Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 16th February 2018, 08:50

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road
Default Chrome paint -Anyone tried this stuff

I have watched a couple of videos and it seems easy to use and works on plastic or metal https://youtu.be/KBtdU10PIcE

Is it snake oil or is it the future?
Available from eBay
Old 16th February 2018, 09:02

And the very next clip I see for chrome paint is this one which gives more insight https://youtu.be/z8P_HuhLJYc
Old 16th February 2018, 14:09

molleur is on a distinguished road

Alsa chrome is expensive, difficult to apply and should be clear coated with a 2K after application.
Alsa does, however, make a great product called "Soft Touch" which is a coating for dashboards, etc. that gives a very nice leather type finish (but smooth). I've been working on some alternatives from Cerakote that my prove worthwhile.
More to come.
Old 11th March 2018, 10:20

nzidol is on a distinguished road
Default Liquid Chrome pens

Just found these at a local art shop https://www.gordonharris.co.nz/categ...chrome-markers result is a lot more shiny as the rattle cans. Marker is not easy to apply evenly on a large surface but will try the refill bottle with a brush or an airbrush.
Some more reviews here https://michtoy-from-the-front.blogs...onde-puts.html and here https://www.facebook.com/pg/taureanw...62630473821251
Old 11th March 2018, 10:57

Might be useful for 'chrome' wiper arms and similar highlights. I wonder how weather proof it is. A couple of the reviews say you can't touch it as fingerprints dull the finish and you can't lacquer over it without losing the chrome effect
Old 11th March 2018, 11:30

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Not so keen on the chrome wiper arms, I have them on the Jag and they look great but they are small and simple.
I have seen them on the Z3 and to be honest they just don't do it for me. They are much larger and once they have been chromed you just can't miss them and your eye is just drawn to them. With the standard black arms you just don't notice them. If you really want chrome wiper arms I would suggest fitting a set from an older car, It looked to me if the older Merc SL (70/80's) wiper arms might work and they are nice and simple but I haven't tried them.
Old 11th March 2018, 11:31

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I've tried some of the chrome look paints but they haven't worked for me. As soon as you touch the finished part they go dull. I've had more luck with chrome vinyl but only on relatively flat surfaces. I did my Triumph grill shown here but it was only good from a few feet away! If you looked closely it didn't look any good and you could see the joins. I ripped it all off to do it properly in the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3185.jpg (93.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 11th March 2018, 15:33

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

years ago (it must have been at Motorfair '84?) I saw a 'chroming fluid' for use on brass or copper IIRC (but they may have said steel.) Anyway, the guy demonstrated it and it looked perfect. I passed him a 2P coin, and he treated 1/2 of one side. I kept this 2P rattling around in my loose change for months, and alas I must have inadvertently spent it one day
In all the time I had it the chrome finish looked perfect - I wonder if anyone still sells it?
Old 4th May 2018, 14:15

Have some chrome paint on the way. Looks pretty good. Testing in a week or two. Three stage (long) process needed. Expensive, but hopefully durable.
Will post results and photos in a week or two.
Old 4th June 2018, 15:50

chrome 002.jpglooks great. Sorry for the quick poor quality pic.
IMO, very viable system. Looks like polished aluminum. This is without the clear coat.
Looks much better than photo.
http://www.motostorm.com/Motochrome-chrome-paint.html
Old 4th June 2018, 16:34

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

looks good. From reports I've seen (may or may not be accurate!) the clear coat destroys the finish (but that doesn't sound logical). All reports are consistent in saying that whatever you do, don't touch the silver with bare hands prior to the clearcoat. It will be interesting to see your verdict when it's finished.
Old 4th June 2018, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
looks good. From reports I've seen (may or may not be accurate!) the clear coat destroys the finish (but that doesn't sound logical). All reports are consistent in saying that whatever you do, don't touch the silver with bare hands prior to the clearcoat. It will be interesting to see your verdict when it's finished.
The supplier has a "special" clear cote that must be used. It's the tedious process of application that takes the time. The "chrome paint" goes over a very well prepared (1000 grit) panel after using any single stage gloss black base coat that must dry for a week before applying the chrome with an airbrush or touch-up gun by carefully "fogging" it on at low pressure in several coats in fifteen minute stages, after gently wiping with a new microfiber between coats. Clear coat is applied 24 hours after the final chrome coat.

The length of time to do this is the only downside. I'll use it on my 250 SWB grille surround after careful fitting. My kit has landed in the USA last night, but it may be several days before I can get my hands on it. Transport from US Customs will take a few days.

Bottom line is that it is a very viable solution for chrome effect substrates.