Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 7th December 2011, 20:32

Roybo is on a distinguished road
Default 550 up for grabs?

Sorry to see the 550 is up on ebay,really like the look
Of it,hope the new owner does it justice,and is as fairly priced
Keep us posted if you sell Gary and get them to post on here at Roy
Available from eBay
Old 7th December 2011, 22:28

redratbike is on a distinguished road

yep just saw that myself shame but a victim of the success of the spyder and g46 by the looks of it
Old 8th December 2011, 08:52

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Makes sense to focus on your core business if the Spyder and G46 are selling so well that they're taking up all your time Gary.

Roughly how many Spyders have you sold now and are the orders still rolling in like they did earlier this year?

IMHO it might be an idea to include some rough sales figures for your core products in the ad for the 550 project, just to show what's possible if you pitch to the right market.

Best of luck selling the moulds.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:44

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I put that listing up yesterday after agonising about it for about 2 weeks....I really don't like selling moulds , but there is a sort of unofficial rule in kit cars that you shouldn't spread yourself too thin and allow quality to suffer....Well we offer cheap end kits so quality is never going to be quite like the Big Boys , but I am constantly thinking about the next concept and thats not always the best thing to do......

I created the 550 as a result of it being the car I originally started out wanting and couldn't afford.

As a result the Sammio concept was born .

When the opportunity to build a 550 was waved in my face , I went for it , based on my thoughts that similar people to myself would also crave one and price was a key factor in that not happening...This has proved to be fairly accurate as the enquiries have been strong for the car and we are building 2 in the shop as well as a close friends that has just been started as well and will leave when its a rolling shell. So thats 3 and a couple of genuine enquiries will transpire in the next few weeks , I am sure....( one customer is actively shortening his chassis , so he's committed !!)

Now , don't get me wrong , I think the 550 is a fantastic car , the drivetrain layout , styling etc. everything about it is great and a very buildable car based around VW bits BUT ......The original SAMMIO SPYDER and G46 are my passion.

We are getting choked in the shop by the Spyder kit production and G46 enquiries.....Mike is halfway through a G46 body at present with another 5 to do straight away.

What I need to do is follow my heart but using my head !

We have sold 73 Spyders to date , 2 more to do at present and 6 G46's to do as said just now....add to that the 2 550's to build , a finished G46 for Patrice , Barry Mays finish build , a G46 body fit and a 1300 sq. ft facility with 2 guys and a part timer and something has gotta give........

So ....By passing the 550 on , I can get a bit of breathing space , someone can give the concept the attention and promotion it deserves....I can concentrate on my two babies , doing some repairs to the Spyder moulds and improving the product as it grows....

Going back to where I said '' I am constantly thinking about the next concept and thats not always the best thing to do......'' I am about to sort of contradict myself !!

Part of improving the Spyder and G46 range is making some changes....We are going to tweak the 46 to fit the TVR ...I think that could be a World Class car ..no pun intended Nick !
We are also working with JMC14 on here to get the Sammio Spyder into the U.S. ...MX5 based and slightly different build techniques but undeniably a Sammio - so thats quite exciting.

My main thing I want to do is offer the Spitfire based Sammio Spyder ....we get about 4 enquiries a month all saying ..'' will it fit the Spit '' .I need to cater for that.
It is a natural progression as 1500 spit chassis are everywhere...production continued to the early 80's so plenty of examples left.

I will need to deal with the proportions issue but have some ideas to create a car that is obviously a Sammio but a little different...possibly a bit more aggressive looking.
Some of the mods on Barry Mays car we will be doing might make the cross over to the Spit.

So there you have it .....lack of time , space etc. and refusal to not give my babies the attention and growth they deserve... ( sorry to any 550 lovers out there but I still think my Spyder is a prettier car ! ) add to that the fact that I totally burnt out this year financially and physically with two new cars and its time to just step back and be an adult for a minute....

SORRY FOR THE RAMBLING BUT NOT A QUICK THING TO EXPLAIN....

Last edited by lancelot link; 8th December 2011 at 09:54..
Old 8th December 2011, 10:35

I totally see your point and makes perfect sense
and agree the herald based cars are prettier,but like
you a 550 is a dream Car Of mine,but I like your other cars too
and more iimportantly like the prices
Good luck Roy
Old 8th December 2011, 10:37

davecymru is on a distinguished road

sad to hear, but i've got to say that i think that you've made the right decision!

You've got a really good thing going with the other 2 products and moving forwards (at least for a while) with evolution, rather than revolution makes the utmost sense!

Hopefully passing this on will mean that the profits from the other two start to increase rather than being sunk into the 550 and you can get back to a position where you're don't have quite so many worries, and then if/when the time comes to introduce a 3rd model you can do so and enjoy it more!
Old 8th December 2011, 13:22

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Gray

Could not agree more with you, any of us running our own bushinesses have to re -evaluate from time to time, in a way the 550 is a replica and not really in your current stable, whereas the Spyder and G46 are re bodies nothing to compare them to and all individual creations.

Great to hear Mike is half way through a G46 body, possibly the "G46 V8 Mk1" keep at it Mike!

The TVR is an excellent idea when you compare the work we have already done to make the V8 fit the SE5a chassis, acquire engine, gearbox all ancillaries, rad, plumbing, wiring loom, fabricate engine, prop-shaft and gearbox mounts and cut up bulk head. A TVR at £3,000 gives you all that with superior suspension, chassis and braking technology all in one package.

Having said that, you know what will happen, you will sell the mould for the 550 and orders will then start flooding in!!!!!!!!!!!

Onwards & upwards

G46 V8 Mk1
Old 8th December 2011, 14:55

Nick59 is on a distinguished road

Gary,
You and Mike obviously are a good team ...your choice would be to expand with the resultant effect you end up being a Manager and not doing what your obviously enjoy...being hands on.
Quite like the idea of knocking out a couple of cars a year, whilst carrying on with the day job tho

So when are you going to announce the TVR V8 G46 flying into the olympic opening ceremony with Mike balanced on a tightrope underneath
Old 8th December 2011, 17:30

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

I think that this is a good decision Gary. You have 2 great original designs. To maximize the potential of these makes sense. That being said, I know that you will always be thinking "what if?!"

Best of luck to you. John
Old 8th December 2011, 22:14

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

the TVR V8 G46 flying into the olympic opening ceremony

You have clearly heard about my parking, I blame the dodgy handbrake. I will keep the TVR thread separate from this top show it's progression.

Glad to hear Gary chose the G46, the right decision. As I have said when talking with him, I don't want a wanna be replica, I want a car inspired by the contemporaries.
Old 10th December 2011, 15:24

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

SOLD.....Going to Newton Abbott in Devon...

Not sure of final setup planned but have been told kits will still be available....

Delivery of moulds expected to be end of next week....
Old 10th December 2011, 20:54

Hope you got what you wanted and wish the new owner the best
Of British with the project i,m sure there a market for what you started