Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 12th June 2012, 23:17

nickt241 is on a distinguished road
Default dvla/registration,help and advice please

firstly,hi,im new here so youll have to excuse if i post incorrectly...

i need a bit of advice and thought you guys would be the ones to know

i have a one-off "kit" car that was built in the late 80s,when i say kit,its basically a fiat x19 that was widened and lengthened,it then lost its whole body,a space frame was mounted,and a genuine ferrari 308 body was mounted on to this,so to look at its a ferrari 308 gts with barely nothing to give the real identity away....ive been restoring the car for the last year after it was parked up for near 10 years after developing a fault that the then owner didnt have the knowledge or funds to sort...im now nearing the end and expect it on the road within 2 months.
my question is regarding its registration,you see the log book still says fiat x19,i have all the old mots,some of which state it as a fiat x19 kit car,but nevertheless,the logbook says fiat x19 only
ive been reading the dvla website and as far as i can tell my car is classed as a "modified car" rather than a kit car,as it fits all this criteria.
but legally,can anyone advise where i stand please,the one thing i dont want is to get the car on the road,for it to then be impounded by the police!,haha
Available from eBay
Old 12th June 2012, 23:24

heres a few pics if your interested,sorry but i dont have any pics showing the whole car as theyre on my phone,but i think youll get the idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear1.jpg (65.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg rear2.jpg (47.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg sp3.jpg (78.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 13th June 2012, 16:32
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I guess technically it will have to go through an IVA test as the original Fiat chassis was altered.

This is just my opinion though, not gospel.

John
Old 13th June 2012, 17:41

yes,but they lengthened it by extending the chassis at the ends,and they widened it by changing the lines of the sills,so basically,the original floorpan and chassis remains correct,albeit the fact that ive just replaced it all with galvanised panels that is!
Old 13th June 2012, 17:44

is there not a cut off point where cars built previous to a certain date are not eligable to the newer rules?,bearing in mind that i have files of paperwork including magazine articles and mots that state the car as either a ferrari 308 or as a kit car,so the fact that its already spent many years on the roads cannot be disputed
Old 13th June 2012, 23:09

seanick is on a distinguished road

I think your most valuable documents to prove it was all done pre iva is those MOTS that have fiat kit written on them. Its up to you to prove it was all done years ago. Old pics, letter from previous owner etc. Others may say as long as it insured as what it is now, stick an x19 badge on the back and use it ;-)