Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 10th March 2015, 19:34

reneanglia is on a distinguished road

Chris are those hinges fixed or adjustable?
About the frame for the sliding windows,is this welded into the doors or bolted?.........is there a mounting rail or something in the door opening for a rubber seal or do you have to figure something out yourself?
René
Old 10th March 2015, 19:40

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneanglia View Post
Chris are those hinges fixed or adjustable?
About the frame for the sliding windows,is this welded into the doors or bolted?.........is there a mounting rail or something in the door opening for a rubber seal or do you have to figure something out yourself?
René
The hinges have the same degree of adjustment as the standard MX5 units, i.e. the bolt holes are oversize to allow rise and fall, plus forward and back movement.

Finalised side window frames will be show in the next few days. They are bolted to the Z3 doors and will include double channel rubber seals, Land Rover latches and toughened glass.
Old 10th March 2015, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post

Masterful !!!
Thanks Ian, we try our best.
Old 10th March 2015, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
The hinges have the same degree of adjustment as the standard MX5 units, i.e. the bolt holes are oversize to allow rise and fall, plus forward and back movement.

Finalised side window frames will be show in the next few days. They are bolted to the Z3 doors and will include double channel rubber seals, Land Rover latches and toughened glass.
Thanks for the explanation Chris.
René
Old 12th March 2015, 20:10

Quote:
Finalised side window frames will be shown in the next few days. They are bolted to the Z3 doors and will include double channel rubber seals, Land Rover latches and toughened glass.

Old 12th March 2015, 20:34

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Nice. Very nice.
Old 12th March 2015, 21:57

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Whilst I would prefer the lazy boy option of windup windows, that is coming along nicely.
To state the bleeding obvious, and assuming it's the driver's side door shown in the photos, its worth pointing out that the forward glass should be fitted on the outside or we'll have wet arms even with a seal fitted.
Also, if both windows were about the same length rather than large and small as presently, then the maximum opening available will be larger when a window is opened. Or is the amount of window opening limited by the frame shape so it can only be small?
Good job though.

Last edited by y cymro; 12th March 2015 at 23:16..
Old 13th March 2015, 04:51

Chris-87 is on a distinguished road
Default Window

Is it possible to use the old Z3 Window? On the new bodywork? Or do you have to install the new frame with the sliding window?
Old 13th March 2015, 05:52

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-87 View Post
Is it possible to use the old Z3 Window? On the new bodywork? Or do you have to install the new frame with the sliding window?
I had asked Chris some time ago about using the original windows.
The roof shape is now all wrong and the only option would have been to use a BMW hardtop (or moulding of).
Then combine the window area and front of the hard top with a much modified 250 rear roof. All possible but probably a major compromise on the appearance of a 250 and a lot of work.
I decided the sliding windows would be fine.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 14th March 2015, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
Whilst I would prefer the lazy boy option of windup windows, that is coming along nicely.
To state the bleeding obvious, and assuming it's the driver's side door shown in the photos, its worth pointing out that the forward glass should be fitted on the outside or we'll have wet arms even with a seal fitted.
Also, if both windows were about the same length rather than large and small as presently, then the maximum opening available will be larger when a window is opened. Or is the amount of window opening limited by the frame shape so it can only be small?
Good job though.
Increasing the angle at the front edge of the rearmost window would allow it to open further.
Old 14th March 2015, 11:34

Looking at the layout of those side windows, I'd say that the rear section is fixed and only the front slides.

That would also explain why the front section is shorter - it can be opened further for being short at the top as the limiting factor is the radius at the back of the top rail (a SWB signature feature so essential imho) stopping it from sliding any further back than about 2/3 of total window length.

I appreciate that some people can't imagine living with a car that doesn't have all the convenience features that we've come to expect of a modern car, but in reality, the main reasons you need to open the side windows are for ventilation and to collect car park entry slips/pay motorway tolls.

I'm going to pick a donor with a/c to tackle the first bit and you have to get out of a RHD car to pay European road tolls if you're on your own anyway, so I don't see having to get out occasionally when entering car parks or at the Dartford tunnel as that much of a problem. The people you're holding up behind you can huff, puff and toot all they like, they'll just be jealous and at least they'll have a view of one of the best looking rear ends in the whole history of automotive design.
Old 14th March 2015, 13:10

How do you put those windows into the frame?
I see 2 half frames with the rubber and windows snapped together and when they are a complete frame with windows mounted into the door or what?
Is there also a kind of knob on one of the windows to make it open easy?
Old 14th March 2015, 15:33

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I don't see having to get out occasionally when entering car parks or at the Dartford tunnel as that much of a problem.
Err...you might find it a bit more of a problem that you think at the Dartford tunnel Towed! You can't pay at the barrier any more although they don't seem to have bothered to publicise the fact much outside the immediate area
See https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge for details.
Old 14th March 2015, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF355 View Post
Err...you might find it a bit more of a problem that you think at the Dartford tunnel Towed! You can't pay at the barrier any more although they don't seem to have bothered to publicise the fact much outside the immediate area
See https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge for details.
WTF! What the hell are you supposed to do if you don't know you can't pay at the gate/get lost/are a foreign visitor to this sceptered isle/etc., and show up at the crossing without pre-paying?

That's bloody stupid imho.

Okay, just read the link properly - you have until midnight the next day to pay the crossing fee. I guess they've taken down the barriers to ease the congestion and have ANPR cameras to record your registration as you cross. At least that means Polish truckers won't have to pay any more...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 14th March 2015 at 15:51.. Reason: add further info.
Old 14th March 2015, 17:02

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Okay, just read the link properly - you have until midnight the next day to pay the crossing fee. I guess they've taken down the barriers to ease the congestion and have ANPR cameras to record your registration as you cross. At least that means Polish truckers won't have to pay any more...
Have only been through once, on my way back from Lydden Hill race track, late one Sunday night after a brilliant weekend. I wasn't expecting the tunnel, I thought I was going clockwise, then up the M40... Hey ho!
Old 14th March 2015, 17:06

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

My Merc is left hand drive and I can live with that as a daily driver despite the car park swipe at the customer site I mostly visit

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 14th March 2015 at 18:36..
Old 14th March 2015, 18:33

Taking a closer look at Chris' photos I can see there are holes for a catch only in the front window so it's seems like only that one will open. A quick Google shows this is how they tended to be on racing Ferraris in period.
Good enough for Enzo, good enough for me.
Old 14th March 2015, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
Taking a closer look at Chris' photos I can see there are holes for a catch only in the front window so it's seems like only that one will open. A quick Google shows this is how they tended to be on racing Ferraris in period.
Good enough for Enzo, good enough for me.
Correct Steve. The picture is of a passenger side window and there will be a seal between the 2 sections of glass.

Reference your question about wheel size/offset I am starting a new tread on that subject and will add some definitive measurements next week when we have a kit properly fitted.

Last edited by Tribute Automotive; 14th March 2015 at 20:55..
Old 14th March 2015, 20:56

Inner front section panels prior to bonding:

Old 14th March 2015, 22:17

Quote:
Reference your question about wheel size/offset I am starting a new tread on that subject and will add some definitive measurements next week when we have a kit properly fitted.
Excellent, I look forward to that. I'll bring down a 9x17" et10 bad boy with me on the way to Goodwood next week with a dish big enough to serve a meal on.