Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 28th May 2017, 19:17

deggsy is on a distinguished road

The long driveshaft's are still an on-going issue I've had to send for a 5/8 unf die to repair the threads,
in the mean time I fitted the spacers to the front wheels and they look much better now.

sorry about the rubbish photo not enough room in the garage.
this of course caused it's own problem the tyres were now catching on the lower wheel arch these were cut back and a new lip made with glass paste.

\I find this shooooo much easier than fafing about with matting, resin, and hardener.
I suspect now that I've moved the wheels out a bit I can take a bit of the steering lock out hmmmm
Old 29th May 2017, 16:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Spooky!

I've just repaired a small section of wheel arch the same way.

Keep chipping away at it, good luck, Paul.
Old 3rd June 2017, 19:49

I tried to turn the car around yesterday to state work on the rear drive shafts but the blinking thing wouldn't start again? after hours of playing with it I concluded it was a fuse box bad connection I had no indicators fuel gauge or ignition unless I pressed on the fuses so I spent all my free time today wiring in a new one very fiddly when you can't gat at the wires properly. With the new one wired in the car eventually started I just have to tidy up the wiring and decide where to locate it when I have five.

Old 4th June 2017, 15:43

Deggsy - I know that useless Spitfire fuse box feeling all too well.

It is just a shame I had ripped the wiring loom for the front lights to pieces trying to find the fault before I fitted this.

Although making a nice alloy cover to protect the fuses is still on my 'To Do' list.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 18th June 2017, 14:45

I've spent a few hours trying to re-setup the front suspension and steering It's getting closer the camber is now 5% neg (should be 1%) and the wheels are just touching the chassis on full lock so a bit more to do yet!
but whilst I had the opportunity I decided to turn the car around to have a go at the back end and have a photo shoot for the DVLA and you lot of course.

as you can see the back wheels are a bit lost in the arches even with the wheel spacers on I am hoping the longer spitfire shafts will help but it eill be an awful lot of work for an extra 25mm ouch
Old 18th June 2017, 21:11

molleur is on a distinguished road

Really like those seats too! Nice.
Old 19th June 2017, 07:03

Deggsy – Seeing the car outside the garage really shows the progress you’ve made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggsy View Post
…as you can see the back wheels are a bit lost in the arches…
I think the style of the car makes that less of an issue than you may think.

Scottie’s rear wheels are also inset a bit compared to the arches, but his car still looks great.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 19th June 2017, 09:12

Thanks too both of you for your kind comments Paul you are right Scotties car looks grate his car is spitfire based and I think he already has the long drive shafts? It should be fun getting them setup for a herald based car Hmmm
Old 1st July 2017, 12:51

I have temporarily abandoned extending the rear drive shafts after discovering that apart from making longer trailing arms I will need a longer hand brake cable and the brakes will have to be re plumed Doh!
So I carried on with a few other jobs the back end has grown a couple more light fittings revers and fog the wiring is already there so I thought why not??

I also started work on the headrests now don't laugh they area bit rough noooo I said don't laugh to be honest I think my upholsterer will cry when he sees them

You can stop laughing now.
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:34

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I make motorcycle seats. When shaping the foam I use an electric carving knife to get the rough shape and then a mini belt sander to get the final shape. You can also use an angle grinder with an 80 grit disc. Sounds a bit extreme but it works and you get a surprisingly good finish.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 3rd July 2017 at 14:07..
Old 2nd July 2017, 15:23

Ambitious_TAS is on a distinguished road

Deggsy, the work looks brilliant so far - well done. Eyeing up an A352 for my project, so has been really useful to see the lessons you have been learning. Keep it up!!
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:36

Jaguartvr
Thanks for the advice I'll give it a try.
Ambitious
You should read Scotties thread as well it's much more in depth than mine but thanks for the compliment, it'll be good to have another A352 build on here.
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:28

Jaguartvr
I just had a go at the head rest foam with my D.A. 80 grit disk and it worked a treat nice one.
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:17

I spent a few hours last week flatting the body got board with that and decided to make the rear number plate holder. This was supposed to be a plug for a fibreglass one but worked out quite well so it will now be in alloy and removable.

It still needs tidying up but will be ok when finished.
I have bought a spitfire mk3 hardtop which I hope to use as the front screen after cutting of the roof bit and repairing a few rusty bits I am collecting it tomorrow so watch this space, if it doesn't work no matter as it was very cheap and we gat a nice day out pub meal etc. etc.
Old 22nd July 2017, 20:10

Ambitious_TAS is on a distinguished road

Cracking work shipmate, looks really impressive! Good luck working through those last few issues!
Old 24th July 2017, 16:43

Thanks for the encouragement Ambitious.
I collected the spitfire hardtop yesterday
Trial fit looks ok?

removed the screen and most of the roof panel It looks as if it will be a close fit once the execs is removed but there are a lot of repairs to make first as there is a lot of rust in the screen lip area etc. etc.

Old 24th July 2017, 19:58

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I think the blind spot created may be too big for comfort.
Old 24th July 2017, 22:59

Hopefully not as there is quite a bit more to cut off yet, I want to do the repairs and put in some strength back into it before cutting it back any more?
Old 30th July 2017, 20:07

I have welded a few plates in to strengthen the frame and then cut it down some more to the approximate size as you can see there are a lot of repairs and mods to do yet unfortunately a friend who has the tooling to repair the lip is currently working on his VW bus so I have to wait for a while to continue with it.

Old 2nd August 2017, 12:32

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Blood hell Degsy! That looks brilliant! I wish I had thuoght of that as the trouble I went to, to fabricate my screen was a bit of a nightmare. Your's looks so similar to mine but even better, as it is straight along the bottom edge.

For double skinning and re-inforcement, take a look at my old thread as I covered it all there, and have had no problems with it blowing off the car at speed! You will need wipers too which may be a bit tricky!

I did have the same blind spot issue that you have, but solved mine with quarterlights, again look at my thread.

There are several ways to get rid of the blind spot and I'm sure you will find your own way.

Keep at it, you really are getting there.