Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 30th December 2013, 20:04

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Paul, no probs, unfortunately i wont have any pics of the layup process as Sean will do it for me whilst im away, basically its just a case of laying gel coat then fibreglass, once it goes off then peel the Ali away, sometimes a bit of heat on the back of the Ali makes life easier as it melts the wax a little but you then have to be rigerous in cleaning any way left on the fibreglass before painting etc.

Hope everyone has a good new year, ill be thinking of you as we jet off into the njight to warmer climes!

TTFN

Mac
Old 8th February 2014, 18:05

Well I'm back, happy in one way as I get to get my hands covered in someone other than sand or tanning lotion...ie car grime! And royally ticked off that the bloody weather in this country is so god awful.
So today we decided to try and get thie steering sorted and on the whole were successfull.

Basically another cross tube parallel with the front frame tube a brace front to rear on the top and two front to rear at an angle on the bottom. We bent a piece of 5mm plate buy cutting halve way through so we could bend it then welded the cut closed when the angle was correct.
Viewed from the front of the car, drivers side

Viewed from underneat

All painted up

The final angle from end of the column to the rack

Also replaced the fuel hose between the tank and the pump as the piece that was on there was too short really.

I have a bit of time before I'm fully back to work so hopefully will be making more progress next week. Going to try to get the last bits of the steering sorted, need to replace the box section currently joining the 2 splined ends with some bar stock and get a rose joint mount machined up to support it. Also hoping to get my fibreglass seat slit and widened, filled and painted ready to take a mould off it.
I was hoping that Sean next door would have done the cockpit returns for my whilst I was away but a key snafu put paid to that so will hopefully do that myself this week as well with the aim being to get the body mounted next weekend .

TTFN

Mac
Old 9th February 2014, 15:32

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Welcome back Mac.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 12th February 2014, 12:12

Cheers Paul, its nice to be back in the workshop but bloody horrible for the workshop not to be in Sri Lanka!

Bit of a flying visit to the workshop today decided to get the seats sorted. I bought this mini bucket seat shell off Ebay for not a lot, the arse portion is fine but the back is just to narrow for any normal shaped person..... so I marked out where I thought it needed cutting and set to with a grinder.

I have stretched the width of the back approx. 4 inches which will hopefully be plenty. I fixed its position using some 1mm ply but before screwing it in place covered it with packing tape so the fibreglass doesn't stick to it. I have just laid up some fibreglass that hopefully will go off in the next hour so may be updating this after I have some lunch with more pics

TTFN

Mac

Last edited by Viatron; 12th February 2014 at 12:16..
Old 12th February 2014, 13:58

Got the seat glassed up but will have to leave it till Saturday as its so bloody cold its taking forever to kick.

I haven't fully glassed it as I want to try it first just in case I need to slit it and stretch it a bit more.
Till Saturday
TTFN

Mac
Old 15th February 2014, 17:22

Well today started out badly but ended ok. On arrival at the workshop there was no power to any of the sockets and e breaker wouldn't reset. I tried unplugging everything fom the sockets but still no joy, unfortunately we share our main ring with the unit next door and he wasn't in so we were unable to check if he had anything still plugged in...drat!

A bit of a lurk around though revealed that that part of our ring dissapeared into a derelict building next door to serve a single socket, as soon as I started loosening the face plate to have a look water started pouring out...bingo! Anyway we pulled the cable back through the wall and chopped it back and put another double socket on our side of the wall that we had lying around so a double win! Electrics fixed and another double socket in the workshop, you can't have too many sockets in the workshop!

Anyway that wasted pretty much half of the day but we did make some progress. Decided where to mount the fuse box and relay holder of the loom I bought from Langys Rod Shop,

If you can't picture it it's suspended upside down underneath the dash on the passenger side.

Ran the cable down the outside of the frame from front to rear using rivet on cable saddles every 6 inches or so.
[IMG]Jhttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TFQoXB4rboc/Uv-quFwNs_I/AAAAAAAAF-k/8oAeIF8gBF4/s640/2014_%2525202_15_17_57.jpg[/IMG]

The cabling is cable tied in temporarily at the moment as I need to add a fuel pump feed to the rear and didn't have any cable heavy enough but it will not take long. The loom is very long so once in place I cut off the approx 4 foot of excess at the back leaving at least a foot longer than I think I will need. The front is even longer! I reckon it would stretch at least 4 foot beyond the headlamps if I wanted it too.

We also got the pedal box finally mounted in place, little bit of compromise required, it's about 3/4" further back than I would have liked but the external master cylinders were too close the the tyre for my liking, will still have to fit rack limiters to take about 1" out of the turning radius of the front wheels but I don't see that as a major issue.

We also finished running the fuel line front to rear and installed earths for the rear lights and actually terminated the wiring at the fuel gauge sensor.

No updates until next weekend unfortunately as I have a work project starting on Monday but will be back at it next Saturday.

On a slightly sad note I have decided that once finished she will be up for sale. Whilst away on holiday we purchased our retirement home, wasn't expecting to do it until next year but the right property came up at the right price. We want to replace the roof and needs must so I have agreed with SWMBO that my toy count will be decreased to pay for it and her sacrifice is that she will not be keeping the Navigator :-(
Related to this is the decision on whether or not to proceed with making and fitting doors, I want this to be finished to a high standard and if I was keeping it would definately fit doors but now it's more of a commercial decision I am not totally convinced that adding doors will add enough additional value considering the time and effort involved, anyone care to comment? What do you guys think?

