Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 17th May 2017, 21:55

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Deggsy – The locks have a nickel plated finish, which look dull, in the good sense of the word.

I’ve also been looking at other photos of the mighty Lancia D24 that PsychoPops posted a photo of.

Because once you start looking for the bathroom lock on the bonnet you do notice it.

And if it was good enough for Fangio…

Anyway, I need a dry spell and daylight to check my options, so that will have to wait for another day.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
How cool is that D24?
Old 18th May 2017, 02:40

Barber is on a distinguished road
Wink Bathroom locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Deggsy – The locks have a nickel plated finish, which look dull, in the good sense of the word.

And if it was good enough for Fangio…

What's all this then? Bathroom locks? Commode seats?
Old 18th May 2017, 07:36

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Paul, those bathroom locks look very nice and will probably do the job better than the purpose made bonnet pins as they will naturally line up the level of the back edge of the bonnet with the bulkhead without any need for adjustment.

One thing though, do you have access to the bulkhead beneath the female part of the latch so you can fix them in place with nuts and bolts? If not you'll maybe need to use rivnuts as self-tappers are likely to work loose.

Keep up the good work, the chequered flag is in plain sight now. Painted by the end of next week then? ...
Old 18th May 2017, 07:58

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

The picture of the original bolts earlier in the thread show that the bolts are spring loaded to prevent them from vibrating open. You may have problems with these bolts as they don't have any means of keeping them closed.

Can you get bolts that show "Vacant" & "Engaged"
Old 18th May 2017, 18:24

Barber – Commode seats? – Please see Post #2978 on Page 149 for my reply to that thought.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mr T – It is the fact I have space for the female end, that is drawing me to this option.

In the photo below, the left hand end of the bracket in my hand lines up with the front vertical face of the bulkhead.

So there is a bit of overlap to play with and I’ve ordered some suitable nuts and bolts.

Jag – Funny you should say that, as I asked PyschoPops the same question when I first saw the bolts.

It turns out that the bolt arm spins, so this is the ‘open’ position, lining up with the slot.

And by turning it through 90 degrees, it becomes ‘closed’ to prevent it opening.

I’m hoping that a big blob of thick grease will prevent the bolt arm turning while I’ve driving along.

Bad News / Good News / Bad News / Good News:

Bad News – Found out today that my car was not chosen for 'track side glory' at the Goodwood Breakfast Club.

Although in fairness, I had to list my car’s condition as ‘average’, given the fact the photo showed it in primer.

Good News – This means I can now start to remove accessories from the car as part of my painting prep.

I was reluctant to do this before, in case I actually got the invite and then found my car was in bits.

Bad News – I got home early from work today and it is still bloody raining outside!

Good News – The rain is reminding me why I will struggle to recreate a professional paint booth finish.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 18th May 2017, 18:55

Giving you just a load of extra work.
Could you mount a homemade very long bolt on or under the dashboard that would go through the bulkhead and into a home made hole bonded to the the underneath oh the trailing edge of the bonnet? Or they could be mounted on either side in front of the door, similar fixing to the E-Type bonnet.
If the bracket bonded to the bonnet was in two parts you could adjust the height of the hole so when the bolt is pushed through it would hold the bonnet down tight. You could use a bit of self adhesive sponge on the lip to keep it tight and stop it rattling.

Give you a nice change from rubbing down!
Old 19th May 2017, 15:16

Jag - Thanks (I think ), but it is more rubbing down for me.

Nervous Wreck
A lull at work left me at home today being driven mad by the fact it was still raining.

But during the the first dry spell we've had in days I finally got to see what the bolt locks looked like.

This really does appear to be a rare KISS solution for my build, so I will give this a go.

Although I still need to decide where to position them, this is either side of the rear view mirror aero screen.

And this is a bit further apart, although I really need to be able to trust the weather and remove the covers for a better view.

I am currently waiting for a slightly thicker rubber strip to test how that will affect how the bonnet sits.

So I will make a final decision once I can test things with that in place.

I will also need to drill some holes to fit a pair of Union Jacks I have for the sides of the bonnet.

I then removed the upper bonnet straps from both sides.

Then it was some seriously hard work to sand down the filler on the body shell extensions.

By which point the dark clouds were starting to return.

But I figured it was worth the risk and brushed on some etch primer.

Then I used a dust sheet to keep the bonnet off the fresh paint.

As I was packing everything away, the rain was definitely on its way, which was making me very nervous.

Thankfully, the etch primer was touch dry by the time I got the covers back on.

So that's all for today, not much, but certainly better than nothing.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 19th May 2017, 21:43

molleur is on a distinguished road

I think the bonnet catches should be somewhat far apart like the Lancia.
Old 19th May 2017, 21:49

It does look very much "Public Convenience" (very, very sorry)

How about the exterior bonnet catches on Eric's 250 build?
Old 19th May 2017, 22:21

How about an in your face retro catch?

http://www.europaspares.com/exterior...-fastener.html
Old 19th May 2017, 22:32

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Paul ..if you are set on using those latches ..put them as far apart as you can ...
Old 20th May 2017, 07:08

OK, OK, I get the feeling there is very little love out there for my bonnet latch idea.

So I'll have another look at how to keep the bonnet from flapping around later today (weather permitting).

