Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 28th April 2015, 11:10

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

WCA and Ed, thanks for the input, you are right Ed it was a live wire that had touched the earth wire. I will not happen when all the connections are in the right places, but they are all hanging together at present!

And you too WCA, you are right also, when I had the short, it burn out all of the earth wires in the loom under the dash, melting other wires as it did so. I intend to re-do the earth connections, and make it so it could not happen again.
Old 28th April 2015, 21:13

Another day on mainly the loom and wiring. The wipers used to work, but since the electrical short they don't.

In the end it was easier and quicker to cap off the cables that did not check out and just rewire it. The wipers work now, and so does the window wash jet. I have repaired more of the loom, and feel I am getting on top of it now.
Will do more like this tomorrow.

Oh, I almost forgot, I insured the (Spitfire) car today, and told them I intended to re-body it in the near future, and would let them know the details, they seemed happy enough with that info.
As soon as I get an Mot, and re-register it, I'll give them the good news.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 28th April 2015, 21:27

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post

The burnt out mess I'm looking at.........

[URL[/URL]
It looks a whole lot better now Scottie.
Old 29th April 2015, 07:28

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Hope you are able to get the rest of the wiring sorted out.

The windscreen surround looks great.

I know it took a ton of work to sort it out, but now it really looks the part.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 29th April 2015, 09:10

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Paperwork

Hi Scottie

Here
's a link to the thread I mentioned

Mick
Old 29th April 2015, 09:49

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Rat nest of wiring all clearly labelled - brings back memories
Old 30th April 2015, 10:53

No pics I'm afraid, I'm still working on the damaged wiring, and I got my concealed stereo unit up and running again, the whole lot is hidden under the dash, including the speakers, and all works from a micro remote.

I can do everything from the remote, and even play music from a phone, tablet or laptop if I wanted too.

I'll probably never ever turn the thing on, as the exhaust note sounds so satisfying, and that will be music to my ears!
Old 1st May 2015, 18:39

Default Friday

I have spent most of the day doing the electrics on the car.

Repairing the loom further, and wiring out all the switches on the dash and labeling them, so that when I finally come to connecting them all to the car,
it will be a straight forward job.

I have also been studying the Spitfire wiring diagram, and trying to figure out how I connect all the wires that went to the complicated switch-stalk arrangement on the steering column, to the simple 50's Jaguar switches that I intend to use.

I think I have it cracked, and have drawn several of my own wiring diagrams which will help me do it.

I also fitted the wiper-hiding bit of dash trim, and connected up the demist pipes to the heater.

Here are pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 1st May 2015, 20:49

24 hours and counting....
Old 4th May 2015, 19:03

Default Monday

Went to Stoneleigh yesterday, and enjoyed it.

Met up with Chris and Dan in the hall, also WCA, IanA, Mr Christmas, (Roger)

and several others.

Was impressed with Roger's A352, a very nice job.

Was not too impressed by the attendance figures at the show, and noticed that there were a lot less kit cars present than usual.

Also in one lane I noticed there are normally five to ten stalls selling things,
but yesterday there was only a single stall there.

I don't think the weather can be blamed, as in the past, I've been there when it rained all day, and the place was packed out with more kit cars than ever.

At the present rate of shrinkage, I even wondered whether there will be a "Stoneleigh 2016"

Mmmmm...........

Liked this car : ( but I would would'nt I?)

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 5th May 2015, 21:25

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...Was not too impressed by the attendance figures at the show, and noticed that there were a lot less kit cars present than usual.

Also in one lane I noticed there are normally five to ten stalls selling things,
but yesterday there was only a single stall there.
Yes, even the Stoneleigh Show is dwindling, presumably due to the cost of stands to those outside traders. Even the traders' hall was not full. I looked in the For Sale hall and saw about 5 cars- even last year there were about 20.

