Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 3rd June 2015, 22:24

garyh is on a distinguished road

Paul, I'm glad you're slowing up as I may be able to catch up a bit... I am going to work on my car on Friday...
Old 4th June 2015, 07:21

swifty is on a distinguished road

One epic story line there Paul.

That has to be a forum record for one post, good luck in the work front.
Old 4th June 2015, 23:18

jones is on a distinguished road

Incredible, I take a bit of a break from the forum and it's all change!

Paul, your glass should certainly not be half empty! for the fact that everything Ed has said is spot on and like yourself a reality check has happened recently to me and I am grateful of two things my family and the fact I was able to take a month out to be there for them all - secondly that when I finally did arrive back to my own house last Saturday my project was there waiting for my tinkering and it will now be complete when its complete no sooner and no later.

I wish you all the best with the job, the car is looking great now and you have broken the back of it now so weekends of devotion will move it forwards step by step especially with your newly acquired much wider skill set.

Oh and plus all you need to do is to lift that cover and remind yourself that unlike a huge percentage of others that have taken a sabbatical, you didn't waste yours with sitting around watching TV you got up and did something gaining new skills and knowledge.

All the best, Ian
Old 5th June 2015, 14:24

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T, Ed, Gary, Swifty & Jones - Thanks gentlemen.

I guess condensing almost 70 pages of this build thread into 6 posts was always going to be a bit of a challenge.

The good news is that the review, along with taking a short break from the car, has allowed me to regroup in a positive way.
( As the sheer weight of things left to do really got to me, especially with all the other stuff going on at the same time. )

So going forward, this build will return to being my "hobby", something that I will try to work on in my spare time.

I will also try harder not to let any thoughts of a deadline enter my head and just accept it will take as long as it takes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Other Cordite/Navigator Builds:
I think 15 Cordite MkIs were sold before the Navigator/Cordite MkII replaced it, but I don't know how many of those were sold.
( Does anyone know this figure? )

As far as I know, DonnySoutherner has the only Cordite MkI on the road.
Although the silver Ribble demonstrator was sold unfinished & I don't know what happened to that.
Nellieb appears to getting there and I know life got in the way of a couple of Cordite MkI builders (as it does).

As for Navigators/Cordite MkIIs, the red Ribble LHD version had an MOT and Mac is now on the road too.
Swifty is catching up fast, and last I heard Micky1mo was trying to sell his Navigator hybrid.
Apart from that, I don't think there are any other Navigator builders on the forum.
( But I am happy to be corrected / reminded of any others. )

Also on the road is wharfedale's one off "Spitfire Spyder" special, which pre-dates the Cordite.

So, even if I have missed a few, a finished Spitfire based Sammio/Ribble is still a very rare sight indeed.

Therefore I just need to be patient while I slowly work my way towards joining this elite group of cars.

Although, after all my body shell butchery, I'm actually going to be the inbred hilly billy cousin of the family.

Until next time (which might even include some car building work ), take care, Paul.
Old 5th June 2015, 19:58
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Paul, here's a strange on for you.

It's a Ribble Navigator that's going through "surgery" to fit a Scimitar SS1.

Should be road worthy in the next few weeks
Old 13th June 2015, 05:41

Micky1Mo - That is one serious "cut & shut" job!

Where did the Navigator body come from, as I thought the moulds were not useable?

Actually, following on from my previous post, you don't know how many Navigator kits were made do you?

Either way, looking forward to seeing the finished Scimitar version.

That Was The Week That Was...
A bit of a belated catch up from me and without any of my planned car work to show.

Although last Saturday I did have a small construction project turning this box of bits...

Into one of these.

As my family wanted to have a BBQ for the 4 of us on Sunday and our old BBQ had finally bitten the dust.

In fact, the last time I used it, I had to bodge a bit of metal from my Spitfire "left over" pile to bridge a corroded section.

Note:
I do not actually recommend temporary repairs on something where gas and flames are combined.

The good news is that whilst the new BBQ has a similar "foot print" to the old one, it has a much bigger cooking area.

So Sunday the BBQ was christened and we had a nice relaxing family day.

On Monday I got the news that all my work checks had been completed and I started in Canary Wharf on Tuesday!

So this has turned into a long week, as my return to the rat race has played havoc with my sleep.
( Long hours in front of twin computer screens has left me waking up at all hours. )

This morning was no exception, so I've been typing up loads of forum replies and will post them now before going back to bed!

Quite by chance there is an open air car show in Canary Wharf at the moment and I loved the Jaguar stand.

