Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 19th June 2019, 16:26

GaryR is on a distinguished road
Default Another 250 SWB build

Hi all,

This is the start of my 250 SWB build-thread, a project being undertaken by the very able folks at Classic Coachworks...with some help (hindrance!) from myself at various points and as my time allows!

I very seriously considered buying a semi-built 250 SWB elsewhere, but decided against it on the basis that i'd rather start with a good solid donor car that had been looked after and with service history, rather than something I knew nothing about.

So after a good hunt I found and bought this....
IMG_0725.jpg
2.8 litre wide body, with service history and 77k miles. Wheels not to my taste at all, but a nice sound start-point....
Available from eBay
Old 19th June 2019, 16:29

Build started today at Classic Coachworks, where Ian and I jointly set about dismantling the donor and removing the various panels, etc...
IMG_0754.jpg
Old 19th June 2019, 16:33

Loosely offered up the rear 'clam' (more to get it out of the way than anything else at this stage!) and resulted in an immediate improvement on Munich's original offering....
IMG_0750.jpg
Old 19th June 2019, 16:35

Then set about the front end strip-down too....
IMG_0752.jpg
Old 19th June 2019, 16:42

Not bad for a first morning's work (if I do say so myself!)

I'm going a little off-piste with some of the spec but Ian has been very amenable to my ideas and is obviously a man who enjoys a challenge or two!

I'm planning on fitting the Grassbank rear window conversion, plus a fuel filler on the rear deck with the boot-lid re-shaped accordingly as some other's have previously done of course (notably Ace's 250 recently!) - I personally think the rear wings look so much cleaner without the filler protruding on the haunches!

More to follow as the build progresses, but meantime a big shout-out to Ian and Belle at Classic - highly recommended to all considering a build!
Old 19th June 2019, 17:01
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the group and good luck with the build. I’m not far so may come look see at some stage (with dirty clothes on just in case).

Dave
Old 19th June 2019, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Welcome to the group and good luck with the build. I’m not far so may come look see at some stage (with dirty clothes on just in case).

Dave
Thank you Dave! Appreciated! I've lurked here for a while and have read your own build-thread with great interest too of course!

Do please check with Ian/Belle before popping in at their's unannounced as they are often out sorting parts/cars etc for their customers! I'm sure they'd be disappointed to miss any callers!
Old 19th June 2019, 20:08

Simon E is on a distinguished road

Welcome along Gary and cool build thread so far! What colour will you be going for and what size and kind of wheels?
Old 19th June 2019, 20:09

Barber is on a distinguished road

Great to see another new buil thread. Good luck
Old 19th June 2019, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon E View Post
Welcome along Gary and cool build thread so far! What colour will you be going for and what size and kind of wheels?
Hi Simon, and thanks for the welcome! I'm thinking a dark blue, maybe a period Ferrari shade too and so perhaps Pozzi. Not 100% decided as yet tbh!

For wheels I like wire wheels for the period look, but I'm not sure I can be @rsed with the cleaning of them and I actually really like the 5-spoke look of one of the early Tribute development cars here...http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...?t=5387&page=2
Again, not 100% decided...apart from the fact that the wheels from the donor car won't be re-fitted...Ian has plans for these himself!

Last edited by GaryR; 19th June 2019 at 20:28..
Old 19th June 2019, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Great to see another new buil thread. Good luck
Thanks Barber! Local to one another I see! I'm Ascot area!
Old 19th June 2019, 20:31

Simon E is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping to get Image wheels to make me a set of their 16 inch "DBW" cast bolt on wheel that looks like a wire wheel. Advantage is you don't have to mess around with different hubs just bolt them on as normal and you can get a decent offset on them to get the wheels inside the arches. Pricey though.....

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/dbw-alloy-wheel/

Last edited by Simon E; 19th June 2019 at 20:40..
Old 19th June 2019, 20:43
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Thank you Dave! Appreciated! I've lurked here for a while and have read your own build-thread with great interest too of course!