Quote:
I don't think the weather can be blamed, as in the past, I've been there when it rained all day, and the place was packed out with more kit cars than ever...
In terms of kit car owner attendees, I think the weather can be blamed. Yes there are a number of die-hard enthusiasts who'll attend (and usually stay overnight) regardless but in my experience over 10 years, the number of cars on the Westfield and Cobra club areas is inversely proportional to the forecast chance of rain. There were about double the numbers respectively on Monday compared to Sunday. Still not as many as you'd see on a really sunny day though.
Old 6th May 2015, 06:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I must admit I wouldn't have gone if rain had been forecast on Monday - I've driven my Spyder once in heavy rain on a dual carriageway and it was a genuinely scary experience.

My goggles steamed up, I couldn't see a thing and I couldn't even stop because it was the A11 Thetford towards Wymondham so there's no hard shoulder.

I just locked on to the lights on the back of a truck and kept a safe distance at about 40mph until I was able to turn off at a junction and find somewhere to stop. Not something I'd want to experience again.
Old 6th May 2015, 07:51

That sounds pretty damning Mr T!

I MUST get the front inner wheel arches sorted out on my car!

And also not delay the roof building once the car is "finished".

IanA,
not being present on Monday, it's nice to hear there were more cars there that day, so perhaps the weather was instrumental after all, and I agree about the "barometer" of Cobra's and Westfields, I've noticed that my self over the years!
Old 7th May 2015, 09:33

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That sounds pretty damning Mr T!
It was my own fault Scottie, I checked the weather forecast for my start and end points, but didn't check the weather in between.

I got caught in a tropical maelstrom of biblical proportions on the A11 and almost drowned on what ended up as the hottest day of the year last summer.

I also found cress growing in the carpet behind the passenger seat a few days later.

I've driven it in the more typical British summer drizzle and it's not such a problem. It stings your face a bit at speed but most of it gets whipped over the top by the flyscreen. You only get wet if you stop for prolonged periods at junctions or in traffic jams.

Best of luck getting your hood to fit and be watertight...
Old 7th May 2015, 21:08

Well I have spent most of the day just wiring up the stuff in the boot area, and the stuff at the front of the car.

Why so long?

Okay, 18 months ago, when I stripped the loom away from the lights etc, I marked every wire, using masking tape, and writing the text on in biro.

After 18 months, the glue on the masking tape had gone dry, some of the labels had just dropped off, and most of those that were still attached were un-readable, as the biro had faded out.
To make matters worse, as the car is 45 years old, all the wires had turned a nasty brown colour, and all looked the same!

I resorted to using paint thinners to clean off every wire, which was very time consuming, and eventually the wiring took on its multi-coloured new look. I could then identify, and connect everything up.

Then on to the front of the car, which was a bit easier, although some of the wiring had different colours than the book said they should!

After stripping the loom back a few connections, I found the colours I was looking for, and realised that somewhere in its life, the very front part of the loom had been re-wired in different colours.
Once I had this info, it was straight forward, and I made the connections, but as I said this little exercise took a whole bloody day.

I am moving forward to completion, but at times feel that the beast is fighting me all the way!

No pics I'm afraid, but if anyone knows of a better system of marking the loom for future jobs, please share your info with me!
Old 7th May 2015, 21:33

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... if anyone knows of a better system of marking the loom for future jobs, please share your info with me!
I use a Brother P-touch or Dymo Letra-Tag labeller printing black on white plastic tape. The labels come out large and readable and seem to be durable. Best to have some masking tape handy to trap the backing as you peel it off- otherwise static will make it hard to put down.
Old 8th May 2015, 07:04

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

Many different colour small cable ties yellow to yellow red to red etc and if complex I hung those plastic key tags with info on the tie, this worked for me as if I only take pics I would surely loose my phone or SD card . ed
Old 8th May 2015, 07:45

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Stick with white electricians tape, write on it with a pen then put clear cellotape over the top. Its never failed in the last 10 years ive worked as a spark. Remember to always put 2 labels on the same cable.
Old 8th May 2015, 11:07

IanA, BSM and Danny, thanks for the input, which sadly has come too late to help me this time!

Danny, your solution sounds like the cheapest workable one, and I will resort to that in the future, as I do not need to buy anything extra, 'cos I have all the ingredients already!
Old 8th May 2015, 12:39

Scottie - Do it now anyway. You will be really pleased in 2-3 years time when you decide to change / repair something. It will take a lot less time now.