This twin tail pipe set up makes my pipes look like pea shooters.

But best of all I got to see their "Project 7" car.

And this is what a proper "boot lid through the aero hump" design is supposed to look like.

Having said that, I don't thing this Jaguar was put together on their driveway.

It would be nice if I could get at least a token gesture of car work done this weekend.

But we will have to see, cheers, Paul.
Old 13th June 2015, 07:18

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Your temporary repair should be fine Paul, after all, what could possibly go wrong with a damaged gas barbie?

http://www.theguardian.com/australia...ical-condition
Old 13th June 2015, 11:36
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Micky1Mo - That is one serious "cut & shut" job!

Where did the Navigator body come from, as I thought the moulds were not useable?

Actually, following on from my previous post, you don't know how many Navigator kits were made do you?

Either way, looking forward to seeing the finished Scimitar version.

Hi Paul, when I spoke to RIBBLE's laminator he told me he built 22 body's, 2 Austin Powers things, 8 Navigators and 12 Pilot's, if I remember right
This shell was one of the original SAMMIO Cordite body's before they where "re-worked".
Here a few photos of "work-in-progress"

The whole thing looks simple but it's been a nightmare

I still have a problem with the driving position, some how I have to extend the dash to meet the steering wheel.

I also think I will have to lower the floor-pans to avoid the "noody" effect.

I would have like to do a blog on this but the chap who's buying it said no, so sorry
Old 13th June 2015, 15:16

humbug...
Old 14th June 2015, 17:52

Mr T: - This was my bodged repair, using a folded section of Spitfire body work to bridge the corrosion.

But the thought of a gas explosion is why the old BBQ is now a pile of parts ready for the recycling centre.

Although I will hang on to the legs in case I can think of a use for them in the car build.

Micky1Mo & Gary - It is a shame that there isn't another build thread to follow.

A Token Gesture:
Whilst it is good to be back talking about my build again, unfortunately there isn't much to report.

I was getting fed up with the fact the cheap plastic wallet my hand files came in was always falling apart.

So I've replaced it with a cheap material tool roll instead.

This was part of my traditional tidying up of the Summer House and at least I can see the floor again.

I've found the original fixings for the Spitfire steering column.

But there was one bracket that I just needed to paint over the blue.

Then I made two cardboard templates for the mounting bolts on each seat.

These will be used when I come to mark up / drill the holes required to bolt the seats to the floor.
( There is no room for seat runners to work. )

Confession Time:
Tidying up the hand files reminded me that I need to mention a slight mishap I had with the internal frame work.

Because I'd lowered the bulkhead slightly by removing an extra spacer, one of these brackets didn't want to line up.

So I'd been using a big screwdriver to give me the little bit of leverage I needed to get the bolts into place & that worked well.

Although there was one hole that needed to be open up a little bit in order to line up, so I used one of the small hand files.

Then my brain shut down for a moment and I carrying on with my levering action, except I hadn't picked up the screwdriver.

Yes, I really was dumb enough to break about 5 cm off the top of the file and drop it into my completely sealed A pillar.

To say I turned the air blue was an understatement, but as I couldn't think of any way of fixing the problem I just bolted it all up.

Now I need to pick one of the following options:
- Leave it where it is and carry on regardless.
- Cut an access hole into the A pillar, find it & fish it out (no idea where it is, so it may not even work).
- Squirt a load of expanding foam in though one of the bolt holes and hope to entomb it.

Although I am open to better suggestions if you have any.

Anyway it is nice to be back working on the car again, even if it was only for a short time & I didn't get much done.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 14th June 2015, 18:16

do you think it will rattle or jump around... Can you drill a whole in the top and drop something magnetic down the end? Or grind the top off, take it out and re-weld.
Old 15th June 2015, 07:51
Enthusiast

Paul, I think one of the top priority's you have to do at this stage of your build is to "sit" in the car and play "driving".

I know this sound stupid but is an important moment.

Firstly, you can tell if the car "fits", leg room, peddles, steering wheel, seat position ect.
Secondly, It makes you feel so good at what you've done so far and bleeds inspiration to finish the car
Old 15th June 2015, 09:38

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
Paul, I think one of the top priority's you have to do at this stage of your build is to "sit" in the car and play "driving".

I know this sound stupid but is an important moment.

