Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 29th July 2012, 17:17

KrazyKen is on a distinguished road
Default Kens Marlin 5exi For Sale

The time has finally come for me to move onto pastures new mainly due to my diabetes getting worse and the need to spend more time getting regular exercise. Below is the ad which is now on Pistonheads but if you know of anyone who may be interested please send them my way.

Marlin 5exi – T110 LAF

Build

Professionally built by John Watson of Which Kit? Magazine now Complete Kit Car (CKC). Complete build featured in the magazine and a CD of all the articles will come with the car. The car passed SVA in Feb 2005 and was bought by me on 1st July 2006. CKC Magazine have regularly featured the car in various editorial articles since the build covering my exploits and car improvements.

Engine & Gearbox

The original donor was a Rover BRM which came with the 143BHP VVC engine and Close Ratio PG1 Gearbox with Torsen Limited Slip Differential (LSD). In 2009 this was upgraded to a fully rebuilt, low mileage 160BHP VVC engine. Not content with this, in 2011 the engine was upgraded by Dave Andrews of DVA power www.dvapower.co.uk with the fitting of his K06a kit and a baffled sump.

K06a - Gives a very useful power and torque increase across the range and especially between 4500 and 7200 rpm, comprising a fully ported cylinder head, retiming of the VVC inlet camshafts and improved exhaust camshaft together with all gaskets, oil seals and head bolts necessary to fit. This kit retains the original VVC mechanisms and standard ECU. The head is provided on an exchange basis. Fitting includes work to your exhaust manifold and inlet plenum. Recent examples have given 175BHP and 179BHP/140ft/lb respectively.

At the same time a bespoke stainless steel 4-2-1 exhaust system was designed and fitted by Exhausts by Design along with a cold air feed and bigger air box to allow maximum power. All of the historical K-Series engine problems have been eradicated with a fully linished block, correct liner heights and a remote PRT thermostat. The engine has never suffered a head gasket failure.

Suspension

In order to achieve ultimate handling, the rear suspension has been redesigned by Track Developments Ltd. after being analysed through their RaceDyne suspension software. The original heavy steel Gaz dampers have been replaced by lightweight Protech aluminium dampers which are much more effective and lighter units. The spring rates and spring lengths have also been changed to achieve the best handling. Front and Rear Anti Roll Bars have been added which both have 5 different settings. Despite all the modifications, the car is very comfortable and compliant on road settings which can easily be adjusted and stiffened up for track use in less than 2 minutes.

Brakes

The original Rover braking system including Bosch ABS has been retained for superb safe stopping power. In the last 12 months the master cylinder, brake discs and all of the callipers have been renewed as the originals were 13 years old. The stopping power matches the performance and the brakes have always been fitted with EBC Race Brake Fluid and Yellowstuff pads all round.

Interior & Convenience

MOMO F1 steering wheel with Sparco race seats and FIA approved Willans 3” aircraft buckle harnesses. The seats are bolted directly to Unistrut mounts which can be adjusted according to the regular drivers height. The side stowage bins and the space behind the seats make the car surprisingly practical and can easily be taken on Continental Trips. The car also has the full wet weather system complete with the inflatable roof tensioner which is remarkably effective.

Body and Aerodynamics

The car is in the original Marlin yellow gel coat which is of good quality and thickness, any minor marks can easily be rubbed down and polished out. Track Developments have designed the higher rear spoiler struts to place the spoiler into clean air, this has been complemented with front Dive Planes and smooth air flow under the front. This has been achieved by boxing in under the front bodywork with flexible plastic, which allows the front clam to tilt but retains a smooth underfloor.

Wheels & Tyres

ROTA lightweight alloy wheels with Federal 595 RSR track day tyres, fitted new in June 2012.

Track Use

If you are looking for a car that you can drive to the track with superb performance and handling, and drive home again, then this is the car for you. Due to all the modifications above, this car will easily outperform cars costing 10 times as much. On track I have overtaken a Lotus Exige, Porsche 911 GT3 and a race prepared 8 litre Dodge Viper. If the decals are not to your taste these can easily be removed or personalised with your details. Also included is a cat replacement Custom Chrome silencer which brings the noise level down to 95dB, perfect for track days.

The MOT is valid until 16 Aug 2013 and the tax which expires at the end of October 2012. A number of spare or replacement parts which I have built up over the years will also come with the car.

£8995 which is much less than has been spent on the car

If seriously interested please call Ken Robson on 07595 410148 or 07900 007 747
Available from eBay
Old 29th July 2012, 17:21

Please can someone let me know how to upload the pics, or can I send you an email with 7 pics no bigger than 0.5MB each so that you can do it for me?

Thanks

Ken
Old 31st July 2012, 06:49
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Here's some pictures of Ken's car.

Old 15th September 2012, 19:38

Thanks for uploading the pictures John.

Now reduced to £8250, will take £8K but no less

it is now for sale on Marlins website, CKC and the dreaded Fleabay. Whoever gets it next will have one hell of a track car.