Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 4th May 2012, 21:21

Viatron is on a distinguished road

And so it begins,
https://picasaweb.google.com/1115295...eat=directlink
Old 10th May 2012, 17:00

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default What else have you done, V.

Is it all stripped down yet?
Old 10th May 2012, 17:24

Trailer failure has ment i cant pick it up until tuesday but have 3 days off the end of next week so with the help of my mate "Railway Dave" were hoping to have it stripped to a bare rolling chassis by next weekend. Unfortuantley i have still got the rebuild of the race car running alongside so will be splitting time between the 2 but being self employes means i can take time off when i want so hoping to make good progress in the next 3 weeks, just went to the body shop today to see the race chassis in paint
Race Chassis
Old 11th May 2012, 13:51

V, what is the chassis... stock car or dragster?
Old 20th May 2012, 14:22

Chassis in the background is our tiger gta race car

Bad news on the donor, turns out the diff is seized so deposit has been returned and a new donor purchased off gum tree in better nick for less money only problem is its it north London! Unfortunately I'm away in Whitley bay on a job until a week next Thursday so progress has stalled a bit.
Did manage to pick up an eBay bargain though in the form of a triumph 1500 fwd head assembly, brand new and still in its original packing grease. Told by my triumph guru it's a straight swap for the spitfire one but has larger valves so will breath better.
All acquired an overdrive gearbox as the original donor was a 4 speed, new donor comes with I'd so looks like I'm building up a spares shelf already!
Old 21st May 2012, 16:20

Seems like a better deal, especially if there going to wait for you to pick up. Just Googled Tiger GTA, it seems a similar style? Won't you think one doesn't perform as well as the other one?
Old 21st May 2012, 21:25

Completley different beasts, the GTA although road legal is an out and out racer, 248 bhp at the flywheel (tested on Scholar racings engine dyno not a rolling road) with a twin plate 5 1/2" clutch thats more akin to a switch and a tranx straight cut box, hence building the cordite, i need something sane i can drive without giving me major back damage and probably ending with me in a ditch!
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:53

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
... i need something sane i can drive without giving me major back damage and probably ending with me in a ditch!
Ha ha ha! You're building a Cordite because it's sane you say. Ha ha ha! Nice one. Ha ha ha! Oooh, stop it, my sides are hurting.
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:01

:-)
Old 16th June 2012, 19:31

Well after 2 false starts i finally picked up my donor today, a complete car less the body but including the required chassis plates and a V5, 2 spare od gearboxes, 4 speed box, 1300FD engine, brand new calipers, 3 diffs, 2 fuel tanks and a brand new generator and boxes and boxes of "Spares" the seller threw in as he is moving next week.
The chassis looks to be totally rot free and has been dropped off at the blasters on the way back so will be clean ready for closer inspection next saturday when i get back from Swansea.
This is what about a spitfire and a half looks like in kit form!

Last edited by Viatron; 25th June 2012 at 15:25..
Old 25th June 2012, 15:40

Finally got the chassis back from the blasters this morning, its in pretty much perfect condition with no...yes read it again...no rot visible anywhere. Have had a good tap around with a hammer and cant find any parts that sound as though they are even thin so very very happy.

Last edited by Viatron; 25th June 2012 at 15:43..
Old 25th June 2012, 15:45

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

That's the best news that a blasting can provide.
Old 25th June 2012, 16:00

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Blimey! Superb result!
Old 25th June 2012, 16:21

A thing of beauty.
Old 25th June 2012, 16:43

and rarity! i was steeling myself for a few days welding but looks like ill be able to plough on with the running gear refurb instead :-)
Even all the brake pipe and wiring capture tangs are all present and correct!
And as a nice onus the chassis number is now even clearer than before and matches the V5 perfectly, i was sure it did but nice to see it clear as day.
Only bit the blaster didint get was behind the 2 fron suspension turrets but 30 minuts with a set of spanners and the grinder with a wire brush and there removed and all cleaned up already.
Old 25th June 2012, 18:48

That's great news, you're one lucky so and so.
Old 25th June 2012, 19:21

Paul L is on a distinguished road

I know you had a lot of hassle getting the right donor, but it looks like it was worth the wait.
Old 25th June 2012, 20:10

Yes definately fell on a good one and at silly money as well so alls well that ends well, dropping off the 2 diffs and 3 od gearboxes to my transmission man tomorrow for rebuild of 1 of each using the remainders to rob bits off if necessary.
Just starting building the frost DIY build blast cabinet, once thats done it will be full steam ahead with cleaning, painting and refurbing suspension parts.
Old 12th January 2013, 08:15

Well I'm back again, bit of a false start I seem to have suffered the sammio communication issue so will be re ordering whatever the cordite replacement is called ( yes I know I need to catch up) from Andy on my return from Sri Lanka where I am currently sunning myself till the end of the month. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will be able to go the German front end option as that's not available from Andy, unless anyone has one knocking around?
So far I have had the diff and gearbox stripped and rebuilt and have completely blasted and etch primed and painted all the suspension parts. All the ball joint, trunnions etc have been renewed and a full polybush set has been fitted. Now I know the front end of the chassis won't need cutting to accomadation the German bonnet other than the usual front bonnet mount ill be getting the chassis off to the galvanisers on my return and then get it in the booth for etch priming and finish painted in black truckcoat. Bearing in mind that all the parts are ready to go I'm hopeful I can get a rolling chassis together in a couple of days once its back from the paint shop.
Engine should be ready on my return, gone for a full rebuild with some tweaks, fast road cam, mild head porting with oversized valves as I managed to pickup a brand new triumph 1500 FWD head off ebay for pennies and apart from being skimmed a bit it will drop straight onto the 1300 FD. I already have a megajolt system so will be doing away with the distributor, I also have a shiney new webber manifold waiting to be fitted along with a webber DCOE45 that I picked up off ebay, it's all stripped just needs reassembly.
I have also managed to pickup a set of triumph wire wheels of gumtree for the princely sum of £200 and they seem to be in v good nick with little or no corrosion so they will be getting blasted and repowdercoated, unfortunately they didn't come with the hub adapters or spinners so will have to buy those new unless anyone has a set they want to move on?
Think that's it for now
Mac

Last edited by Viatron; 25th January 2013 at 05:44..
Old 12th January 2013, 09:57

Welcome back, Mac. If you've got 13" Spitfire wires then you should be able to get a new set of 'short' hubs, nuts and spinners for a little over £200.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRE-WHEEL...item5d25f27dd3

Second hand adaptors would be cheaper, but the splines do wear out with use leaving you with no drive and/or no brakes...

Looking forward to seeing some progress when you get back from Sri Lanka.