Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 24th March 2012, 09:28

The 1958 Rocker is on a distinguished road
Default Near by

Thanks Mr T, sorry about the spelling, must be my lap top or the fact I went to bed at 2.30 am and got up again at 6.45!!

Would like to meet up soon,
Old 24th March 2012, 09:32

Default Cable

Not yet, but was informed via reading someone elses thread!! Mention no names. Removed the two bolts by the diff, the rear most bolts (bolt on mine) the center seat belt eyes ( are these actually attached to the chassis, looks like just the floor pan. and the front floor pans to rear floor bolts. Surely I have missed something as people keep on mentioning six bolts. On that subject most of my body bolts were not very tight, and could not believe seven bolts and whole roof off!!
Old 24th March 2012, 09:33

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Need to edit the pic as the gull wings will only come down as far as the windows so the normal door bits remain when the roof is off
Old 24th March 2012, 09:43

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I didn't count the bolts that came out of mine but the ones you haven't mentioned yet are the two at the bottom of the boot floor, assuming your body still has a boot floor (mine didn't). The seat belt eyes are on brackets welded to the chassis (I've just cut those off), while the body on mine was also stuck down with a lot of bitumen. I eventually just gave it an almighty shove sideways to separate the body from the chassis, that's when I found out about the handbrake cable.

Best of luck getting it apart and, has anybody mentioned that most of us have got back much of what we paid for our donors by selling off the body panels while some have even turned a profit? My bonnet alone went for £311 on ebay.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:58

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

There are:
(Letters are reference to workshop manual. If you google images of herald or Vitesse chassis you should find one good enough)
4, 2 each side attaching to the side rail under the sill position (E & F on diagrams)
2, 1 each side either side of the diff (G on diagrams)
4, 2 each side at the rear of the boot into the boot extensions (H & J on diagrams)
2 seat belt mounting rings
The row of self tappers at the joint between the centre (bulkhead section) and rear tub
Handbrake rear cable needs to be either cut (as I did) or removed as the guides will prevent movement of the tub.
I also had a few random rivets around the door tread area.
Other than that, it's a lot of horrible sticky stuff
Old 24th March 2012, 11:45

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

The ones under the fuel tank are a bit fiddly sometimes and the ones I always forget are on the ends of the rear outrigger and halfway down the side rail ...they bolt upwards into the tub.

There really isn't much holding them on ....usually the sealer is what gets you....

As Towed said , don't forget the handbrake bolt....its a bit of a pig to get to underneath....we have cut a big square of floor out inside the car to seperate it before and dealt with undoing it afterwards....it bolts up into a captive nut under the rear seat base...
Old 24th March 2012, 14:03

Thumbs up Thanks

Guys, thanks to you all. Regarding the bolts going up into the tub, none there. Got the handbrake bit done a real doddle. I thought "what are these guys all on about?" Rest assured once I realised there were two bolts on each of the boot floor riggers (if the rigger was still there) the whole lot came of a piece of cake. Thought you guys were making a fuss, but accepted that I was actually very lucky OR SO I THOUGHT!!! It would have been probably the easiest tub removal on this site until I struggled and struggled, and then realised some clever devil had welded the tub to the side rails!!! Probably more secure than the factory arrangement. I have taken some photos, and will upload them shortly, just waiting for someone to do the "Sammio site sitting in my chassis photo".

Thanks again for your help and encouragement. I am sure some tubs come off easier than others and this was going so well it was destined in Sammio land to stall part way through. Still we just get on and do it!! Otherwise we would all save up and buy a boring one size fits all ready to serve read the million page manual type car, which is ok for some, but that is why Gary made the Sammio and its relations and more importantly why WE all want one!!

Thanks Guys

Photos soon
Old 24th March 2012, 17:54

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Hi Simon, welcome to the "not a" club, i look forward to seeing loads of pics of your build in case i can pick up on any ideas on how i can mod mine

Dave
Old 24th March 2012, 19:11

Default Rust

Thanks Dave, just come to a grinding halt with time n
and patience running out. See my rant on WorldClassAccidents bush thread. Need some more valium. No beer, don't drink very often so easy and very cheap for me to get hammered. What I wanted to say is will pop out for a take away and then post the photos. If you can get ideas or inspiration from a pile of rust..... Top Man!!!

Watch this space

Simon
Old 24th March 2012, 22:27

Default Photos at last!!

Here we are guys, the photos you were waiting for! Or not as the case may be. Once the body came off, I wondered wether I might need to look for a replacement chassis. But hey, thats why we all wanted a sammio, because we all think we can weld and spray as good as the best. Ok some of you guys are doing some excellent stuff out there, I feel a bit worried about how high the bar is. Never mind, thats where we all need to go, if not we would all be driving souped up Corsa's or Saxos.

