Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 15th December 2013, 18:04

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Previously I have removed the nasty plastic from behind the seats

and fitted the temparay carpet

Now I thgought I would try the nasty plastic between the seats

Unfortunately it is a single piece which connects to the bit of the central console I want to keep. Note, no joins

So get the car carpet onto a convenient cutting table

Lots of cut - try - cut - try

Looks quite neat from some angles

Less so from others

This is unfinished business

Possibly do the whole section when it is done in leather

All temporary so don't get your knickers in a twist yet please. Also stopped part way through as I was getting frustrated and didn't want to cock it up.

Hopefully I will be able to use the bit I end up with after the current round of cutting as a template for a better and neater cut job.

This will still be temporary until the new year when I hope to have a few pennies to spend on the car again. Until then I shall sit, relax and enjoy a Crafty Hen or two (3 for a Fiver at Tesco!)
Old 15th December 2013, 22:08

y cymro is on a distinguished road

I like that. I wonder how a manual gearchange boot would look like on your auto stick?
Old 16th December 2013, 17:07

manual gearchange boot would look like on your auto stick - I like that idea. I will keep my eye out for one to try
Old 16th December 2013, 19:17

Little Red Car is on a distinguished road

The gear lever from the Mk1 Triumph 2000 would be ideal: chrome stem with a spherical black knob. Very classic looking. I have a spare Triumph 1300 (chrome) stem if it'd be of any help? Only postage cost, though it'd have to be after Christmas I'm afraid.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:35

Lrc - I will check what the electrics with the button on my knob does. Might just strip off the plastic cladding and se what is underneath. Will mail you if I want your

Cheers
[Edit]
The button on the knob lifts a rod that stops you going out of park or from drive to reverse without pressing it in. Purely mechanical but kind of handy.

I might get a leather knob for the auto and also fit a gaiter from the manual. It will work in exactly the same way as it does at the moment but look like a manual.

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 17th December 2013 at 12:58..
Old 17th December 2013, 17:23

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road
Default Mods

Of course you must realise that you now you are in motion, you can't stop there, the modern handbrake lever lets it down now!

Suggest a Morris minor one (as a cheap alternative to a MK2 jag one) :-)
Old 18th December 2013, 08:13

Hand brake and steering wheel are waiting for the money fairy in the new year
Old 21st December 2013, 20:31

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Great to see you on Friday. It's really good to see people using and abusing their cars. It seems a shame to paint it, the patina is coming on nicely. Keep wearing those rear tyres out!!
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:16

A couple of little bits done today. The boot lock cover was easy, the gear gaitor not much harder. I like days like today.

A small sprung chroime keyhole cover and a pusher upper mounted inside. I like the neat result.

Start with a black plastic auto box

Prize out the gear surround

The gear knob just needs a 'gentle tug' to remove it. One of the sets of wires goes to the sports gear select switch. I am not sure what the other wire went to as it 'fell off' but everything still seems to work

I will need to resite the sports select button when I fit the gaitor so lets make a nice tape template and cut it out from underneath so I know exactly how bit the hole has to be

Carefully position it so the switch will be on the side of the drive tunnel near the drivers knee. Carefully cut out the hole for the switch using the template you so carefully prepared. Slide the switch into the perfectly sized hole and discover a metal strut blocking the position. Swear profusely

Make the hole a bit wider so the switch misses the hole, fit the switch and pretend that no-one will ever look there anyway so it doesn't matter

Fit the leather gaiter over the original plastic. Repeat half a dozen times as it keeps popping off at the corners and then fit in place

Smile at the finished job when you see the switch doesn;t really show too much but frown a bit at how stretched the gaiter looks when the stick is in Park. Need to get a better looking knob as well (insert your own joke here)
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:38

You've made a good job of that WCA looks like a manual now!
Much more in keeping with the period :-)
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:39

Forgot to ask, where did you get the pusher thing?
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:01

I had a 'popper' kit that was meant to pull the door opening mechanism and then the popper pushed the door open. They a popular with the custom car boys who want to remove external door handles.

