Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th February 2017, 11:49

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave – Thanks.

Paul – I got the seat belts from Ebay after a few other people on the forum bought them.

Apparently, they were a batch of new belts designed for the Saxon armoured vehicle!

You can just about see the belts in this interior shot.

At the time I wasn’t sure if the airplane style buckle was going to be OK, but the MOT guy was happy with it.

If you do find any belts like these, just remember that all your controls need to be in easy reach as the belts do pin you to the seat.

So I have to remember to switch on the battery cut off switch before I tighten the belts up.
( Although it is easy to loosen the shoulder straps to get some movement when I forget. )

The other thing to be aware of is the ends of the adjustment straps have D rings on which bounce around and rattle.

But these type of belts really do add to the ‘race car on the road’ look.

Hope that helps, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 6th July 2019 at 22:02.. Reason: Updating Photo Links
Old 26th February 2017, 13:39

Spring Is In The Air:
Seeing the cherry trees in bloom is usually a good sign that the worst of the winter is over.

It has been a busy month both at work and at home, but thankfully I was able to go for a quick blast today.

The sky was constantly changing and I did fear I was going to be caught out by some rain.

This was the scene when I pulled into Sainsburys on the way home.

The car park is always a good reminder of just how small the car is.

Having said that, you can still pile the shopping in.

I'll leave you with this shot taken on my street while I was moving my wife's car off the driveway.

I've ordered a new rear stop/tail light for the passenger side, as there is definitely something wrong with the one I've fitted.

I also clocked up 883 miles since the MOT and am slowly edging towards my 1,000 miles shake down target.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 4th March 2017, 15:04

Jeff H - I did try to find a way to mount the GoPro that would recreate the original camera angle.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't find any way of securing the camera in place that would actually work at all.

Thankfully, I did feel slightly better when I found these photos of how the professionals did it!

So my cheap and cheerful alternative was to use an extendable 'selfie stick'.

I taped the stick to the back of the car for the exhaust shot and to the side of the car for the wheel view.

I was able to adjust the length of the stick until it was roughly at the right height off the ground.

Although it took a few attempts before I managed to get the camera pointing in the right direction.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday Spin:
Needed to collect my new rear stop/tail light from the Post Office, which seemed like a good excuse for a run out.

Then I took a bit of a detour on the way back and have now clocked up a total of 903 miles.

I left the car parked on the street when I got home, so I could let the engine cool down.

Later on I was able to check, and top up, the engine oil, which is still weeping out.

The big kid in me still loves the fact that this bonnet opens on hinges I made myself.

The really good news is that there was definitely some warmth in the sunshine today.

So until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 4th March 2017, 19:10

deggsy is on a distinguished road

Same here Paul Just finished my bonnet hinges and I really am chuffed with the result.
Old 5th March 2017, 14:07

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Glad the car is getting regular use Paul ...they are a blast to drive , whatever the weather ...

Have you given any thought to when you are going to paint her yet ?
Old 6th March 2017, 21:12

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
it is porus and will lead to micro blister in the future
Which could be a bonus if you are going for ''racetrack refugee found in a barn '' look !!
Old 7th March 2017, 07:06

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Or go for metallic silver - even if the finish isn't great an awful lot of people think it's just weather-worn aluminium. And roundels. Roundels are good.
Old 10th March 2017, 19:29

I post replies and a proper update tomorrow.

But I've only just heard that John Surtees had died.

Old 11th March 2017, 14:23

Deggy - The photos of your bonnet hinges looked good.

Lancelot, Jeff & Mr T - Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions and I will have some Barry Sheene #7 roundels.

Based on today's weather I think the time to start prepping for paint is not too far off.

As I had set myself the target of at least 1,000 shakedown miles and I am less than 80 away from that now.

I am just debating whether to get the car back to JY CLassics to get the oil leak sorted out before or after paint.

The other thing I am a still battling with is the standard of "smoothness" I will be aiming for.

Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of doing a botched paint job, but I do not want/need a glass like finish.

