Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 18th February 2005, 23:34
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN
. . . . I would also appreciate it if some of you could offer some advise on getting a donor sorted.
Have checked out as many breakers online as possible, emailed them (weekly)scanned Ebay and Autotrader but all in vein.
I'm kinda getting the idea that I am approaching this entirely the wrong way. Any ideas?

Mike
Buy a Land Rover, find a nice 218vvc and rear end it. Then buy it off their insurance company!

Sorry, bad joke, I know.

There are a couple of Rover breakers that advertise in Kit Car. I had a quote fromone of them before I gotmy donor. £1000 for a 4k mile 1.8vvc from a BRM and the rest of the donor parts as listed by Marlin for £300.

Good luck.
Old 19th February 2005, 02:26

5exi1stTimer is on a distinguished road

Mike,

this may be of some help... I have met a guy that has sourced my (very low mileage) T16 engine and ALL donor parts for a very reasonable price.
He's VERY knowlegable, knows his noodles and a very friendly guy. I'm sure he wont mind me putting you in touch with him... but ... Prob is, I dont wanna give out his details without his permission and cos i'm NEW to this forum / email / web'chat stuff, dont know how i can get it to you without the world knowing!!!!!!!??????

Wats this "pm" business?! SOMEONE EXPLAIN (i admit it.... I is a Virgin internet user!!)

andy
Old 19th February 2005, 02:32

Hi tomboysexi (wats ya name mr TomBoy?!?!?)

Sorry to here abot the delay in the build, hope ya running on all 4 cylinders soon sir!!

Would LOVE to recieve clip of ya first ignition start up but dont know what "PM" means... DOH!!!!! Please explain so i can share the excitement very soon....

andy
Old 19th February 2005, 12:02
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5exi1stTimer

Wats this "pm" business?! SOMEONE EXPLAIN (i admit it.... I is a Virgin internet user!!)

andy
Andy

'PM' means private message. It means you can send someone a message off forum, without having to for example show everyone your email address.
BTW (by the way) it really is not a good idea to show your email address on a forum as it is a good way of getting rubbish emails.
All you need to do is hit the 'pm' button under the post of the person you want to contact.
What will happen then is the next time they log on, they will get a message saying they have a message.

Mark
Old 19th February 2005, 14:26

Mark, Thanks, I'll get the hang of it eventually.... !
Old 20th February 2005, 07:48
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default Hi Andy

I see my friend Mark has straightened you out about the pm.

My name is trev (Trevor) the name tomboys is a combination of Tom (the wife's pet name for me) and Boysie (My sons nickname).

He and I are jointly involved in the build, thing is I just seem to be the only supplier of money! Specially when the steering wheel sets you back £230.00 (Carbon fibre) Gear Knob £85.00, no I am not made of it we just know what we like.

We shared a 'race day' down at Brands Hatch, out of 20 taking part, he came 2nd and I was 3rd less than half a second behind. That was when we decided to buy something a little special.

After much searching and arguing of the merits of different cars the 5EXi was the only car we really agreed on.

We are at the stage of completing the wiring and should be putting the body in over the next 3 to 5 weeks, just in time for the spring. Thing is as soon as anybody finds out which engine we are using they say we will not be able to handle it, no, it'll sure be fun finding out.

Just a point of interest I have already spoken to the local Police as they have promised to 'pull' me on a regular basis, just to look the car over. Better than that a couple of Officers from another force some 6 mile away have said the same and my car is not on the road yet!

Exciting times to come.

Regards to all builders Trev
Old 20th February 2005, 15:53

Tim is on a distinguished road
Default Location

I am in west London (Ealing). I picked up my kit a year a go but have been going slowly (more my fault than Marlin's). Happy to meet up and or show potential builders the half built stage!
Old 20th February 2005, 18:48

Trev, Did you receive my PM? Did i get it right

Looking forward to receiving vid clip!

Also - you say people dont think you'll handle the power when you say what engine you're having?! Wat you putting in... 2lt T? Or is is something a little more psychotic...
Old 20th February 2005, 21:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5exi1stTimer
Trev, Did you receive my PM? Did i get it right

Looking forward to receiving vid clip!

Also - you say people dont think you'll handle the power when you say what engine you're having?! Wat you putting in... 2lt T? Or is is something a little more psychotic...
I think the point Trev is trying tomake is that the turbo engine will give you around 400bhp / tonne - around 4x the average 150bhp Gti.

I admit I was one of the doubters, especially regarding his son driving such a car.

However knowing Trev's son is not a track novice and has handled powerful cars does make a lot of difference.
Old 20th February 2005, 21:48

thanks for making the point "clear" Mark - I'm just very interested in exactly which 5exi Trevor (and all others) is going for thats all! Being a 1st time builder and having a MAJOR passion for racing myself, I'm just a nosey kinda guy, interested in what other builders are planning with their Marlins, maybe i should stop asking so many questions before i have even begun the build myself! Its been a LONG 18 months since the test drive in sunny Devon and i just cant seem to contain my excitement, just want to get going.....
Old 21st February 2005, 18:17
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Im in the middle of Hampshire, currently researching - probably be building a Marlin Sportster at some point in the near future
Old 25th February 2005, 19:18
Kit Car Dreamer

johnd is on a distinguished road

I live in Dunfermline in Scotland
Old 7th October 2008, 11:31
Kit Car Dreamer

Mr|Spike is on a distinguished road

Torquay, South Devon (Bout 35 miles from Marlin)

Anyone on here use Facebook?
Old 7th October 2008, 19:05
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Spike.

This might help you out.

I created a little google map with everybody.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...73,19.6875&z=6
Old 7th October 2008, 19:31
Kit Car Dreamer

Mr|Spike is on a distinguished road

Very nice! I'll PM you my postcode so I can be added to the map