Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Old No.7 Builds

Old No.7 Builds 275 kits from Dan

Old 5th October 2017, 07:18

Welshkiwi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Exciting times, so good luck. I know, the waiting is frustrating, but buying the accessories is at least progress. Chris will start on my project in January. I hope to secure a Z3 shortly, and if so, I will commence on seat changes and probably the dash whilst it is still a soft top, as access will be so much easier. Also, the parcel shelf, as one of the treads mentioned that it is really difficult to treat it once in due to tight access.
Good ideas Barber. I am keeping my interior stock at present as it looks pretty vintage already with the dark tones in there. Definitely will be spending some good time on the shelf area myself. Going to be a dark leather trim to match the rest of the car with either some classic style netting to secure loose items or maybe some straps/buckles etc. just have to wait and see once the roof is out. Headlining will be cream colour, have seen a superb original 275 in gunmetal grey, black leather and cream headlining which ticks all my boxes! What kit you starting? I have seen the Z3gato thread but can't work out what kit bits from Chris you will be basing it on as a starter! Cheers Mark

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 5th October 2017 at 07:25..
Old 5th October 2017, 08:08

Barber is on a distinguished road

I am having a new Z3gato kit built - see my thread on Tribute builds, which cobbles together bits from existing models and will make them look like a combination of the various Zagato models designed late 50s to early 60s. I specified stock windows, which is probably where Chris is leveraging the work for yours (if you are still going that route).
Old 5th October 2017, 08:46

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Mini door handles are used on the 250 swb.
They are very simple to fit and work well. Small things like door handles can cause a lot of extra work and if they don't work properly will cause you a lot of grief.

Barber, when you say Z3gato, is it the silver Aston style or one of the red cars?
Old 5th October 2017, 09:57

Given where we are starting from, it will be less like the red cars, and more like the Maserati, Ferrari and AM etc, using styling cues from them all. I am depending on Chris and Dan's skill to make sure it doesn't turn out like a lemon.

Whereas lancelot link's cars take there cues from a variety of 50's racers, mine takes its cues from turn of the decade racing coupes.
Old 6th October 2017, 00:25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Mini door handles are used on the 250 swb.
They are very simple to fit and work well. Small things like door handles can cause a lot of extra work and if they don't work properly will cause you a lot of grief.
Thanks Jag. If you have any photos or setup info on how you did your mini handles it would be appreciated. Certainly looking at that kind of look. I am fitting the hardware high up on the door line like the original.
Cheers Mark.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:48

Talking Here's the plan guys

Spoke with Chris yesterday, here's the rundown on the kit plan.

- 275GTB coupe, with standard Z3 windows in the design, looking at options for the visual lines to be similar to the original coupe window recess.
- Slate grey/Graphite grey RAL colour
- Standard interior black leather (wooden racing wheel) with some "trimmings" for the rear shelf and headlining cream colour.
- Aston style fuel filler on the rear quarter top surface
- Fibre-glass bumpers - will be chrome wrapped to complete.
- Ferrari original style lights.
- Stainless sill stripe on the sides.
Production looking around Christmas time.

Here's what I am basing our hard work for the end result to get to! Can't wait to get going.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (20.8 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (20.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 17th October 2017, 04:11
Kit Car Dreamer

NZ Steve is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi if your car was 1st registered in NZ before the 31st March 1999 and NZ new u don't have to worry about the frontal impact area and the front bumper can be removed Steve
Old 17th October 2017, 04:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Steve View Post
Hi if your car was 1st registered in NZ before the 31st March 1999 and NZ new u don't have to worry about the frontal impact area and the front bumper can be removed Steve
Hi Steve, no on both accounts unfortunately. When I was talking to the LVTA guys after seeing the photos of a "before and after" job for the 250 SWB they weren't sure that even the frontal impact regs would save it as some thoughts were heading towards structural rigidity between the two absorbers points/chassis rails. I wasn't going to get involved in all that which was why I went for the 275GTB. Now I am really glad anyway because I have fallen in lust with the body shape and the rarity of the car! Can't wait for the panels to arrive....
Old 17th October 2017, 05:57

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oJmfJl8W5YcEYz4J3

Trying out my image options before I start. Hopefully here's the starting point!

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 29th October 2017 at 07:45..
Old 17th October 2017, 06:23

Paul L is on a distinguished road

WelshKiwi – Sorry, I missed your grey colour choice.

I am sure that will make the car look more original that painting it red.

Did you see this build with a similar(ish) colour?

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=6186

And finally, good to see your donor car too.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 17th October 2017, 06:34

Cheers Paul, coming together nicely. Just not sure I can wait until Feb for the panels to arrive though! That car is nice, I am looking at that colour or just a touch lighter. Looking at the NZ sky as we speak I think I can see the exact colour!
Old 21st October 2017, 05:18

nzidol is on a distinguished road
Default Another Kiwi...

Hi Mark,

Good to see another Tribute kit coming this way. I have the exact same Z3, although a 98 model so I can remove the front bumper.
Note that the rule is build before 1 march 1999 and imported before 1 april 2002, so does not have to be NZ new... Mine was imported in 2001 from South-Africa and like yours in perfect condition.

The remark on structural integrity seems a bit strange given that the bar is mounted on shock absorbers and a rotating pin there would not be much intended structural integrity there. I am ordering a 250 California so should not need any certification just a normal wof....

In discussing the 250 Coupe with the LVVTA here in Wellington they did point to https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/s...ior_Impact.pdf section 2.4.9

Code:
all sections of a roll-bar or a roll-cage positioned adjacent to any A-Zone
must be covered in a high density energy absorbing material which:
(i) meets SFI specification 45.1 or another equivalent motor-sporting
specification; and
(ii) is not less than 15 mm in thickness in the area facing the occupant
cell.
A-Zone is 160mm either side of the center line of the seat and should be completely clear..