It is just a bolt it a tube with a rubber tip and a spring at the bottom of the tube pushing it up. Shut the boot and the spring is compressed but held there by the boot catch. Release the catch and the boot lid pops up enough to get your fingers under. Quite neat I thought compared to a t-handle or similar.
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:40

y cymro is on a distinguished road

That gaitor looks good. Nice job.
Old 4th January 2014, 17:12

Picked up the new side repeaters from Hendy Ford. Apparently they had had then for a few days but didn't bother to contact me as they knew I would turn up for them sooner or later. Top customer (dis)service.

Anyway, first place the new units

Then drill a hole to take the push fit units. Does anyone know how I managed to drill a triangular hole?

Make sure the units are a tight fit as there are no clips holding them in place. The BMW units had little metal spring clips but it appears Ford don't bother.
Beneath the black tape is a piece of packing tape reversed to give a smooth surface over the hole left by the old light unit.

Fill the hile behind the tape with body filler and some metal gauze

And when you remove the tape the body filler is almost flush with the outside surface ready for sanding

Quick whizz over witht he electric mini sander and it is all as smooth as you like

Used a bit of spare metal gauze and filler to replace the broken tab on the front wing where it bolts to the car. Not sure this will last but it is better than the 'nothing' that was there before and easier than getting all glassed up for such a small thing.

No pictures of the wings fitted as it is dark and raining but I think they look better than the first lot I fitted. Nice and small. Funily enough I was walking out of the Ford garage when I spotted that Fiat 500 has even smaller and slightly oval clear side repeaters.
Old 12th January 2014, 12:55

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Just came across this.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maserati-B...item2a3613fcf5

Not sure what the prices are for these but might be a nice touch to your front grill if you where going down the maserati route...
Old 18th January 2014, 17:47

Today I got the car back from Tribute after gettin the door handles changed, side sills put on and brake cooling ducts put in the front. Thanks Chris for the great work again.

My plan for tomorrow is concrete in the remaining three fence posts and then play car.

I am getting some 5" semi riding aluminium ducting to feed cool air from the front of the car to blow over the front discs. It would be a lot easier if the bonnet, with the holes in, didn't lift up at the front. As it is I will need to have one bit of ducting connected to the bonnet and another piece pointing at the brakes and some amazing luck to ensure they line up when the bonnet is closed.

The other good news is that after getting rid of the sauna from the garage there is now room to park the car inside with both doors open and walk around it. I couldn't believe the luxury of sitting on some dense foam matting in the dry with the electric patio heater keeping me warm while I fiddled with the front wing to get all the bolts correctly attached.

I also managed to rescue my chrome filler cap which appeared to react really badly to uk weather by developing both pitting and crusty layers. A short whole with a polishing wheel fitted to the Dremel and a bit of chrome cleaner sorted that out.

I didn't get much else done today as I turned the 1 hour journey back from Chris into a 3 hour maximum attack, roof down, traction control off session of pure enjoyment. Wet roads and no one around is great. Drifting the car at legal speeds with clear visibility. What fun!

Anyway, relaxing in a bath with a couple of Old Crafty Hen (beer not women) and thinking about the Tribute Owners Club.
Old 18th January 2014, 19:37

seanick is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Sounds like a GOOD DAY.
Old 19th January 2014, 18:56

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Nick, I can't believe you haven't posted any pictures of your car yet! Or have you put them on different tread? Did you get any paint on today?

Old 19th January 2014, 19:49

Little Red Car is on a distinguished road

Love the changes made here, especially the sills.
Old 19th January 2014, 20:36

No paint, too much time enjoying it!

Handles make me smile each time I open the door.

Refitted the door cards today but wasn't able to do the brake vents as I couldn't get any aluminium ducting in 5 inch. B&Q reckon they should have some in mid week.

Need to see what the money fairy brings me at the end of the month before I decide whether to paint it up myself. I have one pressing debug to pay before I. Other with paint and powder coated wheels.

Hopefully it will be a birthday present for me in February.