Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 8th August 2010, 09:35
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road
Default Non Kit Car Audio Install Help!

Hi chaps,

We've finally replace the terrible piece of shonky french engineering (AKA the Laguna) with a nice new dependable German (AKA a MK5 Golf)

As it was just an SE spec model, the stereo was very basic. So I spent yesterday replacing it with a Kenwood headunit that has all the usual toys you expect these days (iPod connectivity, BT handsfree phone etc)

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk...usb/KDC-BT50U/

Install went fine, and the radio fires up fine. The only issue is that I don't think it's getting a constant feed when then ignition is off, as it seems to loose all settings once the car is turned off.

According to the Kenwood install instructions I needed to swap over two bullet connectors on the provided harness to ensure constant power goes to the right ISO pins, as VW seem to do things differently than the rest of the automotive world. So I swapped the iso connector power leads so the yellow constant battery feed goes to pin A7, and the switched ignition feed goes to pin A4. By default, the harness has the constant battery to pin A4, and ignition to A7.

Obviously this isn't doing the job! I would just swap them back and try that, but I thought I'd ask first.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting stereos to VAG cars?
Available from eBay
Old 8th August 2010, 11:54
Enthusiast

All sorted.

I traced the power lines back, and The CAN bus interface I had bought to connect the stereo to the car loom already swaps these lines - so by swapping them via the bullet connectors as per the Kenwood instructions, I was swapping the leads back to their non VW configuration.

Ah well. Live and learn.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:33

Millsette is on a distinguished road

Hi Great Old One,

I would be so grateful for your advise about this car head unit. I'm trying to make sure I choose the right product as if navigation is tricky to get my head around regarding electronics, I quite often end up giving up on them!

I am considering buying the same Kenwood KDC-BT50U as you. The other option is an alpine cde-103 BT. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind commenting on how you find the Kenwood's usability now that's its all set up? Is it user friendly for phone hands free and connecting ipods scrolling through your albums? I would like to get this product because of the parrot caller ID that comes part of the bluetooth, in addition to the 35 different voice recognition settings. However my concern is I have read complaints that Kenwood's can be a little tricky to get your head around with multiple set up options, small fiddly buttons and 'favourites' that don't remain once the ignition is turned off. The alpine, though with out the caller id does not seem to suffer from the same aches and pains.

What are your views on this? I am having difficulty finding people's review's on this particular product and am asking around to try to seek their advice.

Thanks so much, I would be so grateful if you can help.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:26
Enthusiast

Handfree is fine, but the method of selecting a number could be better. You can have up to 6 shortcuts / favourite numbers, and by hiting the fav button you can scroll through the six and then dial them by hitting the call button.

You can also scroll through the whole phone book if your phone is compatible with adress book downloads - but this seems very slow, and not something you'd want to do whilst moving!

As for iPod connectivity - it works well, with a caveat. Scrolling through large lists to select a track / playlist or album is a pain. However, it's easily overcome by setting the headunit to 'hand' mode (That's what's its called in the menus - don't ask me why...)

This allows full navigation on the iPod itself, which makes music selection much easier. When I hook my iPhone up to it, I mount the phone on a cradle and turn it to lansdcape mode. Nice big coverflow interface makes it a doddle to switch tracks... And if I want a play list, I just spin the cradle 90 degrees to get the normal 'list' interface back.

I'm happy with it, and Kenwood is a brand I have used before (I have a DDX-8024BT in my Jag).

It does the job, and was relatively inexpensive (£150) - A major consideration as this is our 'run-around / commuter' car that will get hammered.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:52

Millsette is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much.

That is really good to know that you can select tracks from the ipod like that.

And the favourites on the phone book sounds like a bonus too.

Glad it is working well for you, it does seem like a really good buy and I'm sure others browsing the web will be grateful to read your thoughts on it.

Thanks again!