Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 31st August 2017, 18:56

trev dunn is on a distinguished road

Two fantastic looking cars a credit to all the time and effort you guys have put into them, I've not seen either in the flesh but one day. Had a good day at Tatton Park 2 weeks ago with the Italian Replica Club who spoke very highly of Andy's car, my Tribute was the only one there and got a lot of attention met a guy called Ian Fife from West Sussex who is just starting a build on a 250 SWB Convertible if the quality of his last build a f355 is anything to go by it should be a great looking well finished car Also managed to get to Oulton Park Gold Cup, lots of great classics on show and racing, an original Cobra Daytona Coupe had an off but did not get pranged it;s amazing that people race such rare motors. Not many replicas / kits, just the odd Cobra. Got in for free because the guy on the gate waved me through asking if it was a V12 told him the truth but still got in for free the car got lots of attention and I extolled the virtues of Tribute and Nubodi to anyone interested. Supposed to go to Event City Show at M/C at end of month but it looks like it may conflict with some treatment I'm having,well theres always next year.
Old 31st August 2017, 21:00

ericholm is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev dunn View Post
Two fantastic looking cars a credit to all the time and effort you guys have put into them, I've not seen either in the flesh but one day. Had a good day at Tatton Park 2 weeks ago with the Italian Replica Club who spoke very highly of Andy's car, my Tribute was the only one there and got a lot of attention met a guy called Ian Fife from West Sussex who is just starting a build on a 250 SWB Convertible if the quality of his last build a f355 is anything to go by it should be a great looking well finished car Also managed to get to Oulton Park Gold Cup, lots of great classics on show and racing, an original Cobra Daytona Coupe had an off but did not get pranged it;s amazing that people race such rare motors. Not many replicas / kits, just the odd Cobra. Got in for free because the guy on the gate waved me through asking if it was a V12 told him the truth but still got in for free the car got lots of attention and I extolled the virtues of Tribute and Nubodi to anyone interested. Supposed to go to Event City Show at M/C at end of month but it looks like it may conflict with some treatment I'm having,well theres always next year.
Great to hear of your exploits Trev, great to hear you are getting out and about with your lovely car. Any photos? I would like to go to more of the Italian replica clubs meets but they are too far north for me, for the most of their events, however I would be interested to hear if neil from the club (Black 250 GTO) talked anymore about LeMans classic 2018 I wonder?
Old 31st August 2017, 23:40

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

LeMans Classic 2018, how many are up for the trip next year ? I'll have to start a new thread !
Old 1st September 2017, 11:25

trev dunn is on a distinguished road

Cheers Andy.
Because of my treatment I've not been able to go too far afield but will be ok next year. I asked the guys at the rep club about LeMans and they all said they had such a good time last trip they were looking forward to repeating the exercise and would keep every one posted. Colin (really nice and talented guy) was the first member I spoke to a couple of years when I said I was building a SWB he said he was also thinking of building one himself. Colin's 250 was there along with Tim's 240Z based 250 GTO, both very impressive. I was also very impressed with all the other cars especially Russell's Dino LM Replica. I only took photos of the classics but Roy has posted some on the Italian Replica Club web site I am sandwiched between Tim;s GTO and Russell's Dino there is also one of me and my car in the members car section. Trev
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:35

Cool Silverstone

Spent the morning out at Silverstone and took some pictures.

IMG_1636 by eric holm, on Flickr

IMG_1628 by eric holm, on Flickr

IMG_1613 by eric holm, on Flickr

IMG_1602 by eric holm, on Flickr

IMG_1572 by eric holm, on Flickr

IMG_1566 by eric holm, on Flickr

IMG_1569 by eric holm, on Flickr

IMG_1551 by eric holm, on Flickr
Old 2nd September 2017, 21:24

molleur is on a distinguished road

Very nice!
Old 16th September 2017, 15:03

Talking

Which one do you prefer, left or right? Its no contest I guess! I'd take the left one all day long....

IMG_1759 by eric holm, on Flickr

Kop Hill Climb earlier today.