Firstly, you can tell if the car "fits", leg room, peddles, steering wheel, seat position ect.
Secondly, It makes you feel so good at what you've done so far and bleeds inspiration to finish the car
I have to agree with that one, having now driven my Marlin about 100 miles, to and from it's MOT, I have realised I need to make adjustments to the seating, steering wheel and clutch pedal positions. My left, clutch leg is now suffering cramps as a result if the lack of a 'rest' position and I need to improve the throttle position too, I am having difficulty keeping a steady throttle position when cruising.

Part of my problem is the pedal box, I had to add a hydraulic clutch for the RV8 (Ford was cable, which takes up much less room), which has put the clutch pedal too close to the gearbox, so I have nowhere for my left foot to rest. If I were doing it again I would make my own pedal box, probably floor mounted, which would solve a bunch of other issues, including access around the steering column.

Better to get this right at an early stage while you can more easily make the adjustments. I did try but not hard enough! You need to be really comfortable seated in a driving position. Think, you have to be comfortable for at least an hour or two at a stretch, else it will be purgatory to drive it and that's not what it's about, you want to enjoy the experience.
Old 15th June 2015, 12:25
Enthusiast

I should have said some think earlier but just forgot!!
Only just remembered as I have just had to "cut and shut" a local guys body by 4".
Made a real mess of his nice red paint job and messed up his interior trim.
Sorry but he was to embarrassed for photos.

One of the major problem with the Navigator body was the lack of cockpit space.
Mac, got around his leg-room with the floor mounted pedal box.

I
Old 20th June 2015, 16:46

Gary - Well part of me thinks that there will be so much noise in a completely open car, that one more rattle wont be noticed.
Plus I spent so long repairing the rusty bulkhead that I am very reluctant to cut an access panel into the pillar in order to get the bit of file out.
So I'll leave it for now and have another think before the body shell is bonded onto the framework, which would limit my access options still further.

Micky1Mo & 8 Valve Ed - Luckily I am only 5' 8", so there is just enough room for me to fit based on previous test fittings.
By using the Spitfire bulkhead there is plenty of room for my feet, so I have no issues with access to the pedals.
The only slight problem is the angle of the lowered floor pans combined with the angle at the back of my seats means they only just fit.
I was actually hoping to sort out the holes for fitting the seats today, but it was not to be...

Another Token Gesture:
Almost 6 weeks after I put the covers, they were finally taken off today.

Then I removed the boot lid.

As this makes it easier for my wife and I to lift the body shell back into position.

Although one corner just wouldn't sit right and then I realised I had been a bit thick (again! ).

When I was painting the rear arches I noticed a bend in one small section, which I straighten out before painting.

As it turns out, I had previously bent this out the the way on purpose so one corner of the boot rain channel didn't foul.

So a bit of leverage was applied for the second time.

And now this corner sits nicely.

So with the boot lid back in place and the bonnet lowered, it was looking like this.

Scottie posted a photo of the gap under his "slammed" Spitfire the other day.

By comparison, I appear to have build an off road Le Mans car.

Note:
The small dent in the exhaust pipe was put there by the previous owner.

At some point I need to be brave and start work on chopping the bonnet sides & extending the body shell.

A bit like Micky1Mo's build photos above.

I've also got to sort out the rear edge of the bonnet, to match the profile of the scuttle.

But this is what the passenger side front wheel arch looks like now.

Not easy to see in the photo, but currently you can see the front edge of the bulkhead through the arch.

Unfortunately, by now the sky looked like this and I didn't want to push my luck with the weather.

So the covers went back on and I will have to sort out fitting the seats another day.

At least it now looks like I have a car under there.

Take care, Paul.
Old 28th June 2015, 13:47

Weekend - Part 1:
There were two small(ish), and inter-connected jobs, that I wanted to tackle, which were the seats and steering column.

But I'm really struggling to find "any car" time at the moment, despite the run of nice weather we have been having.

Luckily I managed to make use of a "gap" between a "Dad's Taxi" drop off and pick up on Saturday that at least allowed me to do some prep work.

When I was digging out the steering column brackets the other day, I knew one part was missing / stored in a different place.

So the first job was to find the box with these bits in it.

I've ended up with two sets of brackets to seal the steering column to the bulkhead, as I've had two body shells.

So I just need the one I've painted black, plus the new rubber seal I'd bought from Rimmer Bros.

Then I spend a bit of time finding a matching sets of small washers for the two fixing bolts, rather than use the odd collection originally fittied.

Next up were some minor modifications to the cardboard seat bolt templates I'd made last week.

I marked up some "cross hairs" on the "sunny side" of both templates.

Which allowed me to increase the size of the holes from bolt to bolt head size.