So in short if anyone wants a fully built navigator let me know, it's not in paint yet so could be painted any colour you want! I will be romping ahead to try and get it finished in the next 2 or 3 months so it should be ready for the summer

TTFN

Mac

Last edited by Viatron; 15th February 2014 at 17:26..
Old 15th February 2014, 17:45

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Shame you have to sell Mac

imho don't bother with doors, they won't add value and don't make it any easier to get in or out.

Good luck getting it finished.
Old 15th February 2014, 18:42

christinedmc is on a distinguished road

Hello Mac,

Sorry to hear you have to let the car go. It's becomming so beautiful. It is going to get a happy buyer, that is for sure.

You ask if doors are worth the trouble. Difficult to say. They add a tremendous value. The car looks better, more professional and getting in and out is much easier. On the other hand, it's a really substantial job. You have to forget concealed hinges. Incredible amount of labour. Hinges on the outside are much easier and have allmost the same result. You have to strengthen the inside of the door panel in some way. If the plan is to take a large piece of plywood (or something else) and bond it in as a whole, then the doors will ask for lots of changes to that approach and add a lot of building time. But if you are planning another construction that could accept doors more easily, then the doors could be a good choice.
Are you selling the car in paint (then it is your call all the way) or are you selling without paint. In that case the new owner can make his own decission.

Regards,

Michiel

Last edited by christinedmc; 15th February 2014 at 21:08..
Old 15th February 2014, 19:02

Mr T thanks for your thoughts, have too say this my thinking at the moment.

Michiel, I already have a plan for the doors that involves using the existing shell with aluminium shuts and a bonded in steel frame for the locks and hinges. It's not that it's a majorly difficult job, most jobs are easy if broken down into small manageable parts. The problem is the time involved and just the extra cost of fabricating the door shuts in Ali which I'm happy to have a go at but suspect will end up needing help from my tame fabricator mate who although may well do mates rates wont be free, it's really a cost benefit exercise.

I will get the body to the final primer stage then probably advertise with a paint job to the buyers liking included.

TTFN

Mac
Old 15th February 2014, 20:30

PJ GRABOWSKI is on a distinguished road

Do you have an asking price?
Old 15th February 2014, 21:28

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mac - First of all, congratulations on buying your retirement home.

I think the "no doors" option falls under the KISS approach, so it makes a lot of sense.

Having said that, even though I had abandoned my own doors, I was looking forward to seeing how you were going to do it.

Good luck either way, Paul.

PS
Wiring is looking good.
Old 16th February 2014, 16:56

garyh is on a distinguished road

No roof, don't need doors. Unless your a svelt 8 stoner... i don't think there is an elegant way of getting in?
Old 16th February 2014, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
No roof, don't need doors. Unless your a svelt 8 stoner... i don't think there is an elegant way of getting in?
You just step in over the side and slide your legs under the steering wheel, it takes seconds and looks cool.

These cars are so low that if you have doors you'll just end up crawling out onto the pavement on your hands and knees in amongst the fag packets and dog turds. Much better to do the Le Mans thing and preserve your dignity.
Old 16th February 2014, 18:58
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

My experience with kit car doors is based on my efforts on the G-46
Enough said and never again
Old 17th February 2014, 11:18

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

The only doors I'd be thinking of whilst driving one of our cars is the front door to a Real Ale Pub ;-)

I agree, they make entry and egress more difficult and lessens the strength of the side where you would naturally want to support yourself getting in and out.
Old 17th February 2014, 17:26

Well that's it then decision made! No Doors.
Old 19th February 2014, 06:44

christinedmc is on a distinguished road

Well it makes you wonder why cars (including 50's racers) have doors and people tend to use them as well, since not having them is far more ideal. Except the dukes of Hazard offcourse, they too hate doors.

No, sorry, I'm just kidding. I agree on what you are saying and Mac is right not starting this endeavor.

Michiel
Old 19th February 2014, 08:15

Take a look at the picture below, which is a good example of why doors are redundant on one of these cars -

My whole car isn't even as high as the window line on that Corsa, and a door wouldn't have been of any use whatsoever in getting in or out of the car in that space, it was far simpler just to step over the side.

Don't get me wrong, when I went to look at the Sammio demonstrator and talk to Gary J about my order I wanted him to add doors to the package, mainly because I had it in my head that cars should have doors.

Thankfully he talked me out of it by inviting me to climb aboard '66 and asking me if I thought doors would make it any easier to get in and out? I had to agree that they would be pretty useless.

If you already have doors as part of your package I'd consider fitting them as dummies - leave a gap around them but seal them in behind so they don't actually function. Best of both worlds?
Old 19th February 2014, 08:29

No doors in my package T I was going to take moulds of mine once they were done but someone else can have that pleasure now!
TTFN
Mac
Old 23rd February 2014, 13:17

Default Update 1 for Saturday 22nd Feb

Good day today.
Sean the fibreglasser from next door managed to find time to slap some gel and fibreglass into the formers I fitted to the car to remake the cockpit side returns:

So I set about removing the Ali formers I had made, the 4 layers of release was did their job as once I had drilled out the rivets they just peeled off.

As you can see in the pics there was some flow through of the gel coat In places where the former didn't seal against the body but no great shakes.

20 minutes with the angry grinder had the returns trimmed and the overflowed gel coat removed.

As can be seen in the pics there were a couple of voided areas but have already ground them back and will make good with bridging filler.

The voids look worse than they actually are and wont be in issue.

You can just about make out the extent of the voids in the pic above, its the whitish areas in the blue gel coat, not very big at all.

Another update coming in a bit.
TTFN

Mac