Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 4th January 2017, 20:16

Drummajor is on a distinguished road
Default Insurance issues

Hi guys, I need help.
My 24 yr old son and myself are hoping to build a mx250c for him.
He has just had an insurance quote of £2100!!!! From Adrian Flux.
This is ridiculous!!
Anybody got any ideas?
Available from eBay
Old 4th January 2017, 20:41

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Try a company called 'Need to insure'
they are very good at non standard cars,
I pay £154 for build insurance agreed value of £30,000 on my RS2000 tarmac spec 2.0 turbo
and i also pay £230 fully comp on my mrs200 which i am currently putting a turbo on
hope this helps
regards
Lee
Old 4th January 2017, 21:39

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Flux are normally pretty good on pricing.
Old 4th January 2017, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmannnn View Post
Flux are normally pretty good on pricing.

They quoted him £2100 😔
Old 4th January 2017, 23:18

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Sounds a bit steep, how long has he been driving ? I would have thought with a few years "no claims" behind him the quotes would be far better.

Did you say he would build the car , is in the Tribute "club", limited mileage etc ? That would normally help.

Is it going to be his main car or a second car for occasional weekend use ? If its the latter it might be an option to register it in your name and ad him as a named driver but you will need to be straight with the insurer.
Old 5th January 2017, 06:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Drummayor - I'm with A Plan, but not sure what they are like for younger drivers.

A similar question was asked recently on Rods 'n' Sods, where a few suggestions were made.

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/cha...can-car-481257

Good luck, Paul.
Old 5th January 2017, 08:05

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

I'll stick with Classic Line, I've been with them for 20 years for all my hot rods and other strange stuff.
I'm sure I could find someone a bit cheaper if I tried but whatever issue or query I've had, they sort it without any argument or problem and I'm confident that if I do have an accident (fingers crossed, I won't), they'll deal with it without any grief.
Old 6th January 2017, 08:29

Redandy is on a distinguished road

try footman james. i regularly go through the merrygoround of insurance because i get a great deal for yr 1 and pants down yr 2. I swap between A-plan, Footman James and Flux, but I must admit more recently flux have tried to extract the urine too much and i havent been with them for 6 or 7 yrs. They asked £500 for my MRS200, when FJ wanted £175....
Old 6th January 2017, 09:21

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Agreed, Flux are taking the p*ss when it come to renewals.
Old 6th January 2017, 09:27

retro200 is on a distinguished road

i have been with adrian flux for years both for kit car insurance and my daily drivers currently mrs200 (04 mr2 1.8) £120 fully comp limited miles tornado raptor v8 £195 bearing in mind i am 53 only problem ive had was a few years back my d/driver renewal came thru and had nearly doubled, checked it online hey presto nearly same as previous year, rang them asked why the big increase i hadnt made a claim they looked into it ended up paying less than their original renewal !!! only thing to do is shop around its the old story young drivers are gonna get hit where it hurts till they have earned some ncb 22yr old lad that worked for me bought a new 1.2 corsa just to get first years insurance free and some ncb he still paid nearly 2 grand for the second year . ouch!!!
Old 6th January 2017, 10:08

Play one off against another. Try with three companies and go around in a circle a couple of times. Each time so and so will cover you for a few quid less and so on.
If you are a potential new customer you can get big discounts.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:59

yes, lucky , thats the way to do it, play one against the other mind numbing as it can be, its the only way to get a good deal i think some ins companies think of a number ,double it add in the date ,and your phone number , then see if you bite ,if you do then they are quids in. easy money !!!
Old 6th January 2017, 11:03

When I was in business it was most important to keep your customers. We felt it was easier and more satisfying in keeping old customers than trying to attract new customers, most new customers were directed to us by recommendation, something insurance companies/brokers should look into.

I was with Swift cover for a few years, every renewal the price got a few pounds cheaper and they were a lot cheaper than new quotes. I had to leave them as they wouldn't cover Cat C's & D's. They even had a web page where you could add another car for a day for £10, very useful and all done on line in a few minutes.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 6th January 2017 at 11:06..
Old 6th January 2017, 11:17

What makes this worse is that the boy works in insurance!
Old 6th January 2017, 11:24

It's worth playing around on the comparison websites to massage the quote and then phone around to some brokers. I have found EndsLiegh to be very good for my kids.

My son passed his test as soon as he was 17 and the best quote we could get was £2450 for a 1.2 Corsa. Adding myself or my wife made it even more expensive as we both had non fault claims. By adding Grannie (without her knowledge) to his policy brought it down to £1500. Just shows what a big difference a small change can make.
He is now 20 and his price is now £505, again with EndsLiegh insurance, but in an unmodified Corsa 1.2.
Old 6th January 2017, 12:25

after all its the "risk"element and "lack of driving experience" that ins companies are looking at in young drivers ,after all, if me/you started writing cars off on a weekly basis ,our ins companies ,would soon sit up, and think oh he,s costing us a bit, load our premiums or refuse to cover because of the "risk" factor what makes ins cheaper is your ncb and the only way to get a good ncb is with a few years claim free record, its only the ncb good driving record earned over the years and compulsory/voluntary exccess,s that keep your/my premiums down its like passing your test at say 50 years old then trying to get insured you would be treated as a teenager because of "lack of driving experience" and no ncb history, its your driving" history" over the years that counts and the only way to get that is by going out getting the experience to prove you arnt a risk the other problem is the roads now are so much busier than say 35yrs ago when i started driving so more traffic =more accidents whitch = more claims = higher premiums another thing to remember also is where you live your post code has a lot to do with it its always going to cost you more if you live in say central london or any big city than if you live on a remote scottish island or somewhere where car crime is high. my area was subject to a lot of car theft back in the late eighties and as a result ins premiums got higher . they take all this into consideration i know people who have used "a friends address" out in the sticks to insure /register cars/motorbikes because otherwise they couldnt afford the premiums because they where in a high risk area (a bit naughty in my opinion) but there you go.
Old 6th January 2017, 14:08

I started driving in 1982. I don't think I have ever paid more than £300 for car insurance , right from the word go. I insured all sorts from Fiesta's to V8 powered cars , Audi's , Lancia's , all sorts of kit cars with big engines.
I'm paying under £200 2.5 Audi A6 Fully Comp at the moment. Just been lucky I suppose as insurance has always been very affordable for me.
Old 6th January 2017, 15:13

another thing that made a lot of difference to my d/driver premium a few years back was when my then "other arf" that had worked in insurance changed jobs and lost her company car so i put her on my policy so she had some transport and down came the premium when i questioned why, she said its because your in a relationship and looked upon as being more responsible and less likley to drive like a t@at so your less of a risk, im still wondering what she ment by that !!!!