Last edited by ericholm; 16th September 2017 at 17:25..
Old 9th February 2018, 14:06

PaulEast is on a distinguished road

I love the look of the 250 and have started to properly look at whether a newbie like me would be able to do something similar (but probably no where near as beautiful!)
Old 9th February 2018, 14:15

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

There is no reason that a newbie couldn't build one. It is very straight forward and no special skills are needed. The newer kits have had a few modifications and are even easier to build.
The final finish is always down to the paint so you will have to shop around and get some prices for this as most home builders won't be able to do it to an acceptable standard.
Old 9th February 2018, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
There is no reason that a newbie couldn't build one. It is very straight forward and no special skills are needed. The newer kits have had a few modifications and are even easier to build.
The final finish is always down to the paint so you will have to shop around and get some prices for this as most home builders won't be able to do it to an acceptable standard.
Fantastic. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 9th February 2018, 15:57

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Where are you base Paul?

There may be some locals for you to look at. I am in Southampton and you are welcome to visit.
Old 9th February 2018, 16:15

I'm in north Surrey, just down the road from.... Egham, where I notice Jaguartvr is based! I used to work there and I'm now upset that I never saw him tearing about

I need to do some "persuasion" at home before I really get excited and start looking at other people's builds, also a bit of saving is required...

Just dreaming at the moment and having a good read through the threads here!

Thanks for the offer though WorldClassAccident!
Old 9th February 2018, 16:29

If you want to come over and have a look and get some advice then please feel free. Also happy to help in any way if you get stuck.
In an ideal world you can strip the exterior panels in a day.
A day to bolt on the exterior panels (soft top)
A couple of days to fit the door skins.
A couple of days for wiring.
A few weeks to gap and sand the body to a stage where it could be handed to a bodyshop.
Old 9th February 2018, 16:39

A very kind offer thanks. I'll start the persuasion!
Old 9th February 2018, 16:40

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

JagTVR - I thought our build thread was longer than a month start to finish...

:-)
Old 9th February 2018, 17:16

It was, by a long way. I did have a couple of months off due to holidays and was doing it in between other jobs.
If I do another one I would try and condense the build. My stop start approach was wrong, you need to have a time scale and try and keep to it.
From the moment you put your deposit down on the kit you can start buying parts. What you need to buy is well documented on the build threads. Ordering as you go and finding things out of stock can lead to long delays.
Try and buy the car beforehand so you can carry out any work before you commence the build.

As for persuasion at home, just buy it and lie about the price, that way you only get one bollocking , otherwise you get a bollocking when...
You suggest it
Tell her the price
The car turns up
The kit turns up

So save yourself some bollockings.
You could also be very brave and present her with a Z3 on the drive with a big bow on valentines day.

You would obviously need a massive pair to pull that off.
Old 12th February 2018, 19:24

couerdelion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I do another one I would try and condense the build. My stop start approach was wrong, you need to have a time scale and try and keep to it.
From the moment you put your deposit down on the kit you can start buying parts. What you need to buy is well documented on the build threads. Ordering as you go and finding things out of stock can lead to long delays.
Try and buy the car beforehand so you can carry out any work before you commence the build.
Sage advice!

I've found that the weeks I work on the car I'm motivated. As soon as I miss one it quickly turns to two...

Quote:
As for persuasion at home, just buy it and lie about the price, that way you only get one bollocking , otherwise you get a bollocking when...
You suggest it
Tell her the price
The car turns up
The kit turns up

So save yourself some bollockings.
I've mentioned I'm putting a body kit on a Z3. She's images of a cheap boy racer style contraption and therefore zero interest. She will see it when complete... 😁
Old 12th February 2018, 19:33

Barber is on a distinguished road

Even when they know, every purchase will bring raised eyebrows at the very least. This was from this afternoon.

" I'm just off to Screw fix. "

Her, "what for?"

Me, " black gloss spray paint."

Her, "what is that for?"

Me, "the car seat frames."

Her, "you didn't tell me about changing seats."

She had not spotted the frames in the garage, and I have been working on them before she gets up in the morning.
Old 12th February 2018, 21:14

Talking

Ha Ha...

Just read all these posts, I am sure we can have a thread dedicated to avoidance techniques, hints and tips and include humorous tales of being caught.

My car is made up of bits and bobs, this and that, nothing specific. Buy bits every now and then using all payment types, spread it around a little, leave little trails not massive foot prints. Avoid the 'how much' question by changing the subject as fast as possible or saying you're not sure as don't keep records then legit out of the room sharpish

Good luck to all!!!!
Old 13th February 2018, 19:46

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

You actually need to apply the reverse logic.

Look at these leather seats, they are £200 off, if I buy a pair i can save £400.