I have a set of 7" lights on order which I will use for SVA and then after go down the route of 90mm Bi-xenon projectors plus halo sidelights in the Phantom housing.