Hope they load ok

Last edited by The 1958 Rocker; 16th April 2012 at 20:10..
Old 24th March 2012, 22:32

Default Couple more

Couple more just to keep you all amused. As you can see what looks like a genuine 49 thousand mile car has sat in a hedge for at least fourteen years. Shame, because the interior is really good. The dash padding isn't cracked or brittle and the seats are nearly perfect.

Last edited by The 1958 Rocker; 16th April 2012 at 20:10..
Old 25th March 2012, 07:44

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Well, it's a start Rocker! It'll certainly needs a bit of TLC but nothing that can't be sorted.....

I think you have almost given WCA a run for his money on getting the roughest donor award! You guys like a challenge! Nothing that can't be sorted - just WCA's blog for inspiration!

Good luck, you'll have it stripped and cleaned by the end of the week
Old 25th March 2012, 09:51

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

The purists can't get upset about you re-bodying that one !

A couple of days welding and some cheap parts from Rimmers and she'll be sorted.....

Welding up a Herald chassis is actually pretty straight forward , you just work your way through it and its no where near as bad as some....in my previous life as a Classic Car and Bike restorer/number plate seller and importer of Classic American cars , I have had some really horrible , upside down , cramped space , getting burned a lot welding jobs ....Heralds are positively luxurious after all those !
Old 25th March 2012, 09:57

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

a bit of t-cut and she'll be fine. I took mine from the original that was parked up in 1989 to what I have now in a few weekends of work. Still a way to go though.

Old 25th March 2012, 09:59

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

When I first took my tub off I thought I was in for an easy ride with the chassis. After some cleaning up however I ended up having to chop all the outriggers off and start again so there really isn't much difference between a mildly corroded set and a rust bucket. The work is the same if you have to change them. I didn't have a clue about how to tackle it but by taking a methodical view of it and making a rudimentary jig out of ply with pertinent key points marked on it the job came together ok.
It may be initially disheartening but the feeling when it all comes together is well worth the bother.
Old 25th March 2012, 10:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1958 Rocker View Post
If you can get ideas or inspiration from a pile of rust..... Top Man!!!
Simon, you sure can gain inspiration from watching a pile of rust transform into a beautiful Spyder in a Phoenix from the ashes stylee.

Some builders have been lucky (shrewd?) enough to buy donors that are rust free and ready for the road but all too often there are hidden horrors that would see a modern car heading for the nearest non-renewable valuable resources recovery facility (scrap yard).

I found that looking at how other people had fixed their piles of scrap gave me confidence to tackle my own sorry chassis.

Oh, and if you'd like to post pictures directly onto the thread try www.photobucket.com open an account (easy and free), follow the simple upload instructions then hover the cursor over the image you want to embed, click 'img code' at the bottom of the drop-down menu (the word 'copied' will briefly appear then fade away) then right click and 'paste' where you want the image. I hope that isn't too sucky-egg for you...

Anyway, don't be disheartened by finding so much rust under the surface - stick at it and before you know it you'll have it all sorted. Oh, and I'm sure someone posted a link to a Triumph spares chap in the Midlands who's retiring and selling off new-old-stock Herald chassis's for eighty quid!
Old 25th March 2012, 10:39

Default Support

Hi guys, thanks for your support (bit like saying to your wife you look lovely in that dress when you're thinking which way do I answer this one?) Ha ha ha. The chassis if F***** in a serious way, but after fitting a new fuel pump, cleaning the points and running from fresh fuel, it started second turn of the key and ran the best I can ever remember hearing a herald engine run!! Don't forget I used to work on these when they were no more then two or three years old. Regards the chassis, I did rebuild a series Landrover chassis, and have to say it isn't easy, but anything is possible if you "start at one end and work your way to the other." I can also say if you are lucky "like wot I am" and have a workshop that is about 15' x 28' then total strip down is the only way to go!! (bit dangerous when welding!! ha ha).
Did the Landy in no time, and was seriously pleased with the outcome. Once painted you then get inspired to carry on. The car came with two new outriggers, and I new the rest was poor, so from a chassis point of view not a brilliant choice of donor, but the engine more than makes up for it. I paid £145 for it, the engine oil was still clean and fresh, and it runs like new with no smoke even on first start in 14 years! I'm pleased and definately not dispondant.

Thanks Guys!!
Old 25th March 2012, 10:40

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1958 Rocker View Post
Here we are guys, the photos you were waiting for! Or not as the case may be. Once the body came off, I wondered wether I might need to look for a replacement chassis. But hey, thats why we all wanted a sammio, because we all think we can weld and spray as good as the best. Ok some of you guys are doing some excellent stuff out there, I feel a bit worried about how high the bar is. Never mind, thats where we all need to go, if not we would all be driving souped up Corsa's or Saxos.

Hope they load ok
Looks like a challenge, but i'm sure most of that wil polish out with a bit of elbow grease
Old 25th March 2012, 10:41

Default Chassis

Mr T, any ideas where that link might be found. If he still had one I would be there today. Don't mind the welding, but hey guys it would be a faster route to "my baby"
Old 25th March 2012, 10:47

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Try this.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...+triumph+parts