I think as long as I sort out the main 'lumpy' bits, I'd be happy with an overall "lived in" look.

I've also applied for the one of the Goodwood Breakfast Club meetings in June, so that is a good target.

Springtime in London for Swordfishes…

After another really hectic week at work, it was great to be out with the sun shining today.

It was certainly warm enough to encourage the 'fair weather' convertible drivers to get their roofs down.
( I passed 4 today. )

In fact, by the time I had nipped into Sainsburys on the way home it was warm enough to ditch my outer layers…

And drive the last mile or so in a t-shirt.

I also had my first offer of a straight car swap (although just for the day) while stopping for petrol.

When a young man offered me his immaculate Audi TT RS coupe in exchange for my car, as it was "Dope".

Last edited by Paul L; 11th March 2017 at 20:21..
Old 12th March 2017, 08:54
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

So... how much was the TT worth ? Tempted to swap - sell - start again.?

Dave
Old 14th March 2017, 06:45

Dave - The Audi was worth at least three or four times the value of my car.

Plus it is more reliable, faster, has a roof and no doubt a working heater, etc.

Thing is, I doubt if his really nice car gets anything like the reaction my humble effort does.

As for starting again, unless I move to a house with a garage, any future car building projects are banned.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 14th March 2017, 07:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Wasn't the 'swap' just for a day anyway? If you did take the TT and sell it on for a profit under that deal you would be moving house. To The Big House...
Old 14th March 2017, 07:36

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Paul, had you thought about painting the car in yacht paint?
We had a yacht in Essex a few years back and every few years we would paint the hull in navy blue with international paints paint. Put it on with a fine foam roller and a fine foam brush for the nooks and crannies. You do get excellent results for very little effort. The paint is designed to flow out and not run, as you can imagine, painting a hull is all vertical so you need a paint that won't sag. If you scratch it, just give it a rub with a scotch pad and go other that area with the roller again, you won't see the blend. I recon £45 on paint. You would need a colour that would give that patina effect, BRG or dark blue would work well.
I would suggest putting a garden gazebo up with side curtains so you can give the inside a good spray with fly killer before you start, stops the little buggers landing on the wet paint. I have been using a bit of thinners in the gun to give the gazebo a good dousing 5 minutes before spraying and it has worked well. I did spray one sill out of the gazebo as I was out of room and rushing. Every flying thing for miles was attracted to in in minutes.
Only downside is if you decide to paint it properly later you would have to sand it off.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 14th March 2017 at 07:39..
Old 15th March 2017, 07:38

Mr T - Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JaguarTVR - Welcome to my build thread.

The BRG paint I have is apparently 'Truck Coat' and it sounds similar to that yacht paint.

It is designed to be applied by brush and should leave a thick coat of paint that can then be sanded back for a smoother finish.

Thanks for the fly spray tip, as I will try to rig up some sort of gazebo paint booth.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 15th March 2017, 07:50

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Try painting some of the Truck coat with a small dense sponge roller and sponge brush on some scrap first. If I remember correctly Truck Coat is an enamel type paint so should have similar properties to yacht paint.

I built a large extension a few years back and all the paintwork was Dulux liquid gloss, I put it all on with the sponge tools and had no runs at all, normally I end up with runs and drips everywhere, it's a good paint but horrible to put on.
Old 19th March 2017, 15:25

JagTVR - I like the idea of using some practise pieces for test painting.

I've sure I will be able to find something suitable in my fibreglass graveyard.

It would be interesting to see how different brushes/rollers/sponges turn out.

Windy Miller

Work is going through a bit of a hectic phase at the moment, so I really wanted a chance to get out in the car today.

I wasn't too bothered about the strength of the wind, but the every changing cloud formations did worry me.

Eventually, I decided to take a chance, but no sooner had I started moving my wife's car off the drive it started to rain.

So even though it was only spitting, I kept the car covers on.

Unfortunately, a bit of light drizzle was not going to get me out of some gardening chores.

So I was outside raking the lawn instead.

