Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 20th March 2008, 18:26
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on Body shells

We need another topic to talk about.

How about body shells... I am going to need one sooner rather then later if I am to drive the car.

I know the Marlin body shell has taken a hit on finish in the passed, is there any sign there has been an improvement in recent deliveries?

My guess is that Marlin contract out the manufacture of the bodies so its a matter of contractor quality control and also the delivery is not linked to current homelessness of the factory.

I would like a bright blue colour so I may have to paint it anyway as the gell coat may not be up to the dressing it needs to make it look the proper job.

As a question to Mark and his team, can I ask if we can order a body kit with a thicker gell coat as an option so we have the opportunity to dress it to the sort of finish us amatures strive to achieve?

As committed builder of the 5Exi we have little choice.

Anyone else have a view?

Last edited by eaa53; 20th March 2008 at 18:27.. Reason: spelling
Available from eBay
Old 20th March 2008, 20:26
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I hope you are not questioning Marlin's quality again?
Old 20th March 2008, 20:40
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

The body panels are quite thin, which has good and bad points.

Painting is something I have considered, but ignoring cost issues for a moment, my biggest concern would be the amount the bodywork flexes, and the ability of paint to flex with the bodywork without cracking.

My bodywork has polished up okay-ish. The problems have come from the gelcoat not being thick enough in the region of flash lines, and lots of small (sub 1mm) voids in the gelcoat.

My bodges have been a mix of spraying with gloss black rattle can (and cutting it back), refilling with black gel coat, and mechanically polishing with a black wax.

The car looks fine from 6ft, but doesn't stand up well to close scrutiny.

Personally I'd rather spend the cost of a paint job on petrol, track day fees, tyres, and suspension mods.

I guess it depends if you prefer to stand and admire the car, or use / abuse it. If you can afford both, excellent!
Old 21st March 2008, 06:57
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

I had to get a replacement front clam shell after the accident. It is noticably thicker, heaver and stiffer than before.

Also Ian (merlinman) noticed the flex when lowering the clam to the body. Not very much compared to he's!

Hope that helps.
Old 21st March 2008, 13:27
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Smile

I too have been told tha tthe newer shells are thicker...whether the gel is thicker too at flashlines??

..in my experience the key was to be very very very careful and rub it all down by hand. I've got a couple of areas I'm not completely happy with but it looks pretty good.

Maybe I got lucky?

Rich

PS Anyone spotted spring or summer around recently.....I'm still waiting for last years!
Old 21st March 2008, 13:56
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Not rubbed down flash lines yet. Been too busy test driving and getting some miles.

Pah. Are you a man or a mouse. Nice wintery days blow out the cob webs for you and the car!
Old 21st March 2008, 15:19
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

My bodywork was collected around the time of Stoneleigh 2007, so I'm presuming my components are part of the newer crop.

Weather is fine down here today, yes it's windy, but the sun is shining. I've been using the car to run some erands, as it uses less fuel than my daily driver pottering around town.

Not that the weather matters much; my car was registered 13th Feb, and now has 1050 on the clock..... no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!

I really must give some time to sorting the car though, as on anything but mirror finish roads the back end bump steers like a [expletive of choice].
Old 21st March 2008, 23:33
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

I asked Terry about the body shell prior to going into the build,as havig read the forum it was one of my concerns. She explained to me that now they were aware of a few issues from a supplier that had previously been good they had stepped in to rectify things. My advice would be to give Terry a ring (rather than an email), as each bodykit is a one off and they dont store them they may well be very receptive to any special adaptations you want re thickness etc.

Cheers

David.