Although, I reserve the right to just paint my bathroom locks BRG and fit them anyway.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 20th May 2017, 08:44

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
OK, OK, I get the feeling there is very little love out there for my bonnet latch idea.

So I'll have another look at how to keep the bonnet from flapping around later today (weather permitting).

Although, I reserve the right to just paint my bathroom locks BRG and fit them anyway.

Cheers, Paul.
My 2 cents for what there worth, I would fit the catches wide apart and paint them body colour.
Old race cars were functional, nobody cared if it had chromed wheels, or if there was an odd bit of mesh behind an air intake or vent or if a catch was an ad hoc fix.
British racing green itself was made out of left over military green and black paint. Which varied each time knocked up a batch

So for that authentic - it may have completed the Targa Florio look I would carry on as you have been Paul
Old 20th May 2017, 09:00

Hmm, some quite unkind comments amongst the helpful ones which is a shame.

Paul, it's your car so build it your way (I know you will anyway).

The latches Lancia fitted look like they came off the inside of a couple of doors in the bagni pubblici at a race track somewhere after the bonnet started lifting at speed -

'Luigi, what're we gonna do about the bonnet lifting at speed?'

'I dunno boss, I go for a crap and have a think about it...'

It's the little details like these that make our cars look more authentic, not less, so just go ahead and fit them, paint them BRG and knock a few chips into the paint where the bolts enter the sleeves.

If you don't like them once you've done that just change them for something else. That's the beauty of building and painting your own car yourself, you're not going to be fretting over damaging your shiny and (justifiably) expensive pro paint job as you know you can touch it up yourself after any changes or damage, just like Lancia, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar et al. did at the track side sixty odd years ago, and it'll still look authentic, if not perfect.

If you decide to keep them and they rattle open you could always drill through them and add a securing pin, or go for a spring loaded alternative, like these -

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...p?p_ref=296566

Keep up the good work, now get some paint on it.
Old 20th May 2017, 09:35

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

I can see why Jeffy Baby isn't keen , but I agree with Towed's comments above ...zeus fasteners ( probablie spellt rong ) would be the cleanest , easiest route to hold the top down , covered with a strap if deemed too modern , but I don't think they are and painted body colour , virtually invisible .. ...but I don't mind the crudeness of the latch ...for all the reasons Towed said ...the only downside is that people outside of the hobby viewing the car won't ''get it'' and you can't carry a picture of a D24 everywhere ..

Lots of cars from that era are quite basic .....thank god !
Old 20th May 2017, 10:06

It's Dzus, which is, of course, pronounced 'Zeus' as in the Greek God. They were all over military aircraft from the 50's onwards and work great when they're new. Trouble is that they wear out really quickly - the wire that the 'screw' twists into bends and then they tend to look and feel secure but rattle open under stress. We had more than one panel drop off Jaguars (Sepecat, not JLR) through worn out Dzus fasteners that weren't secure.
Old 20th May 2017, 14:46

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Paul your car is a semi retired period race car that has seen plenty of competitive use,not a 'trailer queen'. Just do it, as so eloquently put by Towed. Lol
Old 20th May 2017, 14:56

swifty is on a distinguished road

Paul space them as far apart as possible, give them a worn patina look then with a splash of paint they will match the look your after.

Good luck matey.
Old 20th May 2017, 15:25

Roadster - Cheers.

Mr T - Thanks and I'm sure there will be an interesting true story behind the D24 bonnet locks.

Gary - It is your point about the cars from that era being quite basic that gives me some comfort.

Dark Clouds - Literal and Metaphorical:
This run of rain is seriously getting me down, as I just can't seem to make any decent progress at all.

So at some point I will try to work on the boot lid independently from the rest of the car.

So my first job was to seal off both the boot & the cockpit.

As there is no way of sanding this corner down without making a real mess.

And this is the area I want to skim with filler after sanding.

This one is for JeffH.

As by now the dark clouds meant that I couldn't risk starting the filler work and then getting caught in the rain before it set (again).

So the covers went back on the car at the front and I retreated to the SummerHouse, which is a complete mess (again).

I dismantled the bolt locks, sanded them down and gave them a coat of etch primer.
( As if they are going to get used, they will definitely be painted BRG. )

Despite all the gloom with the weather, as least this view of my 'workshop' made me smile.
( As it puts the reality of my facilities and build quality standards into context. )

By the time the rain finally came I'd cleared enough space to store the boot lid for now.
( Further tidying up is required before I will have enough room to do any work in there. )

Since then, the sunshine and showers keep swapping places so often that the day is a write off.

So until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
Froggyman & Swifty - Sorry chaps, I only just noticed your replies as I was about to post this update.

So all I can say is thank you both, and everyone else who is still encouraging me towards the finish line.
Old 21st May 2017, 04:54

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bonnet Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster
I would fit the catches wide apart and paint them body colour.l
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed
The latches Lancia fitted look like they came off the inside of a couple of doors in the bagni pubblici at a race track somewhere after the bonnet started lifting at speed -

'Luigi, what're we gonna do about the bonnet lifting at speed?'

'I dunno boss, I go for a crap and have a think about it...'
Ditto.

FWIW I think they're absolutely fine. If anyone comments negatively, just tell 'em to bog off.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 21st May 2017 at 04:57..