Which quickly filled 5 bags!

Then I had to rescue the lawn mower from the messy shed.

Before the grass finally got its first cut of 2017.

The good news is that if I am back working in the garden then the nice weather can't be too far away.

At the first sign of the sun trying to break through the clouds I headed out for a drive.

Only about 15 miles, but it is still a great way to shake off the work stresses.

Pulled into the local industrial estate on the way home to grab a few photos.

PS
Only saw one 'hard core' driver with their roof down today...

Two blokes in a battered old MX5 that were clearly enjoying their drive and went crazy when they saw me driving towards them.
Old 19th March 2017, 15:30

molleur is on a distinguished road

Enjoy!
Better weather coming your way (I hope).
Old 25th March 2017, 15:57

Molleur - Thanks, it was certainly nice and sunny today.

Blustery Saturday
Unfortunately, despite the lovely sunshine, it was still quite chilly when I set off today (just before noon).

But that was nothing compared to the HUGE wind buffeting I got heading up the M1 for 20+ miles.

So I took the scenic route home, which meant a lot of traffic, delays and a quick 'pit stop' at a garden centre.

Thankfully, I remembered to pick up some flowers for Mothers' Day on the way home.

Racked up just under 60 miles, which was enough to edge me over the magical one thousand miles mark.
( 1,003 to be precise. )

So at some point I will need to switch over from driving the car to sorting out a few niggles and starting the preparations for paint.

Top Gear
Good to see "On days like these" being used on last week's episode featuring the Fiat 124.

Westminster
We have this painting in our dining room…

And I remember the huge crowds around this area when I took my car 'sight seeing' last year.
( Including across the bridge in both directions and around parliament. )

So watching the tragic scenes from there this week really hit home.

"Let's be careful out there."

Take care, Paul.
Old 31st March 2017, 20:11

That Friday Feeling…
Yesterday was the hottest day of the year, but I was stuck in an office.

Thankfully, I was able to get off work early today and take the car out for a spin.

One tale to tell from the trip...

I was looking for an photo opportunity around Wembley stadium.

Ended up on the two lane one way system around the big industrial estate around the back.

I could hear a car tooting their horn, which in itself isn't unusual when I'm driving driving around.

However, on this occasion, the tooting continued in earnest and I became concerned something might be wrong.

So I slowed and looked over my left shoulder to find a little old lady in a Mk1 Micra smiling and waving at me.

Unfortunately, we was so excited by my car, she them proceeded to swerved into my lane!

I ended up smoking the tyres doing an emergency stop to avoid crashing into the side of her.

So I ended up heading to a local park for a photo instead, in the hope it might be safer there.

I parked the car in the street when I got back, so I could check (& top up) the oil when the engine had cooled down.

Give the rate the oil appears to be leaking, I will need to get this fixed before ending to Norfolk.

Just realised that today marks 7 months since the car has been on the road.

So until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 2nd April 2017, 18:51

Sunny Sunday
I had to drop something off at one of my mate's today, so it was a good excuse for a spin in the Swordfish.

Then from his house I took a detour on the way home ending up at Marble Arch and along Park Lane.

A sea of double red lines meant there was no where to pull over for a tourist photo.
( Although lots of tourists have now got a photo of my car driving around the sights. )

So I figured I would make another attempt at getting a Wembley photo.
( Hoping to avoid Kamikaze grannies in Micras this time. )

Unfortunately, they were putting traffic cones out for an event as I arrived.

I then turned down one side road to find two Police wagons blocking the road.
( I got a nice smile from one officer as I three pointed turned my way back the other way. )

So in the end, this was the best I could do and after all the hassle, the sun was in the way at the top of the arch.

Note: The amount of positive reactions this car generates driving around town is really off the scale.

I am currently looking into the option of hiring a lock up garage for a short while so I can have somewhere decent to paint the car.

As, unfortunately, I just don't think I am going to be able to get the gazebo to work on my sloping driveway.

So lets see what I can find in the next few weeks.

Cheers, Paul.