With a cabrio you can have unprotected steel bars next to your head but with a fixed roof you can't. SFI 45.1 is a motor-racing spec and only makes sense when you are wearing a helmet. Clearly the rule targets certification of Targa car's but you probably need to be aware of it and also see if they don't object to the construction of the roof support (if you call it a roll cage they certainly will have lots of requirements).
Adding rubber will reduce the head space further.... and yes I did sit in a 250 Coupe when I was in Europe and, with standard seats and being 6.6", it is cramped, another car with bucket seats was more like a standard z3. Just need to find a smaller steering wheel....

It looks like http://www.retroclassiccarparts.com has very reasonable shipping cost and they don't charge VAT on export, so looking forward to receiving the headlamp rings. Most Mini parts are readily available in NZ but rear window could be a problem...

Looking forward to the day we can have both cars in a picture.....

Cheers,

Ido
Old 21st October 2017, 19:49

Smile Great to see another kiwi on the tribute trail!

Hi Idol,

Cheers for all the info, I am going to have to look into the rollcage/roof protection piece a little bit more as when talking with the LVTA it wasn't something they saw as a highlight when discussed.

I may have to be careful with that one.

With the frontal impact regs etc for the 250SWB, I am certainly not suggesting that it can't be done, because I know that time of entry/build reg is a factor. It just wasn't an option with the donor's that I could find that were in good enough nick. The only piece of info that also was key for me was that after the guys in Wellington discussed the issue at length with some photos of examples from me of previous builds, they commented in my donor case some kind of structure would need to remain between the two absorber points if removed. It was discussed briefly that may be the case with any example (whether it met import timing dates for the frontal regs or not), however as I believed in my case I couldn't fit any structure in there with the proximity of the front clam edge to the radiator, it was a no go for me and I picked the 275GTB kit which kept the front bar anyway. All I would recommend is that you can get surety from the LVVTA on that front bar if you haven't already got it. Expensive if we get it wrong!

Keep in touch, feel free to PM if you want, look forward to the day we may be able to get two cars together in NZ for pictures etc! As you know I am in Auckland. Cheers for all the good tips, Mark.
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:40

nzidol is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark,

Planning to stay within the threshold regulations https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/s..._Threshold.pdf such that there is no lvvta involvement. Alas that also includes not moving the petrol cap....

The only reference I can find to chassis rails is in https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/s...tal_Impact.pdf section 2.2.2.b

Code:
any chassis rail or sub-frame rail bridging components provided by the
vehicle manufacturer (such as structural tie-bars behind the front
bumper) are not removed or significantly modified.
Which is a recent change, so certifiers will still be building experience around that, but as far as I can see does not apply to the Z3 bumper.

Cheers,

Ido
Old 26th October 2017, 05:46

Default Shiny bits have arrived!

Thanks to casamolino and jagtvr for the great tips.
Small steps for the car but you can only eat an elephant 1 chunk at a time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171026_155749.jpg (88.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:44

Hey all, hoping for some exciting updates soon for you all. Spoke at length with Chris last night and won’t give too much detail as concepts are fine, don’t want to place any pressure on top of him with what can be done.
However we are on the same page with our thoughts and visual touches for how the car will look. A lot of agreement in how it will look.
We are hoping soon for some pictures to share, rear panels are being trialled this week and work on the form of the windows going on with the new mule that Chris has.
Some locked in details tho are:
Original z3 windows being used.
Monza type fuel filler on top of rh rear quarter panel.
RAL 7015 slate grey gelcoat colour.
Looking possible the kit will be completed production by Xmas as planned. I cannot wait to get started, the wait will be unbearable. (Better dedicate my time on the donor to keep my fingers in activity!) Update you soon......
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:07

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

If you can't wait you can always prepare the lights and indicators.
I thought they would be a quick part of the build but was very wrong.
Are you allowed to cut any of the bodyshell away in NZ? If so you can remove the rear panel in the boot and flip the crash bar upside down so you get one large boot rather than 2 smaller compartments.
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:17

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
If you can't wait you can always prepare the lights and indicators.
I thought they would be a quick part of the build but was very wrong.
Are you allowed to cut any of the bodyshell away in NZ? If so you can remove the rear panel in the boot and flip the crash bar upside down so you get one large boot rather than 2 smaller compartments.
Hi Jag,

The donor has to stay on the road for the summer down under really, so I will be limited to “normal bits” such as discs/pads and some sealing work/ tidying the interior as required. I am sure cutting the back panel out will go against the regs in nz. I am getting by with pretty minimal LVV certification due only panel swapping etc. Will look into it though when the panels arrive in case doable. Good thoughts.
Old 9th November 2017, 08:02

Cool The magic has begun!

Hi all,

The magic has begun and we are underway.
The following photos are not my panels but the ones that Chris/Dan are putting their wizardry to, to make the concepts that we have discussed come to life.

The rear panel is on the mule with a stripped off roof covering/structure still there and being modified to accept the Z3 standard window glass. - What we are envisaging is the recess/profile of the 275 GTB window, with the Z3 glass and sealing surface inside that profile - Let's see what the guys can conjure up. Chris seems to think that what we are looking at is certainly doable. The top surface will be covered with a rain/water gutter the full length of the glass and almost back to the quarter panel vents.

I'll keep you in the loop with progress as there are a few other concepts planned that hopefully will come to fruition. Looks like Barbers Z3 Zagato will certainly have a good base to start from with the learning's on the window shape/setup.

Cheers Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1490.jpg (95.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1494.jpg (94.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1495.jpg (93.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 9th November 2017, 08:56

Step by step, the dream draws ever closer.