Do please check with Ian/Belle before popping in at their's unannounced as they are often out sorting parts/cars etc for their customers! I'm sure they'd be disappointed to miss any callers!
Gary,

No worries about checking with Belle and Ian. It’s a little trek for me and will come bearing gifts. Lurker huh ? Thanks for coming out of the shadows

Oh and if you after spares and wheels the Z3 forum over on FB or online has stuff come up all the time. Ascot ? No wonder you are out of town this week

Dave
Old 19th June 2019, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon E View Post
I'm hoping to get Image wheels to make me a set of their 16 inch "DBW" cast bolt on wheel that looks like a wire wheel. Advantage is you don't have to mess around with different hubs just bolt them on as normal and you can get a decent offset on them to get the wheels inside the arches. Pricey though.....

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/dbw-alloy-wheel/
They look an interesting option! Wheels for me will be a decision to be taken later on though...plenty of other decisions to be taken in the meantime!
Old 19th June 2019, 22:31

Piguin is on a distinguished road

That is Very good progress for just one day in!

Car is going to look great with the rear window and bootlid conversion.

Oh, and welcome
Old 20th June 2019, 08:51

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

If you are fitting the Grassbanks rear window, have a look at some of his other parts. Does a nice gear lever, front splash shields for the front and GRP wheel arches that close off the front and rear arches. He is also producing a Veglia dash insert to get rid of the original BMW dials, will look much nicer, will be perfect for Barbers dash.
He also sells the stainless steel electric side windows, these transform the look of the car but are £3.5k......ouch, but if you are going for a top quality build then I think they would be worth it.
If you need any help or advice, I'm just down the road in Egham.
One thing that I would suggest is that you ask CC to ensure that you get a tight gap around the bonnet. So many cars have a gap that you can get your fingers in down to the knuckles. It is a simple job to do and sets the build off.
Old 20th June 2019, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
If you are fitting the Grassbanks rear window, have a look at some of his other parts. Does a nice gear lever, front splash shields for the front and GRP wheel arches that close off the front and rear arches. He is also producing a Veglia dash insert to get rid of the original BMW dials, will look much nicer, will be perfect for Barbers dash.
He also sells the stainless steel electric side windows, these transform the look of the car but are £3.5k......ouch, but if you are going for a top quality build then I think they would be worth it.
If you need any help or advice, I'm just down the road in Egham.
One thing that I would suggest is that you ask CC to ensure that you get a tight gap around the bonnet. So many cars have a gap that you can get your fingers in down to the knuckles. It is a simple job to do and sets the build off.
Thanks for your pointers! Indeed, there’s a few other items from the Grassbank catalogue that I’ve included in the spec having spoken with them at Stoneleigh and looked at their fantastic demo car in detail there. I’d love their electric windows but they’re too rich for my budget initially. I’ve a little of my own experience in developing an electric window system for a car designed without them so may have a go myself, but in all likelihood will probably stick with the standard slider for the foreseeable future!

Noted on panel gaps too - I have great confidence in Classic’s abilities in that area! Their own Coupe demo car is shaping up very nicely now!

Thanks again for the input! Appreciated!
Old 21st June 2019, 12:05

clinkadink is on a distinguished road

Welcome Gary. Good progress so far. The 250 SWB mould is certainly better quality than the Kobra mould. Looking at your panels, there is a lot less prep to do. I am looking at getting this kit next, so will follow this thread closely. Great work and good luck.

Chris of Swindon
Old 21st June 2019, 15:47

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I think you will find the body of the kobra needs a lot less work than the 250. The 250 needs a lot of work to get the gaps right and the bonnet sitting correctly.
Then you have the mx250, I was tempted but the amount of bodywork needed put me off, I could see me giving up halfway through the build.
You then have the RS200, God help you, and finally, you have the Sammio. Apparently, it comes with its own noose so you can hang yourself in the garage!
Old 21st June 2019, 16:33

clinkadink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
I think you will find the body of the kobra needs a lot less work than the 250. The 250 needs a lot of work to get the gaps right and the bonnet sitting correctly.
Then you have the mx250, I was tempted but the amount of bodywork needed put me off, I could see me giving up halfway through the build.
You then have the RS200, God help you, and finally, you have the Sammio. Apparently, it comes with its own noose so you can hang yourself in the garage!
I meant the condition of the received GRP. Apparently this is because the 250 mould is better, newer, and there have been many more pulls from the Kobra mould comared to the 250.