Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 7th March 2015, 13:38

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
...I saw this set being advertised and I had to have them...
And we can see why- now the big question- silver or gold?

Smaller question- what am I doing on here when I could be zooming round the countryside top-down in mine?

That will be rectified within the hour.
Old 7th March 2015, 13:49

jones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
And we can see why- now the big question- silver or gold?
Haha yes this is the question - I think that will literally will be the last to be answered once the car is painted - I am going with a blue, I am deciding between two shades and that will determine the wheel colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
Smaller question- what am I doing on here when I could be zooming round the countryside top-down in mine?

That will be rectified within the hour.
Oh and thanks after I complain my project has ground to a halt you decided to grab a cup of salt and firmly rub it in that wound!

Enjoy the drive Ian
Old 7th March 2015, 23:19

Unintentional I assure you.
You'll get there...
Old 11th March 2015, 21:44

So absolutely manic week at work continues, the wife is away in the big smoke for work for a few days leaving me to my own devices...

...well the evening got off to a good start I opened the front door and just inside was a tall stack of four boxes waiting for me. Well it would have been rude to ignore them so jacket off laptop bag slung to the floor.

With comprehensive wrapping and so careful knife work, Viola! 1 front wheel and 1 rear opened.

Front wheel -

Rear wheel

The hub caps are in great condition with the right locking bolts and perfect condition O-rings

So a good mid-week treat

Plus the wheels are in such good condition I will be sticking with their colour for now for sure I think the shade of blue I will paint the car might change but lets be honest we are a Looonnnnnnnggggggggggg way from that stage
Old 20th March 2015, 19:53

So taking inspiration from Paul I have stolen a few minutes from day to day activities such as work, chasing British Gas after the installed a new boiler yesterday but at 6am I found out via a very angry alarm that the shower pump wasn't working so needed them to fix that. turns out the engineer had mistaken the power switch for the pump in the loft as a non working light switch so left it off!

So determined to get a full weekend of sorts on the car to pick up the progress. I am biting the bullet at going to do the rear lights drilled and fitted. tonight was positioning. aware that the fight against the diminishing light was always one I will lose I made a template of the rear transferred it to the only bit of cardboard I have to start working out the placements. My obligatory photos:

Some guestimates...

The layout tonight is...

I had kept the template on the conservative side due to the curved edges so I am going to see if I can keep the spacing but move further outwards. We shall see tomorrow!

Last edited by jones; 20th March 2015 at 22:15..
Old 20th March 2015, 20:50

garyh is on a distinguished road

Just thinking out loud... Too tight, does it have to be 3up?
Old 20th March 2015, 21:21

Hi Gary, thanks for the comment.

In all honesty I am trying to embrace everything from the 250 without try to do a badged up faux ferr@ri. My inspiration is this car...

Old 20th March 2015, 22:04

garyh is on a distinguished road

wow, far enough... May not be pretty, but it's original.
Old 21st March 2015, 09:49

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Wow, that NART Cavallino Rampante badge is so subtle...
Old 21st March 2015, 21:05

So a lazy start to the day but an hour or two later I am in full swing! Awaiting a delivery for some new welding gloves I got on with some other jobs.

1st up making the boot hinges:

I noticed they could be cut and then using the existing pieces it can be made into what I need. It will now be bolted to the boot rain gutter, I will support it with a metal plate on the topside to spread the load.

Then I got on and did the rear lights - Its an optical illusion on the reflectors looking out of line - measured about 10 times and then when I fitted look straight close up but stood back look out of line - will tweek closer to paint.

I paused before doing the other side and decided I needed fulfill some cutting stuff urges as it started to cloud over at this point and to do the cutting i wanted I had to remove the rear shell.

Yep I wanted a single boot only...

So with the clouds ever darker I put the car 'back together' good the cover on and clamped down and then got back to the lights. I jacked up the car on one side and stuck the spirit level on to make sure it was perfectly level. Grabbed the template and started marking out and drilling holes. This is what I am left with:

Last edited by jones; 27th April 2015 at 19:53..
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:16

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

I done the same with my boot.
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:19

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Old 22nd March 2015, 11:26

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jones - Nice work on the lights.

And I know what you mean about how photos make things look different to reality.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 22nd March 2015, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Jones - Nice work on the lights.
+1 from me.

I've just spent the afternoon (amongst other bodywork filling/sanding etc.) moving a rear indicator 6mm to the right !!!
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:49

Thanks Paul and Ian A I appreciate that a lot.

So today back to making no real progress that people can see on the car, mainly because I spent the day practising welds on scrap. I did however make the boot lid frame that the hinges and boot will be fixed to. Before I started my day I pushed the car back to take some pics without the cover on. I also attached all the conversion wiring loom I had soldered for the rear lights last night.

Oh and although the light was fading I needed a pick me up after what was quite a frustrating day setting up the welder that I had never used before. To be honest I can only blame myself for not getting to grips with it sooner certainly not the machines fault. So I fitted a rear wheel just to see...

Last edited by jones; 27th April 2015 at 13:18.. Reason: typo
Old 23rd March 2015, 21:08

So due to a flat battery I wasn't able to test the wiring I had done over the weekend. Shamefully I have to admit I didn't own a set of jump leads so on my way home from the office tonight I stopped off and picked some up. Good news after not being run since November its started first time didn't even have to rev it! Although since I ripped off the tail pipe it's definitely ummm a little louder and blowing but ah well

Unfortunately it is freakin' difficult to to take a picture of the lights working, this is the best I could do...

Last edited by jones; 27th April 2015 at 13:19..
Old 27th April 2015, 13:27

I wanted to give an update: unfortunately the build is not progressing at the pace it should be or I want it to be. I should at least of had it all bonded on, in primer and MOT'd by now. The bad news is that my father has been on a losing battle with the dreaded prostate cancer for a couple of years now and is coming to the end of his battle so for the last few months I have basically been in Norfolk where my parents live to support my mother and obviously him too.

So for now I will have to suffice with living my Kit Car dream vicariously through others build threads Scottie, Paul L, Viatron and many others until a time where I can devote some kind of attention on the car.

I will say however it has not stopped me in purchasing much needed items for the finishing stretch! Viatron mentioned a website on his thread so I checked it out and a few days later and I have a package delivered today containing a (functioning) wing mirror and some chrome washer jets. Good quality GREAT price I felt - http://www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk
Old 27th April 2015, 18:08

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jones - I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

I don't think you will never regret spending this time with your parents.

Take care, Paul.
Old 27th April 2015, 18:13

seanick is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with projects taking a back seat for the real world.

I think silver, but gold would be a head turner.

I like your wheels. Maybe Gold bodywork would suit them......
Old 28th April 2015, 09:03

Paul, Seanick - thanks for the kind words, obviously you are both right. I wish I could just get the car in my garage and then when I pull up to the house after being away over the weekend or at the office during the week that I didn't have to see it awaiting some love and attention.

Having said that - I hope to do some work on the car this weekend my parents have insisted that I stay home and go to Stoneleigh and to be honest I think they are sick of the sight of me but I will play it by ear. If I do stay home then the weekend will consist of painting the roll cage its all prepped just needs to be primed and topcoat. thinking satin black? get the rails bonded on for the headlining panel to screw onto and to create a void for the wiring. Then bond the rear on!

I am hoping I can at least get the car on the road so my dad can see it, he has helped out and stood in disbelief sometimes on my numerous car projects.

Last edited by jones; 18th May 2015 at 16:57..