Which in turn will allow me to remove the seat, but leave the template on the floor, rather than have it still bolted to the seat.

The bolt heads will act as a rough match for the height of the seat spacers.

I then cleaned up a bunch of penny washers that were originally used during my various boot locking experiments.
( And were covered in bits of filler and/or etch primer. )

Next I removed the steering column cover and indicator/horn/high beam switch.

Note:
At some point I would like to make a new cover to replace the plastic one, but this will do for now to at least get me on the road.

I just need to have a quick read of the Haynes manual before I re-fit the column to ensure I line everything up correctly.

It was early evening before I could finally take the covers off and do a bit more.

So I put the passenger seat into position.

Given the angles of the lowered floor pans and the back of the seat, there is no space at the back.

So when the rear cockpit wall is in place, the back of the seat make be squashed a bit.

Before I went any further, I thought I'd better double check the seat belts too.

From my previous tests, I knew the rear mounting point would not line up with the centre of the seat back.

But this does not seem to cause a problem when the belts are over your shoulder (excuse dodgy selfie).

So now that I was happy with the position of the seat, I could take the template to the floor.

Then mark the hole centres onto some masking tape I'd put underneath.

By now, even though it was still daylight, it was a bit too late in the evening to start drilling.

So I had a quick look at the possibility of adding some washers to the bolts at the rear of the seat.

This does actually gives a very marginal improvement to the gap behind the seat, so I've ordered some longer seat bolts.

End of Part 1...
Old 28th June 2015, 13:48

Weekend - Part 2:
I just had enough time left on Saturday to put the driver's seat & belt roughly into position.

But I want to fit the steering column before I commit to a final seat position.

Actually, I might fit the accelerator pedal too, as I just have the clutch & brake pedals in position at the moment.

Note: I still can't budge the clutch pedal no matter how hard I push against the pedal.

Another job I need to tackle at some point is sealing up the small gap between the bulkhead & rear framework / floors.

OK, when I started typing this post up, I was expecting "Part 2" to include some of today's work as well.

Unfortunately, it has been chucking it down with rain during my intended car work "slot".

So I'll post this now and if I do get another chance to work outside, I'll do another update later on.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 28th June 2015, 18:32

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Taking shape now Paul!
Ref the busted file, I would have tried a stick-magnet, and after failure, foamed it it there!
Good luck with it.
Old 28th June 2015, 18:33

Quick Question:
Messing about with the seat belts yesterday reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask...

Do the eye bolts simply get tightened straight onto the mounting plate?

Or are there any washers, nuts, etc. I should be using as well?

A Poor Show:
Drilling the 4 holes in the passenger side floor was straight forward enough.

My plan for using just a spacer for the 2 front holes & some extra washers for the rear 2 holes was also simple enough.

But getting the seat into the correct position to test bolting it into position is not a one man job.

I tried taping the bolts in place from underneath...

Guides on the holes...

Guides on the seat...

But nothing worked, so that will have to wait for another day when I can call on an extra pair of hands.
( I'll also jack the car up to give me more room to work underneath the floor. )

So for now, this is just a mock up to give you an idea of what the underside will look like.

Next I re-fitted the bottom half of the steering column.

This was a painfully slow process given the lack of room to tighten the nut up more than a fraction of a turn at a time.

Then I started to fit the bulkhead bracket / seal.

But quickly discovered this is another job that requires two people to complete.
( As there is no way to reach both sides of the bolt & nut at the same time. )

Just to add insult to injury, at this point I felt a drop of rain and had to call it a day.

So not the most productive car session I've ever had by any means.

Until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
Guy Martin
This was a Father's Day present last Sunday and I've already finished it, a most enjoyable read.

One bit of trivia for you:
- Guy's first crash in a motorcycle race was at Park curve on the Cadwell Park circuit.
- This is the very same corner that I had my last crash in a motorcycle race.
( Hit by another rider, spectacular tumble, knocked out cold, race red flagged, trip in the back of an ambulance. )

I've got Cordite kit #7 and always planned to use a variation on Barry Sheene's number for my racing roundels.

So I might find room to include a small Guy Martin logo with my "sponsors" stickers.

The book also includes some cracking photos, including this one.

Old 28th June 2015, 18:39

Scottie - Sorry I only saw your reply appeared after I posted my message.

It was quite nice getting the body shell back on last week, as it at least looks more like a car.

It it the same with seeing the seats in there, it gives me hope.

Although I need to find more hours to work on the car, or it will take me another 3 years at this rate!!

Cheers, Paul.