Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 26th May 2013, 16:32

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Yes indeed they were totally invisible...

With the heat gun wavering six inches off the bare, plain, surface after 10 or 15 secs a small pimple would appear indicating an isolated void, sometimes a rash would appear indicating a larger area.

This body has a lot of marks, resin drips, mould marks, untrimmed panels etc so I'm a long way off getting to the stage of 'first prep', when I'll go round it again - I was just curious.
Old 26th May 2013, 17:22

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Well amagine just painting the bloody car , at least your understanding my point
Old 26th May 2013, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmiglia View Post
Well amagine just painting the bloody car , at least your understanding my point
I'm always open to suggestions from those with experience! I also look to learn from other people's mistakes.

I knew this was going to be an issue after seeing WCA's G46 post on the subject last year.

It is a side effect of using polymers, like flash over rust is for newly milled steel, - just another process to employ, another item on the 'To Do List'.

From another thread - pasted here as an edit so I wont forget:

'With reference to the "voids" in your shell dig them out and use bridging filler to fill them rather than normal filler as it will put strength back into the area, P40 is the well known brand but any fibreglass based bridging filler will do from your local body shop supplies place, make sure you clean the voids out first so there is no dust in them though as otherwise it wont bond, i usually blow them out with an airline then clean with a rag soaked in celly thinners or acetone if you have any'

Last edited by Nike55; 27th May 2013 at 15:51.. Reason: Additional info
Old 31st May 2013, 06:05

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Nike55 - Thanks for another worked example of how to find the voids.

Your body shell looks a bit like mine in places, so I expect to find a few when I do this.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 17th June 2013, 14:23

Default Newark 2013

Having just finished a month of 60 hour weeks I thought on my first free day for a month (other commitments) I thought I might seek inspiration by going to the Newark Kit Car show.

I went last year but was disappointed as the weather was typically atrocious and after 120 mile ride my spirits were not buoyed due to the lack of vehicles on display. The exhibition area wasn't Stoneleigh but it was at least dry.

This year was a lot better as there were many more vehicles outside, the exhibition area was about the same, but I spent all my time outside.

I needed to resolve a few minor issues in respect of G46 fittings and was lucky enough to find a few examples of cars whose owners had solved various issues in a number of ways, happily broadly similar with what I vaguely had in mind.

I guess a few snaps might be in order:

Not G46 related but one of my faourites; the Ronart:

A brace of Novas, (Novae?):

The Spartan Club had a Barbecue and an international visitor;

Cruelly, I was waiting for this thing to seize, I suppose happily for the pilot it didn't:

Bit tiring for some:

Ok, a bit G46 related: well, from a hump point of view; (Banham Spyder, from which the G46 doors are similarly derived)

...and from a cockpit point of view:

and from a door hinge point of view:

Something you didn't get at Stoneleigh, a couple of circuits from the Battle of Britain Memorial Fliight, which is odd as I didn't see any Fairthorpes on display (Google it)

Now I have some inspiration, its time to get the car up to the farm and get on with it.

More next month.

Last edited by Nike55; 17th June 2013 at 14:28.. Reason: Pics not sticking
Old 17th June 2013, 16:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hmm, that Banham Spyder dash looks familiar...

Oh yes, that's right, it's the same as mine
Old 17th June 2013, 20:18

Yes, it looks good in a small car.
Old 18th June 2013, 10:38

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Nike55 - pm'd you
Old 18th June 2013, 11:32

Thanks Nick, I've responded.
Old 18th June 2013, 16:04

Viatron is on a distinguished road

What was the gold car that you shot the hinges of?
Old 18th June 2013, 16:10

Doh should have been paying attention, banham spyder?
Old 18th June 2013, 17:45

Yep.
Old 19th June 2013, 18:03

Default Missing Photos

Some might notice that my photos have vanished, this appears to be a problem when moving Photobucket albums around...

Will update and replace in due course..or just do a blog somewhere and link to here..eventually.

Last edited by Nike55; 1st July 2013 at 08:14..
Old 1st July 2013, 17:15

Busy Saturday for me. 350 mile round trip to Tribute Automotive's inaugural BBQ event, via Southampton to pick up a spare engine and gearbox (cheers WCA).

'Chargerstang' (Henry) brought his lovely GTO over from Germany and it was much admired;

The spare engine and a gearbox now sit under my workbench and hopefully I'll be rebuilding the engine later this year. The recent purchase of a 1 Ton folding crane specifically for this trip was the only way I could move the engine.

The block weighs 95 kgs, (with pistons and crankshaft in situ)

Cyl heads 15 kgs (each)

Carb manifold (land) 4 kgs

Flywheel 9 kgs.

The gearbox is a lightweight at only 60kgs.....

Unfortunately the engine number does not correspond to anything that I have found on any website (inc Burtonpower). The Scimitar engines started 'SC'.

Most parts are worn and pitted but I will rebuild with a fast-ish road cam or something similar. I'm really looking to maximise the efficiency of the original design rather than go nuts for all out power - if I wanted to do that I'd shove in my XJ6 engine

The gearbox I have is (we believe) from a Cortina - manual, four speed - no overdrive. The spare gearbox came with this little plate:

There have been a few distractions of late, esp toady when this nice Austin Healey rocked up to visit the next door neighbour.. not G46 like in the slightest but no apologies for sharing this:

Old 1st July 2013, 17:53

Looks like those are a reconditioners numbers you have there. That Healy is making my pants tight.........
Old 1st July 2013, 18:21

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Lovely Healey. Very nice colour too.
Old 1st July 2013, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
Looks like those are a reconditioners numbers you have there. That Healy is making my pants tight.........
Could well be re-conditioners numbers, they are nothing like anything I've come across to date. Will need to check dimensions and see what stage re-bore or recondition it's at, and crack detection etc.

I couldn't do much work this afternoon - too busy drooling.

It's a kind of light pea green, similar to some of the early Aston Martins, but nicely faded.
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:42

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Heavy old lump!

And that is the problem with the Essex engine, it's considerable weight. That's why I favoured dropping in the the Rover V8 they are a cheap as chips easily to moderately tune and a five speed box to boot.

My rule of thumb has always been 1BHP for 1Kg so if a Rover lump is 50Kgs lighter then you have 50BHP on your side before you start.

Did that engine come from WCA if so it may be the one he got from me as a far as I know it was the original engine in my car so if reg numbers, chassis numbers etc help let me know and I will did them out.

I love the BN100 my mate had one with a 350 chevy in it, if that green motor pitched up next door to me I would have pulled up a chair and watched it standing there stationery all day. I think I may have just found the colour for my car>
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:47

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Charman - Yep, that is your old engine. It was moved from under the bench in your garage to under the bench in my garage. When MickeyMo didn't want it under the bench in his garage I let Nike55 put it under the bench in his garage.

One day it will come out from under the bench, get rebuilt and the lucky owner will find out it is a full race modded block pushing out a bazzillion horsepower and all that weight is special high tech re-enforcment to cope with the power...

...or maybe not. Who knows?
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:37

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Charman - Yep, that is your old engine. It was moved from under the bench in your garage to under the bench in my garage. When MickeyMo didn't want it under the bench in his garage I let Nike55 put it under the bench in his garage.

One day it will come out from under the bench, get rebuilt and the lucky owner will find out it is a full race modded block pushing out a bazzillion horsepower and all that weight is special high tech re-enforcment to cope with the power...

...or maybe not. Who knows?
bugger!